Confirmed with Link: Tuukka has left the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
So the NHLers currently who may be under the same pressure from family members that don’t run home and chose them first are selfish heartless pricks? Tuukka is the only one in the whole lot of players that may be experiencing family issues right now? He’s the only guy that misses his family? His family is the only one who “needs their dad right now?”
yes.
I can only answer this question by dabbling in some speculation as NOT A SINGLE PERSON HERE KNOWS WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON

But yes, if there was some serious issues at home (post-partum, major behavioral issues with one of the other kids adjusting to new kid anything like that) and Patrice Bergeron, whom i revere on the same level i revere Neil Young and Chief Brody, said, "nah, i'm gonna do some hockey!" I would, 100%, think much much less of him as a person

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The NHL now says he can come back BUT he would then have to be in quarantine protocols that satisfy the Canadian government, Ontario government, and the NHL.

Leaving the bubble, by the way, technically does not terminate Rask’s season. A check with the league office on Saturday confirmed that a player who leaves can return, although he would have to conform to quarantine conditions established in the league’s Return To Play agreement, as well as the protocols set forth by the cities of Toronto or Edmonton (if the Bruins were to make it beyond the second round).

Thanks for the info !

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
To some extent, yes. He is paid massively, and to have massive expectations doesn’t seem misplaced. He had months off while he would have been working, the delay is understandable and he should be playing.

Just Uncle Ben this, with great power (pay) comes great responsibility.
that's just astoundingly self-centered

Reactions: Ladyfan

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Clearly it’s a question with an unknown given the inclusion of a partner.

If my wife asked me to leave, I would do as I’ve suggested, retire or cancel my current contract if the Bruins were amenable.

Your hypothetical isn’t scary if your net worth is over 20 million.

Never said you were employed by the Bruins. At your current salary, your job tells you can return from a business trip due to COVID. You choose to do it. Should they fire you for your choice?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
But, if he was given that option and opted in, then later doesn’t fulfill his agreement, doesn’t he violate it by later quitting?

nope. Under the pandemic players can opt out. Because the situation is dynamic and not static. Right now he has. He can opt back in later if he desires and can fulfill protocol that was negotiated.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Never said you were employed by the Bruins. At your current salary, your job tells you can return from a business trip due to COVID. You choose to do it. Should they fire you for your choice?

It’s not a fair comparison, my entire argument is predicated on his pay. You can continue to ignore it, but societally why should it not be considered.

I have to make a mortgage payment, Tuuka doesn’t, your argument is absurd.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sad. Making money doesn't make you a slave to your employment.

If you want to make money from your employment you show up for work

But we are not slaves

I quit working at the carwash last year when my wife crippled herself with a fall. Im now an unpaid 24/7 nurse helping her get to the bathroom

Someone else was able to take my 15 dollar an hour carwash job and that business goes on. I made my decesion to put family ahead of work and now so has tukka

No one is a slave but he has a guaranteed contract and the team has a cap... and if he doesnt do the honorable thing and retire than hes f***ing all of us

I respect him if he retires but if he jerks us around like byfulin did to the jets this year then all respect is out the window

Honestly rumors were already circulating he was going to retire even before covid... so thats his right

Hes not being asked to be a slave. If hes ready to quit then best he goes

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
yes.
I can only answer this question by dabbling in some speculation as NOT A SINGLE PERSON HERE KNOWS WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON

But yes, if there was some serious issues at home (post-partum, major behavioral issues with one of the other kids adjusting to new kid anything like that) and Patrice Bergeron, whom i revere on the same level i revere Neil Young and Chief Brody, said, "nah, i'm gonna do some hockey!" I would, 100%, think much much less of him as a person

Jaws character reference makes you my favorite poster ever. Greatest movie ever

Reactions: Lobster57

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It’s not a fair comparison, my entire argument is predicated on his pay. You can continue to ignore it, but societally why should it not be considered.

I have to make a mortgage payment, Tuuka doesn’t, your argument is absurd.

You called for the Bruins to terminate his contract. So the comparison is quite apt. The NHL/your bosss tated he/you ould opt out. He/you choose to opt out. Should he/you lose his/your job?

Simple question that you can't/won't answer. I think we all know why.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
pretty much.

although based on history I expected KPD to rip him a new one.
That says something about how Tuukka is viewed as a teamate and with the press corps.

Yes, but as always, KPD places great importance on a player's willingness to feed the media, to "play ball." And he derides players who don't, or won't, do so.

It was so long ago, probably 2004, when captain Joe Thornton failed, for whatever reason, to address the media after a series loss to the Canadiens.

DuPont made this the emphasis of his coverage. Not so much the B's series loss, but the fact that Thornton dare stand up loser Boston sports media types. Oh my God, call a cop!

The guy's a jerk. End rant.

Reactions: Ladyfan and jgatie

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
If you want to make money from your employment you show up for work

But we are not slaves

I quit working at the carwash last year when my wife crippled herself with a fall. Im now an unpaid 24/7 nurse helping her get to the bathroom

Someone else was able to take my 15 dollar an hour carwash job and that business goes on. I made my decesion to put family ahead of work and now so has tukka

No one is a slave but he has a guaranteed contract and the team has a cap... and if he doesnt do the honorable thing and retire than hes f***ing all of us

I respect him if he retires but if he jerks us around like byfulin did to the jets this year then all respect is out the window

Honestly rumors were already circulating he was going to retire even before covid... so thats his right

Hes not being asked to be a slave. If hes ready to quit then best he goes
This, this, a thousand times this.

If you’re defending an outlier millionaire quitting on the team, take a second to wonder why. Please include the notion he could comfortably retire any time.

Rask is not like you or I, but he his like every other player still playing right now, which is why he doesn’t deserve your empathy.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yes, but as always, KPD places great importance on a player's willingness to feed the media, to "play ball." And he derides players who don't, or won't, do so.

It was so long ago, probably 2004, when captain Joe Thornton failed, for whatever reason, to address the media after a series loss to the Canadiens.

DuPont made this the emphasis of his coverage. Not so much the B's series loss, but the fact that Thornton dare stand up loser Boston sports media types. Oh my God, call a cop!

The guy's a jerk. End rant.

KPD was very respectful of Tuukka in his article.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
You called for the Bruins to terminate his contract. So the comparison is quite apt. The NHL/your bosss tated he/you ould opt out. He/you choose to opt out. Should he/you lose his/your job?

Simple question that you can't/won't answer. I think we all know why.
He’s a millionaire and one of the highest earners in the team. I’ll write it one more time for you.

If you don’t think net worth or salary matters in employment decisions that’s your prerogative.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He’s a millionaire and one of the highest earners in the team. I’ll write it one more time for you.

If you don’t think net worth or salary matters in employment decisions that’s your prerogative.

Still not answering.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

If you’re defending an outlier millionaire quitting on the team, take a second to wonder why. Please include the notion he could comfortably retire any time.

Rask is not like you or I, but he his like every other player still playing right now, which is why he doesn’t deserve your empathy.
every human on earth, aside from rapists, murderers and pedo's deserves empathy. It's free and, unlike money, giving it away earns interest.

Reactions: Ladyfan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

You are allowed to not agree with his decision but still have empathy for him no?

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
So people who make millions shouldn't get to care about their families because your entertainment is at stake?
The issue is that “get to care about your family” is entirely ambiguous and a matter of interpretation that leads to a slippery slope. Players at his level have a degree of responsibility to the team and fans. The French call it “noblesse oblige’”.

Serious, immediate physical malady might excuse it but Tuukka’s talk about this atmosphere just not having the right playoff vibe pretty much indicates that his rationale is probably something less than extremis.

He has let the team down, the city down and the fans down, as I see it, given existing evidence.

Unless and until I see otherwise, this will be an unforgivable offense in my mind and this player should not remain a Bruin henceforth.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The issue is that “get to care about your family” is entirely ambiguous and a matter of interpretation that leads to a slippery slope. Players at his level have a degree of responsibility to the team and fans. The French call it “noblesse oblige’”.

Serious, immediate physical malady might excuse it but Tuukka’s talk about this atmosphere just not having the right playoff vibe pretty much indicates that his rationale is probably something less than extremis.

He has let the team down, the city down and the fans down, as I see it, given existing evidence.

Unless and until I see otherwise, this will be an unforgivable offense in my mind and this player should not remain a Bruin henceforth.

speak for yourself. He didnt let me down.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
nope. Under the pandemic players can opt out. Because the situation is dynamic and not static. Right now he has. He can opt back in later if he desires and can fulfill protocol that was negotiated.
So the player has, according to the agreement you cited,the right to quit after agreeing to participate, then come back at his whim and the team has no say in the matter?

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Still not answering.
And I won’t if you don’t consider net worth or salary.

Would you offer similar employment advice to a 16 year old quitting 7/11 and a CEO quitting a Fortune 500 company?

Give me a break man, your question is absurd. It also excludes notions of fairness amongst partners, I would have a fair discussion with my wife, but your parameters have me excluding net worth or liabilities.

Quit it with your hypotheticals and talk about Rask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino