Boston Globe Tuukka Rask’s status unclear after goalie fails to respond to treatment for upper-body injury

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Wow that’s awesome news compared to the original unknown timeline!

Reactions: Dr Hook

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Not to be Debbie Downer or anything, but Miller traveled with the team not so long ago and we still haven't seen him back on the ice . . .
No you’re not wrong. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself. Couldn’t help but see it as good news since we literally haven’t heard anything. But you made a good point

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No you’re not wrong. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself. Couldn’t help but see it as good news since we literally haven’t heard anything. But you made a good point

No, no, I am sorry, it is good news compared the "who knows" so it does mean barring any setbacks he is close. I try really hard not to succumb to the pessimism :laugh:

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
What will Donny do with Rask next year? My guess is a 1 year offer with Vladdy as backup and Swayman getting a full season in Providence (waiver exempt) with the aim to roll with the kid tandem in 2022-2023. If Rask wants more term, my guess is Don will let him walk & sign a vet to a 1 year deal. The ability to have a cheaper goalie tandem will be big in trying to land a new #1C, Eichel or Barkov.

Reactions: bbfan419

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Yep, no Tuuka = early playoff exit for sure.
Did you ever hear of Craig Binninghton or however you spell it...Untill 2018 ?...Before 2018?. I never did, fact is the Stanley cup playoffs are riddled with surprise goalie performances....So far Rask has won nothing. I think we need him. But i am not crying when he leaves the best goalie ever to not win a cup.....And he had the chances. I want him back and hope he has it in him because the talent is there.....But is the head and the heart ?.........Not sure.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Rask better not be in that net till they are positive he is good to go.

That's the thing with back injuries. You can be pain free and seem to have full range of motion and then POW! it kicks you in the ass again. I'd hate to see him go down again because he came back too soon, that could end his season. Better to go with the kids for now.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
So far Rask has won nothing. I think we need him. But i am not crying when he leaves the best goalie ever to not win a cup.....And he had the chances. I want him back and hope he has it in him because the talent is there.....But is the head and the heart ?.........Not sure.

Posts like this are beyond moronic. So far he's "won nothing"? Please. You can say he hasn't won a cup as a starter, but that's it.

Regular season wins still count.
Playoff wins still count.

You can't get to two cup finals while "winning nothing".

Vezina winner and finalist.

You question his head and heart?

How were his head and heart both times he led the Bs to the cup, while putting up the following numbers in the conf finals:

8-0
7 TOTAL goals given up
3 shutouts

Please explain how someone who has "won nothing" does that.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Posts like this are beyond moronic. So far he's "won nothing"? Please. You can say he hasn't won a cup as a starter, but that's it.

Regular season wins still count.
Playoff wins still count.

You can't get to two cup finals while "winning nothing".

Vezina winner and finalist.

You question his head and heart?

How were his head and heart both times he led the Bs to the cup, while putting up the following numbers in the conf finals:

8-0
7 TOTAL goals given up
3 shutouts

Please explain how someone who has "won nothing" does that.
Not a Fanboy here like you i guess. Thats right, He has won zilch....Nadda....he choked in 2013 in gaqme 6 and he did not exactly come up big vs St. Louis.....

Care less about a vezina and even less about a finalist...LOL....Oh my you are a fanboy.....

The only thing that counts is that he will go down as the best goalie ever to not win Stanley...and that my fanboy.,....Will be his legacy. No matter how many jerseys you buy.

Only about 28 goalies have won like the last 50 Stanley cups....Not exact but around that number......And Rask is not one of them. Sports is mental as well as physical and it takes both to be great. Rask has won nothing.....tick tock goes his clock....

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Most unreliable player in Bruins history. Thank god it looks like this is his last season with the Bruins

Reactions: Midship

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
What will Donny do with Rask next year? My guess is a 1 year offer with Vladdy as backup and Swayman getting a full season in Providence (waiver exempt) with the aim to roll with the kid tandem in 2022-2023. If Rask wants more term, my guess is Don will let him walk & sign a vet to a 1 year deal. The ability to have a cheaper goalie tandem will be big in trying to land a new #1C, Eichel or Barkov.

It would have to be an absurdly cheap deal, like under $3 million. We need a cost effective veteran and a kid, maybe two.

Also, Vladar is not waivers exempt next year, so if Swayman grabs the starters job, then DV needs to be backup otherwise we lose him. So whoever the vet is has to be expendable.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Most unreliable player in Bruins history. Thank god it looks like this is his last season with the Bruins

His legacy is going to be debated for decades.

Tuukka is one of the two best goalies in franchise history. He has the most games played, most wins, most playoff wins. Only Tiny Thompson has a better GAA and more shutouts (and he played in a much different era).

Objectively, he's one of the greatest Bruins of all time. Yet he's also considered unreliable and unable to win the big one. Are people going to look back and remember the guy who was a Vezina quality keeper for like 8 or 9 regular seasons, or the guy who blew a 3-0 lead against the Flyers, who let in two goals in 18 seconds against the Blackhawks, who missed game 82 with the playoffs on the line after getting the buffalo wing shits, who left the bubble in the playoffs? Hockey historians are going to debate that for ages.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Not a Fanboy here like you i guess. Thats right, He has won zilch....Nadda....he choked in 2013 in gaqme 6 and he did not exactly come up big vs St. Louis.....

Care less about a vezina and even less about a finalist...LOL....Oh my you are a fanboy.....

The only thing that counts is that he will go down as the best goalie ever to not win Stanley...and that my fanboy.,....Will be his legacy. No matter how many jerseys you buy.

Only about 28 goalies have won like the last 50 Stanley cups....Not exact but around that number......And Rask is not one of them. Sports is mental as well as physical and it takes both to be great. Rask has won nothing.....tick tock goes his clock....
Brutal.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

453199d90efa0faff6d913502904db0f.gif

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Tuukka is one of the two best goalies in franchise history. He has the most games played, most wins, most playoff wins. Only Tiny Thompson has a better GAA and more shutouts (and he played in a much different era).

Objectively, he's one of the greatest Bruins of all time. Yet he's also considered unreliable and unable to win the big one. Are people going to look back and remember the guy who was a Vezina quality keeper for like 8 or 9 regular seasons, or the guy who blew a 3-0 lead against the Flyers, who let in two goals in 18 seconds against the Blackhawks, who missed game 82 with the playoffs on the line after getting the buffalo wing shits, who left the bubble in the playoffs? Hockey historians are going to debate that for ages.
I'd argue that Rask is in the fight for 3rd best Bruins goalie with Thomas. I had Thomas ahead of Rask, but I think after last season they are a coin flip. It's easy to take Rask on longevity. Brimsek and Thompson are ahead of Rask.

Rask is also one of the best goalies of this generation, but I'd argue it was a rather weak goalie generation. He will get zero hall of fame consideration, but I am not sure there were many or any better in the NHL during his time in Boston.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Marchand Bergeron and Pasta had 1 even strength goal in 7 games against the Blues and where a combined something close to -20

and because of there failure in the cup finals

tuukka who had one of the best postseasons in nhl history is considered a epic choker and a bum

when In reality losing to the blues was almost all on the failure of the perfection line

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'd argue that Rask is in the fight for 3rd best Bruins goalie with Thomas. I had Thomas ahead of Rask, but I think after last season they are a coin flip. It's easy to take Rask on longevity. Brimsek and Thompson are ahead of Rask.

Rask is also one of the best goalies of this generation, but I'd argue it was a rather weak goalie generation. He will get zero hall of fame consideration, but I am not sure there were many or any better in the NHL during his time in Boston.

Rask has played almost 200 games more than Thomas and has a hundred more wins. GAA and sv% are actually quite similar with the two. Only difference really is that Thomas has the cup run. But if the refs call the slewfoot on Acciari and we finish off the Blues in 6 like we should've, Tuukka wins that Conn Smythe unanimously and history is completely different. And if Gionta lifts the puck in OT of game 5 in 2011 and the Habs finish us off in 6, Thomas would be remembered as the guy who lost two game 7s at home in OT. Hockey can be an unfair game sometimes.

Reactions: 13Hockey

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Rask has played almost 200 games more than Thomas and has a hundred more wins. GAA and sv% are actually quite similar with the two. Only difference really is that Thomas has the cup run. But if the refs call the slewfoot on Acciari and we finish off the Blues in 6 like we should've, Tuukka wins that Conn Smythe unanimously and history is completely different. And if Gionta lifts the puck in OT of game 5 in 2011 and the Habs finish us off in 6, Thomas would be remembered as the guy who lost two game 7s at home in OT. Hockey can be an unfair game sometimes.
I am not convinced Thomas had a better overall run than Rask, but Thomas in the finals has some ridiculous stats, 0.967 or something stupid. It was one of the best performances of a goalie in the finals ever.

Team sports are unfair to the individual sometimes, but 7 games can make or break a career.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

In my opinion, he's going to look a lot like Lundquist. Great goalie of the generation, easily top 5 during his peak. Most likely having not lead to the team to a championship victory.

While that's not to blame him, on paper, people are gonna look at the winner of the final and most likely let the memory of the attempt pass by.

That's not to underappreciate his career. He just didn't win. Would it have been nice to have made a couple more saves in 2013 or 2019? Yea, that would change everything. But water under the bridge at this point.

I don't dislike Rask, more like a proud with a hidden sense of disappointment of circumstance. Maybe something miraculous will happen, but expectations are pretty tempered at this point.

As for Rask as a person, I'm glad he's been here, he shops at the same Whole Foods that I do. And probably the Bruin with the best musical taste bar none.

Last edited:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I am not convinced Thomas had a better overall run than Rask, but Thomas in the finals has some ridiculous stats, 0.967 or something stupid. It was one of the best performances of a goalie in the finals ever.

Team sports are unfair to the individual sometimes, but 7 games can make or break a career.
Well I don’t think it’s that unfair, if we can applaud a player for their great individual performances shouldn’t we also be able to critique them for their poor ones?

Rask has had a better ride as fair as longevity and regular season success but if it was to end today I think it’s sort of kind of fair to remember him as a choker or at least unreliable in the post season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad