Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Yep, and I believe Bobrovsky in the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season is the only time the Vezina Trophy has been won by a goalie whose team didn't make the playoffs. If the Bruins win the Presidents' and Jennings Trophies, and Rask can keep up his current pace, then he should win.

I've seen Vasilevskiy thrown out at as the favorite (he just won the NHL.com writer poll), and while he has played 10 more games than Rask, he's got a much worse SV% and GAA.

The GMs vote for the award, and if they care about advanced stats, they'd see that Vasilevskiy has actually underperformed on his expected goals against/save percentage. I'm not going to lose my mind if Rask doesn't win it, but Vasilevskiy absolutely shouldn't.

Agreed. I think Vasilevskiy is the best goalie in the league when he's in good form - when he's on he's really on - but he struggles to sustain it and he's had a very inconsistent year. He's had a couple of runs of very poor games, and you can see that in his stats, while Rask has had the odd poor game, maybe 3 or 4 in total, but never had a bad stretch.

I find the playoffs factor interesting. There's no arguing with the past winner's list, but it doesn't seem quite fair. Imagine Rask played for the Red Wings, with the exact same performance as he's shown for the Bruins this season. Detroit's pathetic win-loss record would be better as a result, but there's no way it would propel them to a playoff spot on its own. So should Rask be discounted in this scenario simply because he plays for a bad team? It happens, and you can see why, but it's not really a fair or full assessment of everything that determines a goalie's performance.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Agreed. I think Vasilevskiy is the best goalie in the league when he's in good form - when he's on he's really on - but he struggles to sustain it and he's had a very inconsistent year. He's had a couple of runs of very poor games, and you can see that in his stats, while Rask has had the odd poor game, maybe 3 or 4 in total, but never had a bad stretch.

I find the playoffs factor interesting. There's no arguing with the past winner's list, but it doesn't seem quite fair. Imagine Rask played for the Red Wings, with the exact same performance as he's shown for the Bruins this season. Detroit's pathetic win-loss record would be better as a result, but there's no way it would propel them to a playoff spot on its own. So should Rask be discounted in this scenario simply because he plays for a bad team? It happens, and you can see why, but it's not really a fair or full assessment of everything that determines a goalie's performance.

Playoff factor and wins make sense when you realize it's the GMs voting for the award. The underlying stats don't matter to them if their team isn't winning.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Playoff factor and wins make sense when you realize it's the GMs voting for the award. The underlying stats don't matter to them if their team isn't winning.

But surely the GMs can't vote for their own players? So why should it matter how their team is performing?

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Rask has been outstanding this year for us.
He should be in the running for some MVP votes along with Pasty.
His save pct, GAA is in the top of all goalies this year.
His won loss is 24 and 7 that is remarkable and he has 4 shutouts.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
But surely the GMs can't vote for their own players? So why should it matter how their team is performing?

Perhaps I should have used a different word than "their". I wasn't talking about GMs voting for their own players. The point was that if a team's not winning, then a GM won't really care how well the goalie is playing. For GMs, a good performance only matters if it leads to wins.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Perhaps I should have used a different word than "their". I wasn't talking about GMs voting for their own players. The point was that if a team's not winning, then a GM won't really care how well the goalie is playing. For GMs, a good performance only matters if it leads to wins.

Ah, got you. For sure hockey is a results business. It's also rare for a top quality goalie to get stuck for too long on a poor team, although Carey Price might like to argue that one...

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
When his positioning is on he makes saves look effortless. Can he win the Vezina with less than 35 wins? They haven't awarded the trophy to a goalie with less than 35 in like 20 years.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
When his positioning is on he makes saves look effortless. Can he win the Vezina with less than 35 wins? They haven't awarded the trophy to a goalie with less than 35 in like 20 years.

Was listening to some goalie expert on Sirius NHL Network earlier today, who said he's his #2 behind Hellbuyck, but that his numbers and advanced numbers are all top 3 basically. I'm assuming his games played/wins number will hurt his chances, but make no bones about it, he's been the best goalie in the NHL this year when in net.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If he hits 50 games played there should be no issues

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I think if he wins the cup over the next 2 seasons he calls it. Maybe he tries one more year afterwards if they don't but him coming out and saying family over hockey says a lot about where he wants to be. Love the guy and have to respect his decision, he's given them so many chances and just came up short.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Jeez, I really hope he reconsiders; but that is me being selfish.

Bruins would have to consider shelling out for a free agent NHL starter then, wouldn't they? I doubt any of the AHL kids are ready to roll in a year or two. Swayman JUST got signed, so he needs time in the pro league below.

Either way if he made the choice to retire I'd respect it. Would just be concerning; Boston's strength is in their net and in their defense.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's had a few concussions of late... it wouldn't be good for the Bruins but that might be what he needs to do for him and his family.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I doubt he retires. It was a casual conversation. I wouldn’t look into it too much as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino