Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Fun fact that no one ever considers, is that Thomas didn't really do anything in the 2011 finals. Not to say he wasn't good in the series against Vancouver, but he didn't need to be. In the games he stood on his head Bruins lost by one goal. In every other game the Bruins destroyed the Canucks, winning by 4+ goals. It was arguably the most one sided 7 game series ever. Thomas deserved his Conn Smythe for getting the Bruins there and his teammates rewarded him by finishing the job. Rask gave them the same chance twice, but the team around him wasn't up to the task.
100% this.

Thomas was outstanding overall on that run, but the finals was a weird one, stood on his head in the losses and although he made some big saves in the wins, they were pretty much just another highlight in 4 beatdowns

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Fun fact that no one ever considers, is that Thomas didn't really do anything in the 2011 finals. Not to say he wasn't good in the series against Vancouver, but he didn't need to be. In the games he stood on his head Bruins lost by one goal. In every other game the Bruins destroyed the Canucks, winning by 4+ goals. It was arguably the most one sided 7 game series ever. Thomas deserved his Conn Smythe for getting the Bruins there and his teammates rewarded him by finishing the job. Rask gave them the same chance twice, but the team around him wasn't up to the task.

This gets lost about that Final. Living in Van nowadays I still hear this b.s. that Thomas stole it or 'the refs'.
Thomas had some nice saves but wasn't overly tested. Luongo, who actually looked great in the first two games, was under seige. The Bruins were just a much better team.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Ty is right on.

Guy catches soooo much flak.

Idk if a lot of people here listen to Spittin Chiclets, but I swear every so often Rask is brought up and how he is so undervalued by this fan base it’s not even funny. And they’re right.

The post Rask days are coming. And it’s going to be a rude awakening for many.

/rant.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Ty is right on.

Idk if a lot of people here listen to Spittin Chiclets, but I swear every so often Rask is brought up and how he is so undervalued by this fan base it’s not even funny. And they’re right.

/rant.

the vocal segment of the fan base that dislikes him are *the most* delusional fans in all of the NHL. Leafs fans? Habs fans? 2011 Canucks fans??? Nope. They’re in our own yard

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
the vocal segment of the fan base that dislikes him are *the most* delusional fans in all of the NHL. Leafs fans? Habs fans? 2011 Canucks fans??? Nope. They’re in our own yard

Familiarity breeds contempt way offset by you don't
know what you got to its gone...lol.

Reactions: CDJ

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Ty is right on.

/rant.

Amen.

Some people didn't live through the revolving door of shit called Grahame/Raycroft/Toivonen/Potvin/Fernandez and it shows

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Ty is right on.

/rant.

Spoiled from over a decade of always having a top-3 goaltender in the league. Long enough to remember the many years before that, apparently...

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I don't think it was even that bad of a night. Two of the goals were screens (the Panik one, he was blinded and the shot deflected off his hip - you can see it in the replay). The other two were top-shelf/corner lasers by Backstrom and freakin' OV.

I always find it amusing how when a B's goalie gets scored on by elite snipers, we blame our goalie; but when one of our elite snipers – Pasta or Marchand – zips one top-shelf, it's to their glory and talent, not the opposing goalie's shortcomings. Interesting.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I don't think it was even that bad of a night. Two of the goals were screens (the Panik one, he was blinded and the shot deflected off his hip - you can see it in the replay). The other two were top-shelf/corner lasers by Backstrom and freakin' OV.

I always find it amusing how when a B's goalie gets scored on by elite snipers, we blame our goalie; but when one of our elite snipers – Pasta or Marchand – zips one top-shelf, it's to their glory and talent, not the opposing goalie's shortcomings. Interesting.
I didn’t think he had a bad game either, really. I think he’s a bit of a head case, but he’s a good goalie for sure, and has been quite good so far this year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Could you imagine if Tuukka was a maple leaf? We wouldn’t stop hearing about how great he is. Instead we have to deal with a loud minority of mouthbreathers that go out of their way to shit on the guy at the slightest hint of a bad game (it wasn’t even THAT bad of a game, he gave them a chance to beat an elite team). A lot of goalies would have allowed a goal on the chances immediately after we tied it up

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

You can wiff on one goal, maybe two but you can't wiff on all of them, you can be in denial if you like but Tuukka was horrible last night. He struggled to track the puck and it was obvious in all 4 goals. So go ahead and make excuses for him but your takes are ridiculous . All those goals were stopable , he just wasn't on . And that's OK everyone has a bad game, but stop with the BS and the excuse making crap. Last night was on him more than anyone else.

Yes I know I said move on above but that goes for everyone .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Amen.

Some people didn't live through the revolving door of shit called Grahame/Raycroft/Toivonen/Potvin/Fernandez and it shows

And those were some of the better ones. Names like Casey, Shields, Hackett, Carey, Blue, Riendeau, Billington, still bring back nightmares from the mid-90s-early 2000s.

We are spoiled here with Thomas and Rask anchoring the Goalie position here for now over a decade.

Reactions: Dr Hook

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
You can wiff on one goal, maybe two but you can't wiff on all of them, you can be in denial if you like but Tuukka was horrible last night. He struggled to track the puck and it was obvious in all 4 goals. So go ahead and make excuses for him but your takes are ridiculous . All those goals were stopable , he just wasn't on . And that's OK everyone has a bad game, but stop with the BS and the excuse making crap. Last night was on him more than anyone else.

Yes I know I said move on above but that goes for everyone .

"All those goals were stoppable"? How could he have stopped the one where he was completely screened by Panik, and it deflected off Panik's hip? How does any goalie stop that puck, short of simply making a random guess as to where the puck might be going, and getting it right just by sheer luck? Talk about ridiculous.

Sometimes you have to simply tip your hat to elite shooters for making a perfect shot. But, no, it's always the goalie's fault, at least around here, and especially if the goalie is wearing a Bruins jersey.

Reactions: JCRO

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
RASK is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. Bruins have won alot of hockey games in the last 10 years.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
RASK is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. Bruins have won alot of hockey games in the last 10 years.

Top 3 in my book. Vasilevsky- maybe Hellebuyck (but let's see him keep this up for a decade first), but who else? Some guys have had better seasons, but Tuuka is consistently great. Rarely has an off night and every season he is in and around the discussion of the best in the league. That counts for a lot more than the latest flash in the pan who put up eye popping numbers and then fell off. Jim Carey anyone?

Some guys have had better seasons, but Tuuka is consistently great. Rarely has an off night and every season he is in and around the discussion of the best in the league.

While this is true - Let's not forget that he has played for what even now is a DEFENSE FIRST team. Bruce's team may be a little more run and gun, but it's still all about defending.

Tuukka and Halak are not usually required to stand on their head to win a game. Sometimes they do ( like overtime the other night) But most nights the team in front of him has a lot to do with his success.

Not to take away from his abilities in any way - but it's not like he's playing with a bunch of plumbers out there. He's a big part of an Elite defensive team.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Top 3 in my book. Vasilevsky- maybe Hellebuyck (but let's see him keep this up for a decade first), but who else? Some guys have had better seasons, but Tuuka is consistently great. Rarely has an off night and every season he is in and around the discussion of the best in the league. That counts for a lot more than the latest flash in the pan who put up eye popping numbers and then fell off. Jim Carey anyone?

Since 2019 playoffs Tuukka has been top 3 for sure.

But from 2014-15 to the 2019 playoffs he was more like a top 10.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
Since 2019 playoffs Tuukka has been top 3 for sure.

But from 2014-15 to the 2019 playoffs he was more like a top 10.

For his career Tuukka Rask is #1 in ALL TIME save percentage and #11 in ALL TIME goals against (min 200 games). This isn't since he has been around or even since 2014 like you suggest but this is ever. You can say he's only been a top 10 goalie but that only makes sense if you're talking about top ten ever. Based on statistics the only guys you can argue were better were Hasek and Dryden.

I'm sure you will argue but you will just look bad.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
While this is true - Let's not forget that he has played for what even now is a DEFENSE FIRST team. Bruce's team may be a little more run and gun, but it's still all about defending.

Tuukka and Halak are not usually required to stand on their head to win a game. Sometimes they do ( like overtime the other night) But most nights the team in front of him has a lot to do with his success.

Not to take away from his abilities in any way - but it's not like he's playing with a bunch of plumbers out there. He's a big part of an Elite defensive team.
hey whats wrong with plumbers lol?
local 527 represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad