News: Turris to be scratched again

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
5 years? Ouch.

I'd offer Eriksson but those extra years make it tough to want to acquire him.
Canucks don't need him & certainly don't want to tie up the cap.
Top 6 centres - Horvat and Petterson (JT Miller can also play centre)
Bottom 6 centres - Sutter, Gaudette (who is on the upswing and may be an effective 2nd line centre in time), Beagle
All of the above names are under contract for at least one more year.
In the pipeline, Tyler Madden is progressing very well.
The Canucks are actually looking pretty good at centre. That said, I can see the argument whereby the Canucks pick him up for an asset or in exchange for their own bad contract to be their 3rd line centre and trade Gaudette & Sutter for value on the wings. I just don't think that's good asset management at the moment with Sutter's injury (again) and Gaudette only beginning to establish himself.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Has he really been that bad?

I mean, SJ has a guy they didn't even want playing 4C last year as their 2C tonight, he can't be worse than that.
He's not playing badly at all. He basically looks like his old self, totally recovered from the injuries that plagued him last season. But he has been bouncing all over the lineup, getting 10 or 12 mins some nights, not really being put in a position to find any consistency.

I firmly believe he'd put up "his usual" 50+ pts if you just put him out regularly in a #2C role with 16-17 minutes a night.

But in Nashville we have two better top-6 centers in Johansen and Duchene. And on top of that we have two more traditional bottom-6 centers in Bonino and Sissons as well. And all are signed through next season (and in fact for much longer term in the cases of Johansen, Duchene, and Sissons). Think about it, we have almost $30M of cap space allocated to our centers. That's not sustainable.

So what most of us would like to see is just make Turris a winger on our team. But Laviolette can't seem to commit to that. Or maybe Turris doesn't want that. Whatever, we don't know, but it seems like they've reached the point now where that's off the table and they're scratching a $6M player just because they can't figure out where to use him. He shouldn't be scratched at all.

At any rate, he's not a cap dump player. He can't/shouldn't be traded for some other cap dump. He's too good for that. Even as a $6M insurance policy he still has value to our team. If one of our other centers goes down, we have a premium replacement on hand. (As long as he doesn't get too frustrated and demand a trade, anyway.) So that's worth something to us. I'd only trade him for something else that is worth something to us. A solid #5D would be an option, but not some of the pure cap dump names that have been mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: qqaz

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
f*** it, Sabres have needed centre help for 2 years now & we already suck... Take a flyer on him...

To :sabres
C Kyle Turris ($6M UFA in '24)
RW Mikael Granlund ($5.75M - 45% retained = $3.17M UFA in '20)
--------------------------------
$9.17M in, $8.4M out.

To :nashville
D Rasmus Ristolainen ($5.4M UFA in '22)
LW/RW Conor Sheary ($3M UFA in '20)
-------------------------------
$8.4M in, $9.17M out

Last edited by a moderator:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Lucic, Alzner, Eriksson, Nielsen --- these are the types of players who Turris will not be traded for. We also will not give up picks in order to move him. He's worth more as an insurance policy to us than any of that.

Buffalo for a D... ever since July 1st when we signed Duchene I've thought that might be something worth exploring.

Reactions: qqaz

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Fu*k it, Sabres have needed centre help for 2 years now & we already suck... Take a flyer on him...

$9.17M in, $8.4M out.

$8.4M in, $9.17M out
I would take this. We need another tiny winger like Sheary like we need a hole in the head, and it means giving up on the still-active dream that Granlund might snap out of his funk and catch fire for us. But it's just for the rest of this year and Sheary can't really produce any less than Granlund is producing right now. And I wouldn't feel badly about promoting Smith back to the 2nd line in place of Granlund.

Meanwhile we can try to salvage Ristolainen, harness his raw talents into filling our need on D. We might lose him in expansion, but we've got a little time to see how that plays out.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
**** it, Sabres have needed centre help for 2 years now & we already suck... Take a flyer on him...

$9.17M in, $8.4M out.

$8.4M in, $9.17M out

Why would you do that?
You realize that you can get Turris for a conditional 7th?
And do you really believe that Granlund is the best you can do for Risto?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
**** it, Sabres have needed centre help for 2 years now & we already suck... Take a flyer on him...

$9.17M in, $8.4M out.

$8.4M in, $9.17M out
thats soo bad for buffalo

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Turris actually fits the flames needs. Middle 6 center with a RHS.

This may be crazy, but what kind of sweetener would it take for Nashville to take Lucic for Turris. The extra years on Turris' deal might make it closer than you think.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Turris plus a 2nd for cost controlled, 3 time Stanley Cup winning, great locker room guy Brent Seabrook. Nashville clearly needs a winner.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Why would you do that?
Because these particular Sabres posters aren't even good at evaluating Sabres players let alone players on other teams. I'm of the belief that half the Sabres posters on this board haven't watched another team play Hockey in the last 10 years. It would explain why they have so much blind optimism about their team. They haven't see what real NHL teams are supposed to look like. Probably still believe Kyle Turris is 23 years old.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I honestly think there could be something to a deal around ristolainen and turris

Sabres have a huge boner to move ristolainen and need a second line centre. If turris is given second line mins he is a fifty point centre. Their contracts are fairly close as well.

Ristolainen is struggling in buffalo this season without a single goal yet. I think a deal could be made here.

As some pointed out above, turris is not bad enough to be scratched we just don’t have a spot for him, plain and simple.

Reactions: NNCbama and Ainsy01

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
He's not playing badly at all. He basically looks like his old self, totally recovered from the injuries that plagued him last season. But he has been bouncing all over the lineup, getting 10 or 12 mins some nights, not really being put in a position to find any consistency.

I firmly believe he'd put up "his usual" 50+ pts if you just put him out regularly in a #2C role with 16-17 minutes a night.

But in Nashville we have two better top-6 centers in Johansen and Duchene. And on top of that we have two more traditional bottom-6 centers in Bonino and Sissons as well. And all are signed through next season (and in fact for much longer term in the cases of Johansen, Duchene, and Sissons). Think about it, we have almost $30M of cap space allocated to our centers. That's not sustainable.

So what most of us would like to see is just make Turris a winger on our team. But Laviolette can't seem to commit to that. Or maybe Turris doesn't want that. Whatever, we don't know, but it seems like they've reached the point now where that's off the table and they're scratching a $6M player just because they can't figure out where to use him. He shouldn't be scratched at all.

At any rate, he's not a cap dump player. He can't/shouldn't be traded for some other cap dump. He's too good for that. Even as a $6M insurance policy he still has value to our team. If one of our other centers goes down, we have a premium replacement on hand. (As long as he doesn't get too frustrated and demand a trade, anyway.) So that's worth something to us. I'd only trade him for something else that is worth something to us. A solid #5D would be an option, but not some of the pure cap dump names that have been mentioned in this thread.
Anything in SJ you'd be interested in?
Our most available players are:

Dillon
Heed
Melker Karlsson
Gambrell
Radil
Soumela

and pretty much any prospect we have besides Ferraro. Ones worth mentioning at all:

Chmelvelski
Checkovich
Merkley
Blicfield
Gregor
Dahlen
Leonard
Hamaliuk
Knyazev

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Anything in SJ you'd be interested in?
Our most available players are:

Dillon
Heed
Melker Karlsson
Gambrell
Radil
Soumela

and pretty much any prospect we have besides Ferraro. Ones worth mentioning at all:

Chmelvelski
Checkovich
Merkley
Blicfield
Gregor
Dahlen
Leonard
Hamaliuk
Knyazev
We should be recieving a pick for Turris. His contract blows

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Why would you do that?

We have 9 NHL dmen & Gotta move dollars out to add anybody to the Sabres forward corps...using straight picks isnt an option for adds... And yes, based on the fact they've been shopping him for a year to the entire league & he's still in Buffalo (and I'm not oblivious to his struggles like some..), I would gladly take a potential 60pt RW/C like Granlund for him...

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad