Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Scherzer probably the greatest free agent signing of all time lol.

I thought he would break down but he is definitely up there for one of the best free agent signings of all time but Bonds would be the best. Bonds might be the best in pro sports in terms of individual value.

Clemens, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Ichiro and Maddux are in the mix too.

Reactions: Epictetus

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't follow baseball in depth like you do but wouldn't that be around 16 years of control amongst 3 potentially good to very good players for 2 years of control for a proven very good player? I guess the keys words are "potentially" and "proven" ?

Yes, and your hesitation on the value is correct. There types of deals rarely happen anymore as GM's have gotten steadily smarter over the last five years. There was a time, not that long ago, that such deals occured consistently. (i.e. Dickey for Synergaard + d'Arnaud).

As Discoverer mentioned, its too much surplus value, however its also the cornerstone of a franchise looking to win, with said franchise not having any incentive to trade the player.

There's one for one value, then there's incentive to deal.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Evan Longoria is on twitter *****ing about a terrible robot ump call in one of the AFL games that's testing the tech. Lots of "wah, wah, wah, look how awful these robot umps are. You can't allow this to be used in baseball games."

It's hilarious

Players, managers, and fans: "Robot umps suck and aren't 100% accurate, they shouldn't be used."

Also players, managers, and fans: "OMG THAT UMPIRE IS TERRIBLE AND THEIR INABILITY TO CALL BALLS & STRIKES IS INEXCUSABLE! THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!!!"

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
One thing that's never really been mentioned about Osuna is that for as good as he is, he's kind of a chocker.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Evan Longoria is on twitter *****ing about a terrible robot ump call in one of the AFL games that's testing the tech. Lots of "wah, wah, wah, look how awful these robot umps are. You can't allow this to be used in baseball games."

It's hilarious

Players, managers, and fans: "Robot umps suck and aren't 100% accurate, they shouldn't be used."

Also players, managers, and fans: "OMG THAT UMPIRE IS TERRIBLE AND THEIR INABILITY TO CALL BALLS & STRIKES IS INEXCUSABLE! THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!!!"
"I'm a veteran! Why haven't they programmed the robot umps to give veterans the usual veteran leeway in terms of strikes? It's like I'm a rookie again!"

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Padres fan posted in another forum that their ownership is looking to move Myers' contract and is either willing to retain money or pay in terms of a prospect if they didnt have to retain.

This fan went to say they would be fine with giving up Patino if someone took on Myers contract but did acknowledge that the Padres woulndt trade Patino. Patino might be a year from Gore territory.

Reactions: Kurtz

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Padres fan posted in another forum that their ownership is looking to move Myers' contract and is either willing to retain money or pay in terms of a prospect if they didnt have to retain.

This fan went to say they would be fine with giving up Patino if someone took on Myers contract but did acknowledge that the Padres woulndt trade Patino. Patino might be a year from Gore territory.

I would do it. Put Myers at 1B. He also has flexibility to DH and play corner OF. I know his contract is big, but if there is a type of player the Jays should take a flyer on its Myers. They will never have a lower salary cap number as this coming season, if we can get a top prospect along with him for taking on his contract its a deal the Jays should do.

Who knows, the Rogers Center might do wonders for him and playing in all the small AL East parks may help him. Worst case you take him on, he does well and you parlay him into other prospects.

I would do it.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I would do it. Put Myers at 1B. He also has flexibility to DH and play corner OF. I know his contract is big, but if there is a type of player the Jays should take a flyer on its Myers. They will never have a lower salary cap number as this coming season, if we can get a top prospect along with him for taking on his contract its a deal the Jays should do.

Who knows, the Rogers Center might do wonders for him and playing in all the small AL East parks may help him. Worst case you take him on, he does well and you parlay him into other prospects.

I would do it.

I would too but only if it were a legit prospect like a Patino. SD is behind the 8 ball with their bad contracts in Myers and Hosmer who took up close to 50% of their payroll (40M) while producing a combined 0.1 fWAR. I got no incentive to help them unless they really pay a price.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would too but only if it were a legit prospect like a Patino. SD is behind the 8 ball with their bad contracts in Myers and Hosmer who took up close to 50% of their payroll (40M) while producing a combined 0.1 fWAR. I got no incentive to help them unless they really pay a price.

How about this:

Teoscar Hernandez , Tellez

for

Myers, Patino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->