Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This thread has gone pretty quiet- where are all the haters? I miss hearing about how we should have kept Jones, or traded Rask to go with Halak, or how Tuukka is not mentally strong and is a choker. Where have all the good times gone?

Reactions: jaeger

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This thread has gone pretty quiet- where are all the haters? I miss hearing about how we should have kept Jones, or traded Rask to go with Halak, or how Tuukka is not mentally strong and is a choker. Where have all the good times gone?
I still hold the same belief on him that he doesn't have it in him when it really matters, but he's having a fantastic season. What is there to even talk about on that front until the playoffs?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I still hold the same belief on him that he doesn't have it in him when it really matters, but he's having a fantastic season. What is there to even talk about on that front until the playoffs?

Would you still rather have Frederik Andersen?

Edit: You weren't the only person saying freddie was better than Tuukka at the beginning of the season though

Tuukka Rask sets all-time record for most wins by Leafs draft pick

I'd be lying if i said to you i didn't just go through that thread and like every post trying to tell me that Andersen was a better goalie than Rask

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Lets be fair about the Jones thing.

For over 3 full seasons, including playoffs, Rask and Jones had remarkably similar numbers.

Even last season, when Jones completely fell apart, Rask's regular season numbers were not even as good as his own backups. Middle of the pack.

Since the playoffs last season, Rask has been the best goalie in the league, hands down. No need for discussion.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Lets be fair about the Jones thing.

For over 3 full seasons, including playoffs, Rask and Jones had remarkably similar numbers.

Even last season, when Jones completely fell apart, Rask's regular season numbers were not even as good as his own backups. Middle of the pack.

Since the playoffs last season, Rask has been the best goalie in the league, hands down. No need for discussion.

Jones was (and maybe still is) a good goalie, but I watched enough of him to know he was never as good as Tuukka, numbers aside. I don't think I am being unfair in bringing up the fact that there were people continually saying we should have done the deal and kept Jones because he was better. He isn't and never was, and I am not trashing Jones in saying that.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Jones was (and maybe still is) a good goalie, but I watched enough of him to know he was never as good as Tuukka, numbers aside. I don't think I am being unfair in bringing up the fact that there were people continually saying we should have done the deal and kept Jones because he was better. He isn't and never was, and I am not trashing Jones in saying that.

Agreed.

Yes, there were posters who took the numbers and ran with the idea that Jones was as good as Rask for half the price. Still, at the time Tuukka was not playing well. Not close to the level he is currently playing at. Which is the best in the game. While Jones is trying to play his way out of an NHL job.

Goalies, so many head cases. Hard to figure them out.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Was just thinking this the other day after Schneider got recalled in NJ.

How many "clear upgrades" to Tuukka Rask have come and gone, while Rask has been more-or-less consistent?

Cam Ward
Martin Jones
Holtby
Henrik
Schneider
Price
Bobrovsky
Quick
Rinne

Rask has been in this conversation the entire time and he continues to one of the best in the league. We are incredibly fortunate.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You guys think your boy will hit 30 wins this year?

He was on a 5-year run until last year (27 wins) and injuries might cost him that feat once again.

Doubtful he needs 6 wins and will only get 8 more starts with the next 2 against Tampa. Shame it might cost him the Vezina as he'd win it in a landslide if he had a few more starts/wins.

Anyone else think he should be priority #1 on July 1st if he doesn't expect a huge raise and Carey Price money? Does he take 5 years 40-45 mil or push for 10 AAV or an 8 year deal?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Doubtful he needs 6 wins and will only get 8 more starts with the next 2 against Tampa. Shame it might cost him the Vezina as he'd win it in a landslide if he had a few more starts/wins.

Anyone else think he should be priority #1 on July 1st if he doesn't expect a huge raise and Carey Price money? Does he take 5 years 40-45 mil or push for 10 AAV or an 8 year deal?

Don’t see another Vezina option at the moment. Anyone close to him is a backup or missed more games to injury. Vasi absolutely cratered.

No goalie with more wins than him is above .920 and a goalie hasn’t won it since 03-04 with a save percentage below that.

if he keeps up his pace Rask should be the heavy favorite and winner

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was just thinking this the other day after Schneider got recalled in NJ.

How many "clear upgrades" to Tuukka Rask have come and gone, while Rask has been more-or-less consistent?

Cam Ward
Martin Jones
Holtby
Henrik
Schneider
Price
Bobrovsky
Quick
Rinne

Rask has been in this conversation the entire time and he continues to one of the best in the league. We are incredibly fortunate.

said something similar on the last page, he’s survived waves of elite netminders and has been among those elite since he took over full time. He’s now in the discussion with guys like Hellebuyck and Vasilevsky, before he was there with guys like bishop and price, before that he was there with lundqvist and Crawford and quick

god bless you Andrew Raycroft

Reactions: Alicat

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

He'll be 34 when his current contract is up, so he's lucky that he won't be affected by the 35+ contract rules, which would hurt his market. I'm guessing that he's looking at a 3 year deal. Considering his age, I'm hoping that he won't be looking for the Price, Bobrovsky, and Vasilevskiy-level cap hit, but it's likely to be a raise over what he's currently making. The one thing is that he's got more leverage than anyone else on the team. They don't have any young goalies who are ready to step up yet, and it's difficult to find one in free agency.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He'll be 34 when his current contract is up, so he's lucky that he won't be affected by the 35+ contract rules, which would hurt his market. I'm guessing that he's looking at a 3 year deal. Considering his age, I'm hoping that he won't be looking for the Price, Bobrovsky, and Vasilevskiy-level cap hit, but it's likely to be a raise over what he's currently making. The one thing is that he's got more leverage than anyone else on the team. They don't have any young goalies who are ready to step up yet, and it's difficult to find one in free agency.

Yeah.

I don't think whatever he asks for is going to be an enormous raise over his current cap hit if its 8 or 9. And I don't think that an extra year should make or break us doing the deal 38 vs 39 same thing.

Only issue really is that hes in a position to ask for what they get being the best goalie in the NHL. If we win it all you absolutely have to get something done this summer.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You know, I have been all over the place with Tuukka. I have praised him when he's been great and I have been hard on him when he's been not so great but as MMB pointed out so many great ones have come and gone yet Tuukka still remains. I have posted , in the past, that I didn't think Tuukka had it to go all the way. After last years PO's where Tuukka was nothing short of spectacular only to come up a little short in game 7, I found it hard to put it on him and found it sad that a narrative that I myself had pushed more than once would still remain, Tuukka can't win when it matters most . He may or may not ever bring the Bruins the Cup but at this point he has earned my (and hopefully many others respect) either way. He is aging like a fine wine , getting better every season regardless of what the stats say. I can't think of a more consistent goal tender over the last 10 years than Tuukka. I think Tuukka still has several years of top end goal tending in reserve and we Bruins fans should be grateful for services rendered both past and future.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Don’t see another Vezina option at the moment. Anyone close to him is a backup or missed more games to injury. Vasi absolutely cratered.

No goalie with more wins than him is above .920 and a goalie hasn’t won it since 03-04 with a save percentage below that.

if he keeps up his pace Rask should be the heavy favorite and winner

I think Connor Hellebuyck is a contender. Been an absolute workhorse playing 54 games already, 52 as starter. Sitting on a .919 SV%, so not too far off Rask despite playing quite a few more games and standing behind a far inferior defense. His win/loss record isn't great but that merely reflects the kind of year the Jets as a whole have had, and they win more games when he's in net than when he isn't.

I feel Rask has been better, indeed outstanding, and definitely has the edge on anyone else who's currently at around the 40-game mark. The question will be whether the adjudicators feel the Vezina should go to someone who's played more often, and if that's the case then on his performance to date I think Hellebuyck would be at least worthy of being in the top 3.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think Connor Hellebuyck is a contender. Been an absolute workhorse playing 54 games already, 52 as starter. Sitting on a .919 SV%, so not too far off Rask despite playing quite a few more games and standing behind a far inferior defense. His win/loss record isn't great but that merely reflects the kind of year the Jets as a whole have had, and they win more games when he's in net than when he isn't.

I feel Rask has been better, indeed outstanding, and definitely has the edge on anyone else who's currently at around the 40-game mark. The question will be whether the adjudicators feel the Vezina should go to someone who's played more often, and if that's the case then on his performance to date I think Hellebuyck would be at least worthy of being in the top 3.

I agree he is the other option, but the Jets have to make the playoffs and they’re currently out.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
said something similar on the last page, he’s survived waves of elite netminders and has been among those elite since he took over full time. He’s now in the discussion with guys like Hellebuyck and Vasilevsky, before he was there with guys like bishop and price, before that he was there with lundqvist and Crawford and quick

god bless you Andrew Raycroft
Such a shrewd trade.

I love that Razor is back with the Bruins. Comes full circle.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I agree he is the other option, but the Jets have to make the playoffs and they’re currently out.

Yep, and I believe Bobrovsky in the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season is the only time the Vezina Trophy has been won by a goalie whose team didn't make the playoffs. If the Bruins win the Presidents' and Jennings Trophies, and Rask can keep up his current pace, then he should win.

I've seen Vasilevskiy thrown out at as the favorite (he just won the NHL.com writer poll), and while he has played 10 more games than Rask, he's got a much worse SV% and GAA.

The GMs vote for the award, and if they care about advanced stats, they'd see that Vasilevskiy has actually underperformed on his expected goals against/save percentage. I'm not going to lose my mind if Rask doesn't win it, but Vasilevskiy absolutely shouldn't.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad