Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Here's the breakdown:

Chicago series - Blackhawks outscore Bruins 17-15, including 1 CHI ENG. Series includes 3 OT games, where Bruins went 1-2. Excluding their 5 goal Game 4, the Bruins averaged 2 goals per game in the other 5 games. Bruins go 1-3 in 1-goal games. Bruins went 1-2 at Home and Away.

St. Louis series - Bruins outscore Blues 22-18, including 3 BOS ENG & 1 STL ENG. (Not so fun fact, when I checked last summer, I found only 1 other case in the last 50+ years where a team outscored their opponent in the Stanley Final and didn't win.) Series had just 1 OT game, which the Bruins lost. Bruins went 0-2 in 1-goal games. Bruins went 1-3 at Home and 2-1 Away.

I think the crushing blow in both series was their inability to win those 1-goal games. They went 1-5 between them, which includes going 1-3 in OT (2-6 if you include the two games that included ENG where it would have been a 1-goal game without them). They basically went 3-1 in games where neither team had a chance to tie at the end (i.e. down by more than 1 goal). That's why I have trouble blaming Rask because all you want from your goalie is to give you a chance to win, and he did that. I mean, in the last 4 games in both series, they scored 2 goals or fewer in 6 of the 8 games. How the hell are you supposed to win like that?

Spot on. There’s pressure and then there’s absolute clutch, do-or-die pressure that occurs only in the most pivotal moments. This Bruins group has for the most part thrived under general playoff pressure and have been a very capable postseason team. But their record in the toughest, series and Cup-defining moments has been pretty poor. G7 in 2011 and the miracle comeback against the Leafs in 2013 are obvious exceptions, but more often than not in the last decade the Bruins unfortunately let opportunities slip and couldn’t put opponents away in tight contests or crucial periods. That’s the difference between them having 1 Cup and 2 or 3, which this core has definitely been capable of.

In this regard Rask has been similar to the rest of the team. He’s an excellent playoff goalie, but his record in Game 7s and knockout games is just ok. He’s carried the team plenty of times, but he’s also had a couple of bad moments of his own, and while he bares almost no blame for this group’s shortcomings, he probably hasn’t really risen above them either - great under regular pressure, not quite so much when your back’s right to the wall and there may be no tomorrow. You can probably sum it up in the context of this era by saying that I’d want Rask as my starting goalie every day of the week through the grind of a day in, day out postseason. But if it’s a G7 or any other elimination game then you go with prime Tim Thomas all the way.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
He has everything but the wins in his favor. I think he’s been lights out, wouldn’t be surprised if Hellebucyk got it though

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Hellebuyck will definitely win but I don't see any way Rask finishes lower than 2nd.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Rask should get it, but it seems like a lot of people are talking about Helly. Should be Rask's 3rd Vezina (should have beated BOB imo back in 2012-2013).
I'm not saying there isn't an argument but everything I've seen points to Helle winning it.

Reactions: Sheppy

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Rask should get it, but it seems like a lot of people are talking about Helly. Should be Rask's 3rd Vezina (should have beated BOB imo back in 2012-2013).

I think it's a harder sell for Rask when Hellebuyck played 800 more minutes than Rask (about 36% more) and had similar stats, depite playing behind a much worse defensive team.

I'd love for Rask to win, but Hellebuyck is the favorite and probably should be.

Reactions: Sheppy and RoccoF14

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think it's a harder sell for Rask when Hellebuyck played 800 more minutes than Rask (about 36% more) and had similar stats, depite playing behind a much worse defensive team.

I'd love for Rask to win, but Hellebuyck is the favorite and probably should be.

Seems odds to penalize a goalie because he plays for a good team (didnt seem to be a problem with Vasi last year). Rask led tbe NHL in SV% and had 1 less SO compared to Helly, while playing less games.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Seems odds to penalize a goalie because he plays for a good team (didnt seem to be a problem with Vasi last year). Rask led tbe NHL in SV% and had 1 less SO compared to Helly, while playing less games.

If we're being honest, the GMs usually don't look much passed wins. This is the wins ranking for each goalie to win the Vezina the past 10 years. Finished 1st 3 times, Finished top 3 6 times, and finished top 5 8 times.

2018-19 - 1st
2017-18 - 3rd
2016-17 - 3rd
2015-16 - 1st
2014-15 - 1st
2013-14 - 5th
2012-13 - 7th
2011-12 - 3rd
2010-11 - 9th
2009-10 - 4th

Goalies usually get credit for harder workloads, and Hellebuyck's was undoubtedly harder. Rask has great stats but his SV% is less than 1% higher despite playing much fewer games/minutes. He had a SO in 12% of his starts, while Hellebuyck had one in 11%. The stats are too close to justify Rask being more deserving when he had a lighter workload. Maybe he'll get lucky and GMs will just focus on the higher SV%/GAA and say he deserves it because his team won the Presidents Trophy, but I doubt it. I'd be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see it happening. His best chance would have been if Winnipeg fell out of playoff position, but COVID ended any chance of that.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

I wish it for Rask too but let’s be honest with each other. Playing time is going to hurt Tuukka’s chances. Hellebuyck played 17 more games, 800 more minutes played and close to 800 more shots against with very close statistical numbers. The only thing you could point to and it doesn’t mean much, but Connor was yanked from 2 games.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Steal of a trade but don't forget we had TT being jettisonned by the MOC / Ftorek regime while they were putting Dafoe's successors (Grahaeme, Shields, Hackett, Potvin, Toivonen, Raycroft, and a raft of other B level tenders.).

We got super lucky that TT didn't get picked up on waivers and were able to ride him while grooming Rask.

Reactions: sooshii

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Good on Marchand and Tuuka. Porter is a POs looking for eyeballs and should get the same treatment Steve Simmonds here gets.

Reactions: chrisab123

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Good on Marchand and Tuuka. Porter is a POs looking for eyeballs and should get the same treatment Steve Simmonds here gets.

Marchard handled it perfectly. That reporter is a huge hack. If Tuuka wants to support the Boston PD then let him. Its still a free country for now at least.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Matt Porter is not a POS or a hack. He's a damn good reporter who is human and not immune to making a mistake.

Instead of tweeting what he did, he should have quietly reached out to Tuukka and the Bruins and asked him about it. Would have been a great opportunity to clear things up while also reiterating that he stands with his teammates in the fight to end racial injustice.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Marchard handled it perfectly. That reporter is a huge hack. If Tuuka wants to support the Boston PD then let him. Its still a free country for now at least.

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from responsibility. Rask can support the PD all he wants, but he's not entitled to no backlash if he chooses to do so.

mattyports

Dec 14, 2005
www.bostonglobe.com
Matt Porter is not a POS or a hack. He's a damn good reporter who is human and not immune to making a mistake.

Instead of tweeting what he did, he should have quietly reached out to Tuukka and the Bruins and asked him about it. Would have been a great opportunity to clear things up while also reiterating that he stands with his teammates in the fight to end racial injustice.

Kind of you, Ali.
In normal times, it would be second nature to pull someone aside at the rink and talk. I miss that.
I did connect with Marchand privately. We had a good chat. Plan to do the same with Rask when he's available.
I'm sorry if my tweet disappointed anyone here. If you want to discuss further, reach out.
Play on.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Kind of you, Ali.
In normal times, it would be second nature to pull someone aside at the rink and talk. I miss that.
I did connect with Marchand privately. We had a good chat. Plan to do the same with Rask when he's available.
I'm sorry if my tweet disappointed anyone here. If you want to discuss further, reach out.
Play on.

Good man Matt to reach out to Marchand and at some point Tuukka to clear the air. I’m sure Covid has made your job much tougher and much stuff can get lost in translation. Overall I think you do good work. I, and many others here I assume, appreciate you coming on and addressing it. Thank you.

Reactions: mattyports

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Kind of you, Ali.
Play on.
You're a damn good reporter and person. I'm glad you and Marchy were able to talk and I hope you and Tuukka are able to talk soon.

:)

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
So Tuukka had a cough and got quarantined for two days until he had two negative test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad