Boston Globe Tuukka Rask’s status unclear after goalie fails to respond to treatment for upper-body injury

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Give him all the time he needs - I sensed they rushed him coming back and....................

Tuukka Rask’s status unclear after goalie fails to respond to treatment for upper-body injury - The Boston Globe

The health and availability of Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask remain a lingering issue that Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy can’t quite pin down.

Rask has missed the past four games with an upper-body injury. The 34-year-old missed five games previously in March after leaving in the third period of the Bruins’ 1-0 loss on March 7 to the New Jersey Devils with an apparent back issue. He returned on March 25, but only managed to stay on the ice for 20 minutes before reaggravating the injury.

Rask has been with the team and receiving treatment, but it’s unclear when he’ll be able to return to the ice.
“We always ask,” Cassidy said. “He’s here getting some treatments, just hasn’t responded as well as anybody likes. Sometimes when you’re given a definitive, ‘Hey, this guy is out for X amount of time’ or had surgery or this or that, it’s a little easier to put behind you. But when it’s kind of a day-to-day thing where the player’s here getting treatment, then you ask a little more.”

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Man this is not good for a goalie to have back problems. That position relies a lot on flexibility, crouching and pouncing on pucks. This is very worrisome considering the schedule coming up. He may be relied upon for a lot of important games and a few back to backs to nail down 4th place. Make sure he is healthy and 100% this time.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Spent my teens and most of my twenties with them until I finally had surgery.

I don’t wish them on anyone.

Hope he heals up soon!

I’ve been dealing with lumbar stenosis throughout most of my 20’s and I definitely wouldn’t physically be able to play goalie. Hopefully for Tuukka it’s more of a strain than a disc or spinal column issue

Reactions: easton117

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I’ve been dealing with lumbar stenosis throughout most of my 20’s and I definitely wouldn’t physically be able to play goalie. Hopefully for Tuukka it’s more of a strain than a disc or spinal column issue
That’s what I had. Finally had surgery when I was around 27.

Was funny, I could play sports fine. Maybe because you’re not as upright, I don’t know. I couldn’t walk through a grocery store at the end without having to go to my knees and rest which was mildly embarrassing.

Also had the joy of not knowing of my feet were getting a signal, kinda like when your leg falls asleep. Fell backwards a few times thanks to that one.

All in all, would not recommend. I would recommend the surgery though. Added life to my years.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This will be Halak last season imo. His age is showing. Sweeney won't bring him back... I would be surprised if he did

I have a good feeling about both Vlad and Swayman can be the next "goalies". Like Pens have with Jarry and DeSmith etc.
With the young defense we have I’m not sure I’d like to have two young goalies behind them. Halak is a no brainer to go, let Vladar or Swayman take the backup role.

I was all for extending Rask a few years at the start of the season, now I’m not so sure. I still think he could be our best option rather than going to FA. Could end up paying more for a lesser goalie.

2021 NHL Free Agents - Goaltender

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
With the young defense we have I’m not sure I’d like to have two young goalies behind them. Halak is a no brainer to go, let Vladar or Swayman take the backup role.

I was all for extending Rask a few years at the start of the season, now I’m not so sure. I still think he could be our best option rather than going to FA. Could end up paying more for a lesser goalie.

2021 NHL Free Agents - Goaltender

Halak lets in bad goals too many times to feel comfortable

He is not only one of the oldest goalie but is also one of the smallest.

Vladar is close .. just need to see more/experience. Swayman at this rate will be AHL goaltender of the year. Wont be a need to keep Swayman down there

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Meh he was done as a Bruin at the end of the year anyway. Outlier year last year aside he's been slightly above average for a looooong time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There is the pesky issue of the expansion draft

upload_2021-4-3_2-38-15.png

:help:

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hate to say it, but writing is on the wall for Tuuk here in Boston. When you throw in the issue of expansion rules, it’s kind of a done deal

from a perspective of looking at another team in the same situation, I’d see them headed for a mini rebuild. But I’m skeptical sweeney can pull it off

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
There is the pesky issue of the expansion draft

View attachment 416657

:help:

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.
That's why they signed Booth, he'll be exposed not Vladar or Swayman

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Better get Swayman in for some games. I could totally see Rask calling it a day and saying I'm not into this anymore. He has have made enough money but health you cannot buy.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Yikes. Wonder how that will effect the decisions to be made by Sweeney & co. in the next week or so.

I think it definitely throws another spanner in the works, quite a large one. Back issues can have such uncertain trajectories and if Rask can't get playing and find good form before the playoffs then the Bruins are going to have a very short postseason. I don't think there's any doubt about that. So Sweeney faces a situation where he's got the possibility of giving up future assets to improve the team before the deadline but knowing it could be a total waste if his no. 1 goalie can't get fully healthy. I mean that could happen anyway if other senior players subsequently get injured, but at least you could explain that away as being an unknown variable, or an occupational hazard, rather than this awkward situation where he already knows that Rask is unfit and in an indeterminate state.

If I were in Don's position then unless Rask is in a better state that he appears to be from the comments to the media, I'd be seriously thinking now about shutting up shop for the season or even beginning to consider what I can sell. Feels like it's coming ever closer to the point where it just has to be accepted that it's not going to happen for the Bs this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad