Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Mods: Can we make this the catch-all "I wanna irrationally complain about our top 5 goalie because he has a different personality than i'd like him to have" thread, kinda like the 2015 Draft thread, and then we can keep this nonsense out of other threads?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I don’t blame Rask for none of them goals last night. All great shots. I will blame him for saying stuff that should not be said at that time. IMO, if your a Tuukka lover or like him or don’t like him , he put himself out there. If they lose this series he will be blamed. Do I agree.. probably not. But a lot of people told me in my life living as a human being that life isn’t fair. Plus in all honesty do you think some of his teammates are happy what he said. I’m sure TB/ CBJ thought it meant something going 5 OT’s the other night delaying game one for the bruins. See I’m not talking about the bruins I’m talking in general. The teams that lose always have excuses left and right. They can’t overcome bad calls, late making adjustments, they are usually soft playing in the big and most important position on the team , spend the money in wrong areas , draft the wrong players, don’t make bold trades, money, .. that’s professional sports in a nut shell. You don’t gotta like it but it’s true. It’s the sports world we live in.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It wouldn't be a Bruins playoff run without the fans calling for Rask head after a 1 goal loss lol. Still laugh that people blame Rask for cup losses, but ignore things like Marchand recording ZERO points in the 2013 SCF or the team scoring 1 goal in game 7 of the 2019 SCF

Reactions: DBL84

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Don't forget 2010 vs Philly, 2013 vs Chicago or any year vs Montreal. He has always been and always will be a great goalie when there is no pressure and a choker when it matters

2013 SCF fun facts
Marchand - 0 points
Krug - 0 points
Seguin - 0 goals
Horton- 0 goals
Krejci - 0 goals
Jagr - 0 goals

Paille, Kelly & Chara were 3 of Boston's top 5 goal scorers lol

Last year in the SCF the offense was held to 2 goals or less in 4 of the 7 games.... and Rask had better numbers in the SCF than Binnington

Reactions: Pia8988 and DBL84

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
It wouldn't be a Bruins playoff run without the fans calling for Rask head after a 1 goal loss lol. Still laugh that people blame Rask for cup losses, but ignore things like Marchand recording ZERO points in the 2013 SCF or the team scoring 1 goal in game 7 of the 2019 SCF
Did allow five goals in game 4 lost in OT from shot from point. Came out of the net in game 6 when game was tied tried for the Thomas fish out of water save. He’s not blameless. If you want to bring up past I could.. Brad Marchand scored two goals in a Stanley Cup Final game seven also baited the Canuck brothers turning that series around . They knew the bruins could handle them with physical play and they would back down and they did. Things that he said nothing about his play. I like Tuukka but when I think he’s wrong I’ll say it.

Reactions: fin8

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
One more thing I’m just debating this I respect what you say and I agree with some of it . I do.. But regardless if they have fans or not the Stanley Cup is still involved in this. IMO

I understand what your saying . Trust me I get it. I’m peeved at what he said not his play on the ice. I would play him in the rest of the games.. and they will I think

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
2013 SCF fun facts
Marchand - 0 points
Krug - 0 points
Seguin - 0 goals
Horton- 0 goals
Krejci - 0 goals
Jagr - 0 goals

Paille, Kelly & Chara were 3 of Boston's top 5 goal scorers lol

Last year in the SCF the offense was held to 2 goals or less in 4 of the 7 games.... and Rask had better numbers in the SCF than Binnington

Hey, wait. The shock jock local radio guy who barely knows anything about hockey didn't include that stuff in his rant against Tuukka!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
‘It feels dull at times.’ Tuukka Rask’s thoughts on the 2020 NHL playoffs are sure to raise eyebrows - The Boston Globe

As serious as that might sound, if not critical, their goalie, Tuukka Rask, made clear after the loss that he feels something’s missing.

“Well, I mean, considering I had four months off,” said the franchise tender, asked how he felt both mentally and physically after starting on back-to-back nights, “I mean, I’m not in prime shape, but . . . trying to get there. I’m just trying to have fun and play the game. I’m not stressing too much about results and whatnot.

“It’s August, and I haven’t played hockey forever . . . so go out there and have fun and see what happens for me.”

Rask’s a different cat, no question, but that was an unexpected and unusual response, and one that no doubt will dominate Boston talk radio on Friday, over the weekend, and perhaps years to come.

Bruins fans live for this time of year, even if the postseason has been tolled into the dog days of summer. They frame their days around playoff games, dare not run to the fridge in the middle of the action. It won’t go down easy for many of them to hear the No. 1 goalie isn’t stressing like they are stressing.

Because there is “no buzz around the series,” explained Rask, noting special circumstances framed by the COVID-19 pandemic, “it feels dull at times.”

The lack of atmosphere, he added, “makes it feel like an exhibition game . . . but we’re trying our best to kind of ramp up and get energized and make it feel like a playoff game.”

The three-game round-robin tournament, in which the Bruins dropped all three and fell three rungs to the fourth seed in the East, was supposed to be where teams shook physical rust and mental cobwebs.

It didn’t do it for Rask.

When asked about Rask’s comments, teammate Brad Marchand said Rask perhaps was talking about the round-robin tournament. Nope. Rask clearly was focusing on the moment.

“These are playoff games, playoff atmosphere,” said Marchand, who put on a one-man penalty-killing clinic in the third period when the Bruins were scraping for the tying goal. “We are going to compete hard. There’s no question it doesn’t have the same atmosphere, and there’s no home-ice advantage . . . it’s just straight-up hockey at this point.
“Unfortunately, that’s the playoffs this year and, you know, at least we’re playing.”

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Halak is way more proven, Rask has won nothing while *checks notes* Halak has won two playoff series.

In seriousness not sure why Rask wouldn't keep his mouth shut.

EDIT: Just saw above that Marchand said the same thing pretty much, guess it's just them being candid and honest.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Listen, I'm a Rask guy... but if you aren't concerned he said what he said, I don't know what to tell you. That is not what I would want to hear if I was his teammates, his coaches, his GM.... and as a fan, I sure as f*** don't want to hear it.

Exactly...I love Rask, but he's an idiot with his comments. I love how this guy is above reproach. His desire to win has long been called into question and comments like this do not help that. Dude can't even self motivate after all these seasons? What even was he trying to say?

When asked about Rask’s comments, teammate Brad Marchand said Rask perhaps was talking about the round-robin tournament. Nope. Rask clearly was focusing on the moment. Marchand will even be perplexed at those comments.

Rask is clearly not all in and that's a problem.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Exactly...I love Rask, but he's an idiot with his comments. I love how this guy is above reproach. His desire to win has long been called into question and comments like this do not help that. Dude can't even self motivate after all these seasons? What even was he trying to say?

When asked about Rask’s comments, teammate Brad Marchand said Rask perhaps was talking about the round-robin tournament. Nope. Rask clearly was focusing on the moment. Marchand will even be perplexed at those comments.

Rask is clearly not all in and that's a problem.

Precisely. Obviously everybody knows this is different. The last 5 months life has been different... but at the end of the day, if you win 16 games you hold the f***ing Stanley Cup above your head. IMO that should be enough to get you focused and get your mind right and lay it all on the line, especially after the way last year ended. I hope he apologizes for/clarifies his comments today, but even if he does I'm not sure I'd believe him. I would seriously consider playing Halak next game. At the very least I expect Butch or Sweeney to have a conversation with Tuukka.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
While Rask is objectively the better player than Halak, to sit Rask and play Halak in game 3 might send a message to the entire team that they need to have a greater sense of urgency.

If they truly believe that they have this 1 and 1A goaltending situation, the drop between Rask and Halak shouldn’t be that great.

This is a team coming off of a game 7 SCF loss at home, a great regular season, followed by 4 months off and then uninspired play during the round robin.

Clearly, they have the talent to contend for the Cup. The coaching staff will need to push the right buttons.

You look at other franchises that have made tough decisions and have sat a proven starter, even a franchise goaltender. You can always go back to them.

You look at what Columbus has done, losing Bobrovski in free agency, replacing Korpisalo with Merzlikins and then going back to Korpisalo.

Healthy competition is a good thing. If they believe that Halak can win a playoff game, there’s nothing wrong with giving him a start, especially if it sends the message to the rest of the team that they need to up their compete level.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
maybe Rask is getting cabin fever from the bubble and decided to give a few thoughts about his frustration. If the Bruins could actually beat James Reimer and score some 5 on 5 goals this interview does not happen

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
While Rask is objectively the better player than Halak, to sit Rask and play Halak in game 3 might send a message to the entire team that they need to have a greater sense of urgency.

If they truly believe that they have this 1 and 1A goaltending situation, the drop between Rask and Halak shouldn’t be that great.

This is a team coming off of a game 7 SCF loss at home, a great regular season, followed by 4 months off and then uninspired play during the round robin.

Clearly, they have the talent to contend for the Cup. The coaching staff will need to push the right buttons.

You look at other franchises that have made tough decisions and have sat a proven starter, even a franchise goaltender. You can always go back to them.

You look at what Columbus has done, losing Bobrovski in free agency, replacing Korpisalo with Merzlikins and then going back to Korpisalo.

Healthy competition is a good thing. If they believe that Halak can win a playoff game, there’s nothing wrong with giving him a start, especially if it sends the message to the rest of the team that they need to up their compete level.

Other example is Lehner playing over Fleury right now...

Reactions: smithformeragent

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Bruins have dominated them IMO. Rask has not been overly sharp at all.

Hard to fault him for any of the goals yesterday, but with that being said, agreed, definitely not at the top of his game... perhaps cleaning things up in front of him will help with that. Krug was brutal last night IMO... Carlo looks like he's struggling certainly compared to where he was all year for us... Lauzy not at the same level as when the season ended... Chara can defend still and use his length, but with the puck he's scary and his foot speed/mobility looks real bad.

I think we definitely dominated game 1... last night less so, and I'm not blaming the refs, but that bogus call on Wags really turned the tide.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Tuukka is being honest. I can't fault him for that. I'm sure a lot of other players feel similarly about this weird bubble hockey situation but are not talking about it publicly.

HOWEVER, I would hope that if Tuukka feels he can't perform well in this situation he would make way for one of the other three goalies that are available to the Bruins.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'd be more worried if I thought any of the goals they've given up were due to a lack of effort on Rask's part. He certainly doesn't look locked in, but I don't know if that matters at the moment. I think they have bigger concerns.

I thought they should have started Halak last night purely out of load management concerns. They could possibly have 6 games in 9 days. That was the game to give him a break.

Reactions: JCRO

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Other example is Lehner playing over Fleury right now...
Yep, and I heard Pierre Maguire on NHL Radio talking about how Fleury didn’t hang his head about it. He’s been acting like an extra coach on the bench, relaying the information he’s seeing from his vantage point to teammates.

It’s their job to be ready. A lot of us have had to endure a lot of changes in our jobs due to this situation. In a lot of ways, it can feel unauthentic. As a teacher, there were a lot of times when remote learning didn’t feel “real”, but when you’re a professional, you say the right things and are ready to contribute even during challenging circumstances.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Hard to fault him for any of the goals yesterday, but with that being said, agreed, definitely not at the top of his game... perhaps cleaning things up in front of him will help with that. Krug was brutal last night IMO... Carlo looks like he's struggling certainly compared to where he was all year for us... Lauzy not at the same level as when the season ended... Chara can defend still and use his length, but with the puck he's scary and his foot speed/mobility looks real bad.

I think we definitely dominated game 1... last night less so, and I'm not blaming the refs, but that bogus call on Wags really turned the tide.

Rask isn't to blame on the goals themselves. The team in front of him takes blame as well.

BUT he's also playing on or below par of Reimer and Mrazek. Playoffs are when we expect him to be BETTER than them. Having an elite to make a few of those saves that rob the other team, would be welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad