Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Feel like there's several pitchers you target prior to getting to the Keuchel, Miley, Roark, Nova tier. Odorizzi is a priority for sure given the velo increase, strikeout increase, peripherals, etc.

Wheeler is about to go Super Saiyan. Teheran is young and has a fairly fixable issue (slider stopped getting major leaguers out) that can be fixed by a pitch mix shakeup. Kyle Gibson is the opposite with his slider being one of the best in baseball.

I still feel like Wheeler is going to be the one. He's not 30 yet (so term shouldn't be a huge concern as he's young enough to still be an effective, high-end starter when the team contends) he's coming off back-to-back 4+ fWAR seasons, the injury history might keep the price/term down a little... I don't know what it is, but he feels like both a good fit and an attainable target to me, even though I realize it's probably aiming too high.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Feel like there's several pitchers you target prior to getting to the Keuchel, Miley, Roark, Nova tier. Odorizzi is a priority for sure given the velo increase, strikeout increase, peripherals, etc.

Wheeler is about to go Super Saiyan. Teheran is young and has a fairly fixable issue (slider stopped getting major leaguers out) that can be fixed by a pitch mix shakeup. Kyle Gibson is the opposite with his slider being one of the best in baseball.
Odorizzi and Wheeler would make for a hell of an off season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Odorizzi and Wheeler would make for a hell of an off season.

Honestly, even one of them would set them up for a pretty nice rotation: Wheeler, Shoemaker, Pearson, Thornton, Borucki/Kay/Waguespack/whoever. There's some obvious volatility due to injury histories and inexperience, but that group (plus some of the better pitching prospects moving to the upper levels) could get really interesting in a hurry.

Also: Jays claim Anthony Bass off waivers and designate Dull. That's a pretty nice add to the pen... seems odd that Bass was waived in the first place.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Honestly, even one of them would set them up for a pretty nice rotation: Wheeler, Shoemaker, Pearson, Thornton, Borucki/Kay/Waguespack/whoever. There's some obvious volatility due to injury histories and inexperience, but that group (plus some of the better pitching prospects moving to the upper levels) could get really interesting in a hurry.

Also: Jays claim Anthony Bass off waivers and designate Dull. That's a pretty nice add to the pen... seems odd that Bass was waived in the first place.

Maybe they should try to acquire Trout too and hire Tim Salmon as a coach or something?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Anthrax442

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Bass is intriguing. He's been a bit inconsistent, but relievers are are basically 30% witchcraft, 30% voodoo, 30% david blaine stage magic, and 10% repeatable performance, so another arm in the queue is always useful.

There dosen't seem to be a lot of talk out there from the M's side about Bass being waived except that some fans were surprised given that he saw some save situations late in the year. But there's also a note that he's arb eligible and due for a raise, so perhaps they just didn't want to spend more money on a highly fungible position when it looks like that team needs to do some retooling.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bass is intriguing. He's been a bit inconsistent, but relievers are are basically 30% witchcraft, 30% voodoo, 30% david blaine stage magic, and 10% repeatable performance, so another arm in the queue is always useful.

There dosen't seem to be a lot of talk out there from the M's side about Bass being waived except that some fans were surprised given that he saw some save situations late in the year. But there's also a note that he's arb eligible and due for a raise, so perhaps they just didn't want to spend more money on a highly fungible position when it looks like that team needs to do some retooling.

He was one of the few solid performers from a terrible bullpen last year in Seattle and projects to get $1.7 million next year. I would be disappointed if the Jays don't tend we him a contract, and I think Mariners fans should be too. (I mean... as disappointed as you can be for losing a mediocre asset.)

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Congrats to the nats but I’m sure glad the off season is almost near. Baseball just drags on when your team isn’t involved in the playoffs.

should be a lot of movement the next few months.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Congrats to the nats but I’m sure glad the off season is almost near. Baseball just drags on when your team isn’t involved in the playoffs.

should be a lot of movement the next few months.
Crazy talk, baseballs playoffs are most exciting imo. If you wanna talk about dragging on, how about having hockey near Father’s Day.
Astros have been my second team dating back to the original rainbow guts days, but gotta admit these Nats are looking like worthy champs. What a series this has been

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
1. Osuna blows it in a key situation as usual.
2. Taubman's terrible few weeks get even worse. No WS ring for you, bud.
3. Lol, Harper.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not that I believe in Karma, but how do you feel now Houston?
Congrats to the Nationals. I'm a Blue Jays but I got some light chills:)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Glad for Hudson. I was going to say at least we got something good for him, but I got the return for Phelps and him mixed up. Hatch looks good. Johnston yikes!

Harper though :laugh:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Congrats to the Nationals. First World Series victory for a Washington D.C.-based team since 1924 and the first World Series win for the Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals franchise.

I became a Montreal Expos fan around 1972 and followed them religiously until I moved to Waterloo for university in 1980 when it became much harder to follow them due to the existence of the Blue Jays. And while the Jays eventually won me over, I always paid attention to what the Expos were doing. And after the Expos moved to Washington to become the Nationals, I was happy to learn from friends of mine in the DC area that the Nationals still honoured the Expos retired numbers.

Incidentally, the current Nationals due have one connection to the Expos. The Expos (and the Blue Jays) were among the 9 teams that manager Dave Martinez played for in his MLB career.

EDIT: corrected my earlier assertion that it was the first World Series win for a DC team.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kinda OT, but the Devils this year remind me of that year the Jays traded for Josh Johnson, Buehrle and Reyes and signed Dickey.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
First off congrats to the Nationals on winning the World Series, well deserved.

If this playoffs proved anything, starting pitching wins you championships. The Nationals rotation won them the championship. The Blue Jays should really focus on adding to the rotation this off season Their offense is suffice as long as you get pitchers that can shut down the opposition for 5-7 innings every game.

Looking forward to this off season. Should be interesting and very telling.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

So Edwin got;
55M over 3 years plus as 5M buyout. Got 60M in total instead of the 80m plus a vesting option to make it 100M he rejected from the Jays.
Played on 3 teams (maybe good, maybe bad, not sure)
Got 3 playoff appearances he likely would not have got if he stayed.
2017: Lost in the 1st round
2018: Swept in the 1st round
2019: Lost in the ALCS

All Edwin has to do is make 20M this off season to not lose guaranteed money which is unlikely but a 15M contract isnt a huge loss. 5M loss to get 3-4 playoff appearances may not be a bad thing for him where he was at in his career.

Jays got Pearson, Morales (Lopez and slot money) and Pearce (turned into Espinal) and depending if you believe reports, Gurriel.

Both sides made out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad