Boston Globe Tuukka Rask’s status unclear after goalie fails to respond to treatment for upper-body injury

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From personal experience backs are tricky and never know when it will act up.

When I saw him not be able to put his right leg down flat and the grimace on his face I thought sciatic spasms.

No Im not a doctor but boy I’ve lived that.
Sometimes it has literally dropped me to my knees.

Then its just time and stretches to get it to subside.
Until the next time. Could be years. But for me so far there’s always been a next time.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
upload_2021-4-3_10-7-56.jpeg

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This one of the reasons for some of the recent loses. It’s not to say the backups aren’t playing good, it’s that Rask IMO gives them some confidence.

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
RASK has been a great Bruin but you could sense it last year that he was about to fall off the rails both in terms of his health and his desire to compete. SWEENEY has to face the reality that the window is closed and stop wasting opportunities to parlee some of the aging/pending UFA players into futute assets. He missed a great chance to add at least a second rounder, maybe even a first or a decent prospect by not dealing KRUG even though it appeared they had no intent to re-sign him. With RASK on the shelf and no signs of improving health, i'm betting he retires or signs a UFA deal elsewhere and again we have nothing to show for it. No team is going to risk futures for what may be permently damaged goods. I'm predicting he'll be on IR past the DL and it'll be too late to try and trade him to a contender for futures and we'll lose him via UFAgency after that and get nothing in return. KREJCI is still decent but again we have to consider that he may move on after this season. His trade value is probably higher now then after the DL. I think we're in great shape for the D future, good in goal and decent for wingers but we desperately need a blue chip/projected #1 centre propect in the organization. I know some like STUDNICKA and so do I but he's not that guy. SELL Donny SELL! The writings on the wall, time to rebuild.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This one of the reasons for some of the recent loses. It’s not to say the backups aren’t playing good, it’s that Rask IMO gives them some confidence.
For sure, it’s no surprise the record dipped when he went out. He bails them out a lot more than the backups can. I’m sure confidence is a factor too.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's why they signed Booth, he'll be exposed not Vladar or Swayman
uh, name the last season, prior to this one, that required 3 Goaltenders on the roster at all times, Eric, not just a rule about Taxi Squads, which is a requisite in this era....

if this were a traditional season would there be a need to have a Taxi Squad in season, not just the "Black Ace" terminology you'd be typically seeing in a traditional March/April....

wouldn't Providence's season typically end within the next 7-10 days, if it wasn't a 25-40 game season in roughly 3+ months

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If I were in Don's position then unless Rask is in a better state that he appears to be from the comments to the media, I'd be seriously thinking now about shutting up shop for the season or even beginning to consider what I can sell. Feels like it's coming ever closer to the point where it just has to be accepted that it's not going to happen for the Bs this year.
Well I agree I would be thinking the same, but I don’t see that happening. I think it would take a lot for him to sell pieces off at the deadline. His version of selling off is to do nothing, and that’s probably what he’ll do.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
The playoffs are not a guarantee at all this year. The Flyers and Rags are not that far off and the 4th spot is as high as they can hope for. The prize will be getting a ramped up Caps team. The next 9 days are the season. Without the #1 guy this may be doomed. Unless Swayman or Vlad goes on a run.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
RASK has been a great Bruin but you could sense it last year that he was about to fall off the rails both in terms of his health and his desire to compete. SWEENEY has to face the reality that the window is closed and stop wasting opportunities to parlee some of the aging/pending UFA players into futute assets. He missed a great chance to add at least a second rounder, maybe even a first or a decent prospect by not dealing KRUG even though it appeared they had no intent to re-sign him. With RASK on the shelf and no signs of improving health, i'm betting he retires or signs a UFA deal elsewhere and again we have nothing to show for it. No team is going to risk futures for what may be permently damaged goods. I'm predicting he'll be on IR past the DL and it'll be too late to try and trade him to a contender for futures and we'll lose him via UFAgency after that and get nothing in return. KREJCI is still decent but again we have to consider that he may move on after this season. His trade value is probably higher now then after the DL. I think we're in great shape for the D future, good in goal and decent for wingers but we desperately need a blue chip/projected #1 centre propect in the organization. I know some like STUDNICKA and so do I but he's not that guy. SELL Donny SELL! The writings on the wall, time to rebuild.

I don't even know where to start with this post.... you think the team that was in 1st place in the entire league last year should have traded Krug at the deadline????

This place....

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well the Bruins are not in first place this year and they are dealing with some major issues. Their Number 1 goalie looks to have some serious back issues and is a UFA. Your core players are 33 to 35 years of age and their age is starting to show. You only have two other star players under 30 years of age in Pasta and McAvoy. You have Carlo suffering from a concussion and now week to week with another injury. DeBrusk and Kuraly coming off Covid and both seriously struggling. You have a team that lacks offensive talent. A very condensed schedule that will make it difficult for this team to earn the final playoff spot which rewards them with playing Washington or the New York Islanders. This isn't 2011 and the door closed in 2019. There are some up and coming players that looks positive, but the Bruins really need to seriously look at a refresh of some sort. Sell off your UFA's, extra players, gain some assets and do a reset.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vladar and Swayman are as good a pair as you will find in an organization looking at their next generation in goal

Honestly, I call up Swayman now and let him pair with Vladar the rest of the year. I just don't think there is any chance Halak is a viable postseason goalie. And there us off course a history of young goalies stepping up in postseason

Reactions: Gordoff

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Honestly, I call up Swayman now and let him pair with Vladar the rest of the year. I just don't think there is any chance Halak is a viable postseason goalie. And there us off course a history of young goalies stepping up in postseason
I don't start Swayman now... Swayman isn't Binnington...

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
I don't even know where to start with this post.... you think the team that was in 1st place in the entire league last year should have traded Krug at the deadline????

This place....

My bad if it wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting a DL trade regarding KRUG last year, I just think they could have dealt his rights after they were eliminated by Tampa or at least as they approached the 1 July so they could get something for him.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't start Swayman now... Swayman isn't Binnington...

Are you arguing Binnington is better? Admittedly he was more experienced.

But you also have guys like Roy, Dreyden, Niemi, Murphy (twice), who all won the cup finals as rookies. Brodeur, Potvin, Hextall all had dominant Finals runs as rookies. Probably many other rookies who played well in posteasons.

Is the concern ruining Swayman by giving him too much too soon? With Rask out, I believe he is the best goalie in the org, and I want to see him get a chance to prove it

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Are you arguing Binnington is better? Admittedly he was more experienced.

But you also have guys like Roy, Dreyden, Niemi, Murphy (twice), who all won the cup finals as rookies. Brodeur, Potvin, Hextall all had dominant Finals runs as rookies. Probably many other rookies who played well in posteasons.

Is the concern ruining Swayman by giving him too much too soon? With Rask out, I believe he is the best goalie in the org, and I want to see him get a chance to prove it
way too soon.... are u ready for a full dose of Keyser as well....

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Gee, hates Tuukka, wanted Krug traded, and randomly capitalizes names? Welcome back, old buddy!

Reactions: TD Charlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad