Turris Criticizes SM-liiga, Discusses Lockout

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
All these NHLers complaining about other leagues is priceless.

Maybe time to realize how ****ing good you have it in the NHL and end the god damned lockout.

Yes -his outrage over bussing and eating at truck stops was pretty funny... I guess maybe the NHL treats their cattle pretty well.

To be fair to Turris, he was much more respectful and complimentary toward the experience in his interviews when he came beck here. Regarding the food, he said he liked reindeer and elk but didn't care for the pre game noodles and curries, but was very positive toward his teammates and said the hockey was at a high level.

Sounds like he was homesick and frustrated when this interview was done and said things he wished he hadn't.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have a Finnish friend, and when I asked her about Oulu, she said it was essentially a hole in the middle of nowhere. She'd been a few times, and couldn't think of a reason to ever go back.

She loves Finland otherwise. Was born in Turku, went to school in Helsinki. (I don't know if that matters, but in case any Fins are reading the thread, I guess it's a good reference as to what she might be comparing Oulu to?)

Just putting this out there as anecdotal evidence in the case of public opinion: "Turris v. Finland"

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
went to kärpät game couple of weeks ago.. after the game stopped at "abc-truckstop". it was full of drunken people coming from the game buying more booze. (imaging this multimillionaire guy there eating microwave-thing, must be really akward situation) i believe his comment wasn't mentioned to taken too serious, i mean everybody hates those places and everyone thinks their food is absolutely awfull, but there is really nothing else places to stop middle of nowhere, either you stop there or wont stop at all. travelling is equally that horrible in finland he describes, it's dark it's boring as hell, it's cold and wet and distances feels unreal. more north you go it's getting more depressive. i'm sure he is great person and enjoyed playing and being here, but those points he revealed, i couldn't agree more. one thing to notice also, oulu natives are known to be extremely inwards and innovert people, it's really common that you have to spend around year or two to get known by face and people will change their behavior and seems theres no exceptions. it may have been hard time to him realize he is just an another stranger here and treated like anyone else.

this must be the truckstop place he is referring to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4s-bA7w4Zc

funny part about his complains indeed is.. it's not even cold yet :D

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Talk about being stuck up... How old are you? Like 75 or something?!

It's less about being stuck up and more about being entitled and the galling lack of tact Turris has shown here. If players wonder why a portion of the NHL Fanbase has or is turning on them, just read that article or various tweets, the players come off as spoiled babies.

No one forced Kyle Turris to go to Oulu...suck it up princess or pack your bags.

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
I have a Finnish friend, and when I asked her about Oulu, she said it was essentially a hole in the middle of nowhere. She'd been a few times, and couldn't think of a reason to ever go back.

She loves Finland otherwise. Was born in Turku, went to school in Helsinki. (I don't know if that matters, but in case any Fins are reading the thread, I guess it's a good reference as to what she might be comparing Oulu to?)

[/I]"

Well i bet she didnt tell you that Turku is officially The a**hole of Finland, only city worse than Oulu :laugh: Just had to mention this :)

DeVoice

Jan 26, 2012
Sarnia
wow just shows how people need hockey if this is a real issue....lame.
I'll file this under "don't care..don't matter"

Drop the puck:handclap:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This story seems to be BS btw. Did some looking around and I don't believe Turris said most of what's in this interview. Of course he wouldn't, no hockey player would especially such a mild-mannered one like Kyle Turris lol. Something fishy...and he certainly wouldn'[t say it while still under contract.

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
All I got from this article is that Alfie will be around for 5 more years

"It’s really exciting in Ottawa because we are going to have such a good, young team. We have five years to make good things happen."

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well i bet she didnt tell you that Turku is officially The a**hole of Finland, only city worse than Oulu :laugh: Just had to mention this :)

Haha, I actually have never talked to her about Turku... maybe that's why she went to school in Helsinki?

Or maybe there's some intense Turku-Oulu rivalry I don't know about? Oulu slept with Turku's sister, and now Turku just can't deal? :laugh:

roto

Oct 26, 2009
If I were a Canadian NHL player I wouldn't select to play in a FEL-team located in small city in the middle of nowhere near arctic circle AND THEN complain in public 1) it's cold 2) it's dark 3) there's nothing to do 4) travelling is awful 5) no gourmet meals on the road etc.

It's a fact that Northern Finland can be depressive place during this time of year (cold and dark). I've been living abroad and I know that there's nothing to do unless you find something to do. Most probably Kärpät didn't hire a 24/7 entertainer for Turris. Travelling from place to place is more or less awful always (at least for me). I guess Turris knew beforehand that in SM-Liiga they don't have private jets and that shortest road trip for Kärpät is about four hours by bus.

Those truck stops (ABC), by the way, offer decent food from buffet (which players likely use). It's not gourmet but it's relatively healthy basic food (meat, fish, vegetables etc). It's not nutritionally optimized for pro athletes, but at least it's not junk food and you know what you're going to get: not good or not bad. Finding English movies in theaters or TV shouldn't be a problem because basically nothing is dubbed for people over ~7 years old.

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
Haha, I actually have never talked to her about Turku... maybe that's why she went to school in Helsinki?

Or maybe there's some intense Turku-Oulu rivalry I don't know about? Oulu slept with Turku's sister, and now Turku just can't deal? :laugh:

I think that the rivalry is between Helsinki/Tampere vs. Turku, i dont think that there is bad blood between Turku-Oulu.

Personally I think that both cities are beautiful, especially in summertime, when there is miniskirt season and daylight almost 24/7. ;)

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
How can he complain about not being able to watch movies in English, when we are one of the few folks in this continent that actually doesn't dub at all.. Only Children's movies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad