Confirmed with Link: Tuukka has left the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Look - This could also be a case that his wife said I need you home.

Like everything else in 2020 we as fans just have to roll with the punches - Next season? :dunno:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Of the contract, he’s still on tab for next year no?

If your work told you that due to COVID you could return home from a business trip instead of working, and you did so, would you expect to be fired or have your contract terminated?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Haha, sounds good! Appreciate the debate, I still go to work everyday.
So do I.
I'm not married, but if my mom, dad or brother called me up and said "Lobster, i realize it's the playoffs (or you've got the Penske file to close, or whatever) but I NEED you home, right now" guess what? I'm going home. Hockey is meaningless. You're a selfish, heartless prick if you think it's more important for a guy to choose his job, ANY job, over his family.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
If your work told you that due to COVID you could return home from a business trip instead of working, and you did so, would you expect to be fired or have your contract terminated?
Can we consider the specifics?

They’re in one of the safest cities in North America and given consideration several times above the average citizen while making 100x the pay, your comparison is moot.

Again, my position is that he should retire or opt out of his contract and our opinions would be shared.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
True enough, I suppose the distinction of not violating the contract is contentious given that 99.9% of players are honouring their contracts more fully.

Legally, I wouldn’t pursue a lawsuit, but don’t make it seem like this isn’t an outlier.

lol.
As part of the resuming games and the extended CBA players were given the option to opt out or in. Or back in.
No contact has been violated.
The agreement between parties has been honored.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

They’re in one of the safest cities in North America and given consideration several times above the average citizen while making 100x the pay, your comparison is moot.

Again, my position is that he should retire or opt out of his contract and our opinions would be shared.

Don't deflect, answer the question.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
So do I.
I'm not married, but if my mom, dad or brother called me up and said "Lobster, i realize it's the playoffs (or you've got the Penske file to close, or whatever) but I NEED you home, right now" guess what? I'm going home. Hockey is meaningless. You're a selfish, heartless prick if you think it's more important for a guy to choose his job, ANY job, over his family.

I save my heart for the unemployed and underpaid, he should retire.

If I chose to pick my family over my job, I wouldn’t expect 7 million come September:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Again, they're not being paid for this.

He can't "opt out of his contract"

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That’s a really interesting title to the KPD article.

Who in the Bruins organization knows it’s time to move on?

Players?

Coaches?

Management?

Likely included some lame, derogatory "nick name" for Rask. Although the club may be, or may have, moved on from Rask, the cubbard is fairly bare.

Beyond this, KPD is a hack. Read him if you will, but I'm glad he's behind a paywall.

Ick.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Don't deflect, answer the question.
I would expect you to include the testing and treatment of players in your example, but I’m only comparing against the vast, vast majority.

If he did this prior to the bubble, I’d be more inclined to agree. He played two playoff games and left, there are specifics that have to be included here.

But in your example, if I were being paid 200x the average person and had health concerns arbitrated, I’d show up.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I save my heart for the unemployed and underpaid, he should retire.

If I chose to pick my family over my job, I wouldn’t expect 7 million come September:

So people who make millions shouldn't get to care about their families because your entertainment is at stake?

Reactions: Ladyfan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So do I.

So the NHLers currently who may be under the same pressure from family members that don’t run home and chose them first are selfish heartless pricks? Tuukka is the only one in the whole lot of players that may be experiencing family issues right now? He’s the only guy that misses his family? His family is the only one who “needs their dad right now?”

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would expect you to include the testing and treatment of players in your example, but I’m only comparing against the vast, vast majority.

If he did this prior to the bubble, I’d be more inclined to agree. He played two playoff games and left, there are specifics that have to be included here.

But in your example, if I were being paid 200x the average person and had health concerns arbitrated, I’d show up.
and if your wife was suffering post-partum depression? or one your kids was having major behavioral issues adjusting to the newborn in the house?
how does his salary help there?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NHL now says he can come back BUT he would then have to be in quarantine protocols that satisfy the Canadian government, Ontario government, and the NHL.

Leaving the bubble, by the way, technically does not terminate Rask’s season. A check with the league office on Saturday confirmed that a player who leaves can return, although he would have to conform to quarantine conditions established in the league’s Return To Play agreement, as well as the protocols set forth by the cities of Toronto or Edmonton (if the Bruins were to make it beyond the second round).

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
So people who make millions shouldn't get to care about their families because your entertainment is at stake?

To some extent, yes. He is paid massively, and to have massive expectations doesn’t seem misplaced. He had months off while he would have been working, the delay is understandable and he should be playing.

Just Uncle Ben this, with great power (pay) comes great responsibility.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The NHL now says he can come back BUT he would then have to be in quarantine protocols that satisfy the Canadian government, Ontario government, and the NHL.

Leaving the bubble, by the way, technically does not terminate Rask’s season. A check with the league office on Saturday confirmed that a player who leaves can return, although he would have to conform to quarantine conditions established in the league’s Return To Play agreement, as well as the protocols set forth by the cities of Toronto or Edmonton (if the Bruins were to make it beyond the second round).

I think the protocol is only 4 days in isolation with a negative test each day if you come back. Think it's a moot point though, I can't see any way he comes back given how he left.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
and if your wife was suffering post-partum depression? or one your kids was having major behavioral issues adjusting to the newborn in the house?

Just pay people to take care of it for you. It always works well in movies and real life.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

My question had nothing to do with the NHL situation, it was specifically directed to you and your situation. And I didn't ask if you would show up, I asked if you chose to go home, should you expect to lose your job and/or contract for a decision you bosses said you could do if you wanted.

Now answer the question.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto

I appreciate this view, which is why I take Sweeney at his word which left ambiguity to his decision.

He has brought up notions of retirement in an entirely unique way prior to this, if you’re ready to leave after two playoff games at your teams peak, just leave.

I do respect your opinion, but the money and circumstances call for another decision IMO.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
lol.
As part of the resuming games and the extended CBA players were given the option to opt out or in. Or back in.
No contact has been violated.
The agreement between parties has been honored.
But, if he was given that option and opted in, then later doesn’t fulfill his agreement, doesn’t he violate it by later quitting?

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
My question had nothing to do with the NHL situation, it was specifically directed to you and your situation. And I didn't ask if you would show up, I asked if you chose to go home, should you expect to lose your job and/or contract for a decision you bosses said you could do if you wanted.

Now answer the question.

Clearly it’s a question with an unknown given the inclusion of a partner.

If my wife asked me to leave, I would do as I’ve suggested, retire or cancel my current contract if the Bruins were amenable.

Your hypothetical isn’t scary if your net worth is over 20 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad