Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
think fans will appreciate rask if he retires after next season?

Highly unlikely. Some of the best number all-time and holds numerous Bruins records, but pink hats...I mean many will say:

BuT hE HaSnT wOn A cUp As A sTaRtEr

Imo Rask is the greatest Bruins goalie of all time. Don't care if anyone disagrees and it's not even debatable for me.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Highly unlikely. Some of the best number all-time and holds numerous Bruins records, but pink hats...I mean many will say:

BuT hE HaSnT wOn A cUp As A sTaRtEr

Imo Rask is the greatest Bruins goalie of all time. Don't care if anyone disagrees and it's not even debatable for me.
Rask is the GOAT Bruins goalie, sad the amount of shit he gets during his career and really I'd retire early too if I were him reading what some fans think about him during his career here.

He'll get recognition from the vocal crowd of detractors if our next starting goalie isn't good - grass is always greener, like when people thought we had a better chance with Martin Jones or that Halak should be our starter - yet here we are in a familiar spot, another season where Rask is one of the best in the league and another season where Jones is barely a starter and Halak can't stay consistent.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You really don't think Bruins fans will appreciate Rask?

Question is, who do you consider fans? And what is meant by appreciate?

There is a subset of the fan base who don't like him. Heck we got a cheap shot directed at him, the post after someone posted an article suggesting he might retie

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I would really hate for Tuukka to retire without a Cup as starting goalie just as much as I would hate for the current core of skaters to not get another Cup. His stats speak for themselves, but beyond that he has put the Bs in the position to be successful multiple times, only to be let down, most notably last season's SCF. If only he could score goals.

Goalies are a different breed. So are Finns. I can totally see him calling it quits after his contract runs out, and never look back. These guys make enough money that, if they manage it well, they can be set to live comfortably even if they retire early and delve into making side money from other sources. As a fan I want him to keep playing, but I think it's great that he's in a position financially to retire and focus more on his family. Who knows, maybe if he doesn't win a Cup before his contract runs out he will come back for a year or two to give the core a chance or two more at a Cup, then retire.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
It's interesting to think about - i'm sure he wants to win a cup with what time is left on his contract - but he may not actually CARE about HAVING a cup on his resume in the way that so many other NHL players DO care. Maybe i'm wrong about that. But it's interesting.

Just hope that Boston can navigate this problem in a year or so, or one of the younger kids are ready to go. Then again we've been hoping for that with regards to the forwards pipeline too, haven't we, and so far the results have been mixed.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
There is a subset of the fan base who don't like him. Heck we got a cheap shot directed at him, the post after someone posted an article suggesting he might retie

Personally, I wouldn't even call them a subset. Maybe fringe or something. It's the people taking cues from one of the talking points of local radio.

Any of my friends or coworkers who played the game or have been the type of fan to watch at least half the games every year appreciate him.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
TSN loving this
upload_2020-3-24_12-37-24.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
At the very least Rask will see out his current contract, and realistically that's almost certainly all the window this Bruins group has left to win another Cup. So either he helps the Bs to raise Stanley again by summer '21 and everyone gets what they want, after which it's immaterial what he does, or they still come up short and in that case then if he re-signs that's great, but if not then it won't be the worst time to move on to the next goaltending chapter of the team just as they'll have to in a number of other areas.

So while it'll definitely be a sad day when Rask does hang up the skates - he's had a phenomenal run so far - I don't think it'll make much difference to the team's fortunes and prospects as to when exactly he chooses to do so.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
It's funny, but i'm a newer fan so Rask is the only goalie i've known outside of Thomas. Thomas's run in 2011 was legendary, but Tukka has been consistently reliable every year - with some bad games here and there of course (but what goalie doesn't have those?)

Much as I loved watching Thomas play, Rask has grown on me these past several years. I like the guy and I always will. I can only hope his successor is every bit as reliable as Tukka has been for all of this time; there are teams in this league who still struggle to get good goaltending on the regular, and it can set a team back, big time - at least, that's my opinion anyway

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I don't think he retires.
Right now, he is stuck in his house with all his kids.
He is going bat shit crazy, and he'll reconsider playing for many more years. ;)

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It's funny, but i'm a newer fan so Rask is the only goalie i've known outside of Thomas. Thomas's run in 2011 was legendary, but Tukka has been consistently reliable every year - with some bad games here and there of course (but what goalie doesn't have those?)

Much as I loved watching Thomas play, Rask has grown on me these past several years. I like the guy and I always will. I can only hope his successor is every bit as reliable as Tukka has been for all of this time; there are teams in this league who still struggle to get good goaltending on the regular, and it can set a team back, big time - at least, that's my opinion anyway

Interestingly enough, Rask run in 2013 was equally as legendary but all his detractors want to focus on are two goals that he was left out to dry on.

Thomas 2011 - 1.98 GAA / .940 SV% / 4 SO
Rask 2013 - 1.88 GAA / .940 SV% / 3 SO

We've been lucky to have some great goaltending for 15 years and I hopeful Swayman/Keyser/Vladar and keep it going.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Interestingly enough, Rask run in 2013 was equally as legendary but all his detractors want to focus on are two goals that he was left out to dry on.

We've been lucky to have some great goaltending for 15 years and I hopeful Swayman/Keyser/Vladar and keep it going.
Well, the bruins won the Stanley cup in 2011 so that is why it is remembered as legendary. Rask is 0-2 in the cup finals, and while he was equal to Thomas for the most part both times, he didn’t win. People won’t remember either run as legendary because the bruins lost both times. Unfair, but besides the old Red Sox fans waxing poetic about 1967, not a lot of fondness for teams that didn’t win.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

It's my belief that the greatest playoff series by a goalie, at least that I've seen, is Rask against PIT in 2013. 4 GP, 4 W, 2 SO, .985 SV%, and 0.436 GAA. He basically won that series on his own.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well, the bruins won the Stanley cup in 2011 so that is why it is remembered as legendary. Rask is 0-2 in the cup finals, and while he was equal to Thomas for the most part both times, he didn’t win. People won’t remember either run as legendary because the bruins lost both times. Unfair, but besides the old Red Sox fans waxing poetic about 1967, not a lot of fondness for teams that didn’t win.

Which is sad to be honest.

Also the Bruins are 0-2 in the last two SCF and they didn't win. Oddly enough the only person that gets flak for it is Rask...

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

100% agree with you.
He was the main reason why we made it to the Cup finals for those 2 years.
Its like having a pitcher lose a game 7 due to fielding errors.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Meant to respond but the joint here was shut down...

But yeah, Rask has been phenomenal as well, I never meant to imply otherwise really. But I think it goes beyond just Rask NOT winning a cup in two tries; obviously he wasn't to blame for what happened in game 7 even this past season (it started with Marchand's laziness in the first period). But when I think of Thomas, I think of that Philly series, where in one game, I forget which one, he faced what, 54 SHOTS ON HIM and managed to turn back how many? I'm not saying Tukka couldn't do that, but.....he just hasn't yet. Nor can I forget the absurd, phenomenal game 7 against Tampa that year, a game so defensive that it had to go to overtime to get a winner. Those were just incredible moments. "SAVE BY THOMAS!" Still rings out in my ears whenever I think of 2011. And it helped Thomas that he had teammates who were able to put the puck on the net, and IN the net.

In 2013, Rask had to rely on the likes of Daugavins missing f***ing opening nets in the Finals, for example. Rask has been great. It sucks he hasn't gotten to raise the cup, but life ain't fair, eh? Even Iginla, great as he was, didn't get to hoist up the cup in his career.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Meant to respond but the joint here was shut down...

But yeah, Rask has been phenomenal as well, I never meant to imply otherwise really. But I think it goes beyond just Rask NOT winning a cup in two tries; obviously he wasn't to blame for what happened in game 7 even this past season (it started with Marchand's laziness in the first period). But when I think of Thomas, I think of that Philly series, where in one game, I forget which one, he faced what, 54 SHOTS ON HIM and managed to turn back how many? I'm not saying Tukka couldn't do that, but.....he just hasn't yet. Nor can I forget the absurd, phenomenal game 7 against Tampa that year, a game so defensive that it had to go to overtime to get a winner. Those were just incredible moments. "SAVE BY THOMAS!" Still rings out in my ears whenever I think of 2011. And it helped Thomas that he had teammates who were able to put the puck on the net, and IN the net.

In 2013, Rask had to rely on the likes of Daugavins missing f***ing opening nets in the Finals, for example. Rask has been great. It sucks he hasn't gotten to raise the cup, but life ain't fair, eh? Even Iginla, great as he was, didn't get to hoist up the cup in his career.

All during the 2013 Run
63 SOG vs CHI / 59 Saves
54 SOG vs PIT / 53 Saves
48 SOG vs TOR / 45 Saves
47 SOG vs TOR / 45 Saves

Reactions: Krupp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad