Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I mean the pitch would be simple. "Hey we have arguably the best upcoming offence in baseball. We need a stable rotation and we think you're a top 5 pitcher in the league. Here's the money and term we are willing to commit." There's not much else one can say. I feel like it's also contingent on a guy like Pearson coming in and making an impact. Cole is young enough that a 1-2 punch of him and Pearson would be HUGE going forward once Vlad and Bo take the league by storm.

Upcoming, but still 2 years at least from competing for something. Getting Cole would be a great add though, it will set up the rotation nicely.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
How much of Prices salary would they need to eat for us to take him off their hands. They are desperate to dump salary it seems and obviously would love to get out from under his contract. His numbers are trending the wrong way and he’s obviously been battling injury issues. Just wondering if there’s value in taking him at 10 to 15 million a year. Obviously, the return is going to be minimal at best

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Add Cole and Strasburg. Trade for a stud outfielder and add a solid 1B or DH. Simple right? Haha

Cole
Strasburg
Pearson
Shoemaker
Thornton

Bichette
Biggio
Stud OF
Guerrero
DH
Gurriel
Grichuk
Tellez
Jansen or McGuire

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Don't think Cole - think Keuchel. He's a plausible get since the demand for him seems muted and he surely won't get more than 2-3 years, which is right around the time that most of our top pitching prospects should be coming up/establishing themselves.

Cole will demand a type of contract that Shapiro has never given out, and it's probably 2 years too early to entertain the possibility of a big money deal for a UFA ace.

The main thing you have to avoid is giving out massive, long term deals (like Price) to a star UFA pitcher just to see him give us 2 great seasons while we're still in the building stage, and then turn into a liability (for his money) just when we're ready to compete.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Signing Cole is unrealistic. Though its worth pitching him (and Strasburg), the likelihood of them coming to a rebuilding franchise, regardless of proximity to said rebuild's completion, is slim to none. The list of their possible destinations are limited to HOU\WAS, NY, and LA.

I'm far more interested in unearthing the next Cole, i.e. mid to late 20's starter breakout based on a repertoire change and\or velocity increase. Aka the Astroworld-Mortinization.

I encourage everyone to glance at the before and after of Charlie Morton and Gerrit Cole. Two things they have in common: (1) Sinker usage was dropped, materially in both cases, and reallocated to 4Seam FB, and (2) their breaking ball of choice (or more notably, the breaking pitch that already supplied them with some value; the slider in Cole's case and the Curve in Morton's case) were thrown more\in different sequence.

Aaron Sanchez, whom the Astros likely planned on as their latest experiment, is still a candidate if healthy. Two of my favorites are Musgrove and Turnbull. Syndergaard is the highest profile, though acquiring him would be expensive in theory.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The Blue Jays may be headed for brighter days next year, now that youngsters like Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Cavan Biggio, and Bo Bichette have arrived on the scene. Could veteran–and franchise icon–Edwin Encarnacion be a steadying presence for that young nucleus in 2020? Kaitlyn McGrath of The Athletic takes a long look at Encarnacion’s fit as a potential Toronto addition, opining that the hulking slugger could be a more-than-viable replacement for the likely-to-depart Justin Smoak. Encarnacion’s steady power (104 home runs since 2017) and on-base skills (13.0% walk rate in same time frame) would certainly help boost Toronto’s young lineup, although, as McGrath notes, GM Ross Atkins previously said the club might prioritize a first base addition that “can play other positions as well“. Encarnacion, who will be 37 at the start of spring training, has a $20MM club option with New York for 2020, although he figures to have his $5MM buyout exercised.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Aaron Sanchez, whom the Astros likely planned on as their latest experiment, is still a candidate if healthy. Two of my favorites are Musgrove and Turnbull. Syndergaard is the highest profile, though acquiring him would be expensive in theory.

It'll be really interesting to see what they do with Sanchez this offseason. I suspect he'll be a non-tender and then sign a two-year deal somewhere so that he gets paid while he rehabs and provides a bit of value to the signing team in 2021.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
So is it time for me to reveal now that I didn’t like the Schrezer, Corbin and Sanchez signings for Washington when they were signed?

Nationals fans are grateful I’m not the GM.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Question for those of you who follow the rest of the league (non-Blue Jays) in depth, would Atlanta even consider trading Freddie Freeman to the Jays?...If so what do you think it would cost us?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Question for those of you who follow the rest of the league (non-Blue Jays) in depth, would Atlanta even consider trading Freddie Freeman to the Jays?...If so what do you think it would cost us?

They wouldnt but if they did they would want things that we couldnt give like pitching and OFers, maybe catching.

Would have to start with Pearson and at least Jansen, maybe Biggio. And the Jays would be dumb to do that for a 30 year old 1st basemen with 2 years left.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
No.

Bo + Biggio + Pearson.

I mean... I know there would be a premium to entice a team to make a trade like that because they're in win-now mode and Freeman is a core player, but looking at surplus value we're talking about Pearson and a minor secondary piece.

But more importantly... no. They're not moving Freeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->