Former Bruins Tuukka Rask

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Here's an excerpt on Rask from Fluto's piece today about Bergeron in The Athletic:

Bruins’ Patrice Bergeron set to return, grateful latest head injury wasn’t worse: ‘You think about your future’

'Bergeron has not been able to help having the future and its variability enter his thinking. Like everybody else, the captain believed Tuukka Rask would be well on his way by now to being back for another Stanley Cup pursuit.

That plan went sideways. Rask retired after discomfort in his back and hip made him realize he could not return to his previous form. It will be up to Linus Ullmark, who will start against the Islanders, and Jeremy Swayman to brick up the net in Rask’s place.

Not only are Bergeron and Rask good friends, but neighbors as well. Bergeron recently invited Rask over to his home to discuss their accomplishments and the likely conclusion of their on-ice fellowship. Bergeron did not enjoy watching his longtime teammate grind through post-surgery rehab to reach an ending nobody wanted.

“It was hard to see him go through all of it, battling his way back and working extremely hard to feeling good enough to be back on the ice, practicing and playing with us,” said Bergeron. “And for him to realize, not the actual injury, but lingering stuff is coming back and he’s not able to play where his standards are and where he’s been his whole career is tough. As a friend, it’s tough to see. That being said, I think we should really feel so fortunate for what he’s done to the organization and for me to have a friend like him.”'

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Oh, thank you! It's nice to hear as I'm always very insecure about my English skills hahah. And I'm from Finland, very surprisingly :)

In the short amount of time I've spend amongst the Nordic countries and their people, I found their English skills superior to most Americans. ;)

Reactions: hopeeew

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Certainly superior to mine and I’ve been here my whole life.

As my European colleagues used to tease me:

What do you call someone who knows 3 languages? Trilingual.
What do you call someone who knows 2 languages? Bilingual.
What do you call someone who knows 1 language? American.

But I always got the last laugh, because I'd reply "And most of us don't even know that one!"

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Oh, thank you! It's nice to hear as I'm always very insecure about my English skills hahah. And I'm from Finland, very surprisingly :)

That certainly makes sense! I hope to visit Finland one day, looks like a great country. And I've been a fan of Finnish racing drivers for many years - Mika Hakkinen, Kimi Raikkonen, Tommi Makinen and others.

Reactions: Plural and hopeeew

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BRUINS TO HONOR TUUKKA RASK WITH CEREMONIAL PUCK DROP ON MARCH 31 AGAINST THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS

BOSTON – The Boston Bruins will honor the career of Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask on Thursday, March 31 when Boston hosts the New Jersey Devils at TD Garden at 7 p.m.

Rask, who spent all 15 seasons in the NHL with the Bruins, will perform the ceremonial puck drop prior to the start of the game. The goaltender amassed a record of 308-165-66 during his time in Boston, with a 2.28 goals against average and .921 save percentage. Rask is Boston’s leader in wins (308) and is second among the franchise’s goaltenders in shutouts (52).

The Savonlinna, Finland native won multiple awards with Boston throughout his career, including the William M. Jennings Trophy in 2019-20, the Vezina Trophy in 2013-14, and a Stanley Cup with the Bruins in 2010-11. Rask was also voted to the NHL First All-Star Team in 2014 and the NHL Second All-Star Team in 2020.

Rask announced his retirement on Wednesday, February 9, 2022.

Reactions: TimThomas24 and TCB

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
BRUINS TO HONOR TUUKKA RASK WITH CEREMONIAL PUCK DROP ON MARCH 31 AGAINST THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS

BOSTON – The Boston Bruins will honor the career of Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask on Thursday, March 31 when Boston hosts the New Jersey Devils at TD Garden at 7 p.m.

Rask, who spent all 15 seasons in the NHL with the Bruins, will perform the ceremonial puck drop prior to the start of the game. The goaltender amassed a record of 308-165-66 during his time in Boston, with a 2.28 goals against average and .921 save percentage. Rask is Boston’s leader in wins (308) and is second among the franchise’s goaltenders in shutouts (52).

The Savonlinna, Finland native won multiple awards with Boston throughout his career, including the William M. Jennings Trophy in 2019-20, the Vezina Trophy in 2013-14, and a Stanley Cup with the Bruins in 2010-11. Rask was also voted to the NHL First All-Star Team in 2014 and the NHL Second All-Star Team in 2020.

Rask announced his retirement on Wednesday, February 9, 2022.
I mean, personally, I would have done it on March 29.

Against Toronto. :D:D:D

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Rask’s new job as a “handshaker” is such a good fit for him. I can absolutely see him going golfing with some big wig, drinking an entire 30 rack of beer and inking some multi million dollar sponsorship every week. He’s so chill and funny. Happy he’s still going to be with the org and last night was a nice tribute.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Tuukka Rask didn’t have to worry about nerves as he prepared to step on the ice at TD Garden for the first time since he officially announced his retirement in February and, in his mind, what might be the last time in a long while.
He was used to seeing the crowd.
“I’m kind of more uncomfortable wearing a suit and going on the ice than wearing my uniform,” he said. “It’s a little different.”
Rask was honored by the Bruins before their matchup Thursday against the Devils at TD Garden. He performed the ceremonial puck drop with his wife and three daughters on hand.

Rask’s 15-year career (all in Boston) came to an end two months ago after a failed comeback attempt. The 35-year-old goalie had offseason hip surgery last summer, but the Bruins left the door open if he wanted to return. He did in January, but it took just four games to realize his body couldn’t stand the rigors.

With his retirement decision behind him, Rask said his body feels fine, and was comfortable with the outcome.

“Most days, it feels like, ‘Yeah, I think I could do it,” he said. “But then you get a day or two where you’re like, ‘Oh, thank God I don’t have to put the gear on and go butterfly.’ So yeah, there’s days that I feel great and, hopefully, it continues that way. But I know that it just wouldn’t hold if I was playing. So I always keep that in the back of my mind.”

Rask said he wasn’t disappointed by the outcome of his comeback attempt even though he went through with the surgery last summer.

“I would have done the surgery anyways at some point because it was at the point that it affected my everyday life,” he said. “I just did it because I wanted to come back and play because I couldn’t play without the surgery. knew that going into the surgery, that it’s going to go either way. Did the rehab, tried to come back. At least I tried, right?”

Rask didn’t see a future for himself as a coach quite yet, but he will work with the organization on corporate sponsorships.

“I’ll be hanging out with sponsors, golfing and shaking hands in suites,” he said. “We’re going to have to figure out a better title for me, I guess. But that’s something I’ve always been intrigued about — the business side of things — anyways. I don’t know what the future holds. Maybe I’ll get into coaching, maybe not. But for now, I’ll be hanging out with sponsors.”

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Boy were we blessed. Thomas, then Rask for a decade. I was and still am a HUGE fan of Rask. Wish him the best, congrats for a great Bruins career.

With Rask, Bergy, DK, Marchand etc... boy were we bless with stability and alot of players playing for ONE team in Cap Era.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Oh wow, that's so weird! Is there any footage of the game around? I did a quick search and unfortunately couldn't find any. I want to see what sort of moves Tuuk has playing forward!
These guys will have it within a couple of days/weeks, I'm sure.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
#blametuukka ;)

So glad he’s skating with the alums and still a part of the organization

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Did I see that Lemelin skates out with the alumni team too?
Yes, I played against Reggie a couple of times in Bruins Alumni games. He has tremendous skill as a forward.

My daughter skated out with us in one of our Alumni games, and she was wearing her goalie skates. Reggie spotted it immediately and chatted her up for awhile after the game. First class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad