Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Remember 2015 he nearly got moved and Martin Jones was going to be our guy and Cam nixed it because they thought the optics would be terrible. I've never felt that Tuuka enjoyed the kind of commitment and backing from the FO as say Bergeron, Krejci et al.
This is true. Rask cemented himself early and often as the guy that would get us most of the way there and then shit the bed at the finish line. I think the executive have long known this, but he has still been better than the alternative.

Reactions: DangleCity

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This is the ridiculous part to me. Because of the timing people take it as him faking it, but if he wasn't able to handle stress why was he playing in game 6 vs. Chicago in the finals? Why wasn't he sick more often those playoffs? How bout last year, why was he not sick for game 7 vs. Toronto or game 7 vs. St. Louis?

He was literally sick for one playoff game and one game that was the last of the season (and for one international game). Hardly enough to prove correlation.
IMO the reasons for missing games are basically irrelevant. There just always seems to be something going on. He also has put up some stinkers in big games too. So when you combine both of those factors, its just really hard to trust him in a big spot on multiple levels

Reactions: Don Cherry

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
IMO the reasons for missing games are basically irrelevant. There just always seems to be something going on. He also has put up some stinkers in big games too. So when you combine both of those factors, its just really hard to trust him in a big spot on multiple levels
Yes, he either misses the game with the shits, or he’s shit during the game, but either way he tends to shit himself in big games.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

The facts don't exactly back this up. It's simple confirmation bias combined with moving the goalposts in terms of what qualifies as a "big spot".

People love to point out rask's losses in game 7s, but completely ignore the fact that his team forgets how to score in those same games.....or ignore the fact that his goalie peers couldn't even get their teams into those big games to begin with.

Reactions: Smitty93 and CDJ

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The facts don't exactly back this up. It's simple confirmation bias combined with moving the goalposts in terms of what qualifies as a "big spot".

People love to point out rask's losses in game 7s, but completely ignore the fact that his team forgets how to score in those same games.....or ignore the fact that his goalie peers couldn't even get their teams into those big games to begin with.
No one is forgetting anything. He's paid like and is one of the best goalies in the league. Sometimes your goalie needs to steal a game even if your team isnt playing well. Just because his team cant score, doesnt let him off the hook

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
No one is forgetting anything. He's paid like and is one of the best goalies in the league. Sometimes your goalie needs to steal a game even if your team isnt playing well. Just because his team cant score, doesnt let him off the hook

He stole MULTIPLE games in last year's playoff run, just like every other playoff run. But we don't hear about those from a certain segment here. Instead we get the same old tired "big game" nonsense despite him having some of the best playoff numbers in nhl history.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

we get it, you irrationally don’t like the guy

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He stole MULTIPLE games in last year's playoff run, just like every other playoff run. But we don't hear about those from a certain segment here. Instead we get the same old tired "big game" nonsense despite him having some of the best playoff numbers in nhl history.
That's how it works man. The big games have more meaning. He played great last year in the playoffs, but when they really needed it he wasn't there.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

don’t you see it’s only a big game if he plays average, if he plays well in the playoffs like he usually does it means nothing at all and was an easy win with zero pressure

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Rask is the most overrated and underrated player I can think of for a long time.
Some think he is a HHOF, which currently he has zero chance of based on how goalies are inducted.
Some think he is worthless.

Just accept, Rask is simply a very good goalie, not trash but not elite.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Rask is the most overrated and underrated player I can think of for a long time.
Some think he is a HHOF, which currently he has zero chance of based on how goalies are inducted.

He’s not far from elite-status, physically, IMO. His problems stem more from his mentality. He’s just a flaky, unusual guy. I think even he would admit that.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Some people only see big games as elimination games. He really never gets enough credit when the Bruins sweep a team or win in 6 or less games.

Reactions: Dr Hook

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

He's pretty close to elite. I bet the stats would show a guy who has probably been the best goalie or close to it since he entered the league.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Some people only see big games as elimination games. He really never gets enough credit when the Bruins sweep a team or win in 6 or less games.
I mean its doesnt get any bigger than an elimnation game. Whats bigger than that? He got plenty of credit too last season when they went on their run. He played tremendous.

Seems like you want Rask to only get the credit when they win and none when they lose.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
He’s not far from elite-status, physically, IMO. His problems stem more from his mentality. He’s just a flaky, unusual guy. I think even he would admit that.
There is legitimacy to the 'big game' argument - insofar is it would separate him from his peers a little. I made the argument last year that if he won the cup, he would get the Conn Smythe, and get himself in the HHOF discussion. It was not well received as some think he is already in HHOF, but when you realize there are only 36 goalies there, you understand his current resume doesn't get him there.

He's pretty close to elite. I bet the stats would show a guy who has probably been the best goalie or close to it since he entered the league.
The problem is, when you look at everything, he doesn't really separate himself from the crowd which is why I don't call him elite.

Five for Hooking

Oct 6, 2020
If Tuukka returns to his 2019 playoff form no one will be talking about him leaving the bubble. I was pissed and confused as a life long B’s fan I think i’ve been conditioned to disaster striking us and getting the short end of the stick since 1979 lots of tough years in there.I’m glad he’s back and hopefully he can get back in his groove along with everyone after this china virus crap is over. I took a step back and thought about all the years we have had crap goaltending after Moog got traded. Don’t know what you got till it’s gone.

Reactions: BBB24

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If Tuukka returns to his 2019 playoff form no one will be talking about him leaving the bubble. I was pissed and confused as a life long B’s fan I think i’ve been conditioned to disaster striking us and getting the short end of the stick since 1979 lots of tough years in there.I’m glad he’s back and hopefully he can get back in his groove along with everyone after this china virus crap is over. I took a step back and thought about all the years we have had crap goaltending after Moog got traded. Don’t know what you got till it’s gone.

We had the one brief sort of shining moment when Dafoe was solid. What was that, two seasons about? Other than that, until Thomas/Rask it was a giant shit sandwich that we had to eat every season. I would prefer not to go back there ever again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->