Post-Game Talk: Tues, Sept. 27 | NYI 0 vs PHI 4 | Preseason

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Fun game to be at! Simmonds looked like a beast. Phillipe Myers impressed me the most. Guy looks huge out there.

P.S. Got a ton of love for the Gostisbehere Union Jersey.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Provorov is physically NHL ready. Hes very sturdy. He has a compact build. His play in his own end is very solid. He can do more but a good showing.. I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the team.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You also have to think he's not playing loose offensively. He's being extra conservative. Clean, efficient, defense first, but not flashy. And he can be when he wants. But when you're a heavy favorite for a spot, yet it's still up in the air, you're more afraid to not make big mistakes. Mistakes happen, but they are extra heightened during preseason with a role on the line. Especially as a young d man.

Hopefully the coaches make this clear to him or understand the situation. He's clearly physically ready, mentally ready, and plays an advanced NZ/DZ game.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Was at the game. Provorov looked good, and made a lot of very good plays, one that really impressed me was in the second period, puck was in the corner, and he and his man both went for it, he outmuscled his guy, and established position, and cleared the puck. Looked like a real veteran move. Sanheim will be here before we know it and Myers showed some promise. I also think Lyubimov played well, and I hope he makes the team. He seemed to have some speed that is needed on the 4th line.

Jordan Weal is terrible, so many turnovers tonight.

Thats what I noticed

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I must have been the only one who saw Provorov mistakes tonight. I think he had an ok game. His first period was bad. Multiple turnovers and failed clear attempts on the PK. The second and third he was much better, much more physical. In hindsight maybe we can chalk up the possession troubles to him playing the right side, but it was not A-Mac's fault, to answer an earlier question

I was honed him on him, Sanheim, and Myers, as well as Lyubimov. As mentioned, Sanheim was good, very strong working the point offensively. Myers was good everywhere, more physical then I expected. I thought Lyubimov was great. Physical, fast, talented, defensively responsible. I hope he gets a NHL roster spot and he gets a look in all situations.

Edit: maybe worth noting that I was in attendance, so I wasn't subjected to whatever the cameras were showing.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Provorov always starts on the conservative side. Go back to the WJC WHL playoffs and MC. He just feels the games out until he is comfortable and then steps it up big time. Tonight he wasn't needed to be big game Ivan. He keep it simple and was unnoticeable in a good way. Only sloppy plays I remember was on of the first PKs, think it was Amac maybe. He was short shifted and was weak on the clear outs.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Provorov always starts on the conservative side. Go back to the WJC WHL playoffs and MC. He just feels the games out until he is comfortable and then steps it up big time. Tonight he wasn't needed to be big game Ivan. He keep it simple and was unnoticeable in a good way. Only sloppy plays I remember was on of the first PKs, think it was Amac maybe. He was short shifted and was weak on the clear outs.

Yep that's what I recall. Overall he's very steady. Hopefully we can see some more explosiveness offensively from him before the end of preseason, I think Hex and Haks are waiting for it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I must have been the only one who saw Provorov mistakes tonight. I think he had an ok game. His first period was bad. Multiple turnovers and failed clear attempts on the PK. The second and third he was much better, much more physical. In hindsight maybe we can chalk up the possession troubles to him playing the right side, but it was not A-Mac's fault, to answer an earlier question

I was honed him on him, Sanheim, and Myers, as well as Lyubimov. As mentioned, Sanheim was good, very strong working the point offensively. Myers was good everywhere, more physical then I expected. I thought Lyubimov was great. Physical, fast, talented, defensively responsible. I hope he gets a NHL roster spot and he gets a look in all situations.

Edit: maybe worth noting that I was in attendance, so I wasn't subjected to whatever the cameras were showing.
Provorov was predominately on the left side. He did take a few shifts on the right side when on the PK. I said this in the GDT but I didn't see much juice in his legs tonight. It was a back-to-back but that's what they wanted to see most likely. He was OK. Didn't really impact the game, but held his own.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov was predominately on the left side. He did take a few shifts on the right side when on the PK. I said this in the GDT but I didn't see much juice in his legs tonight. It was a back-to-back but that's what they wanted to see most likely. He was OK. Didn't really impact the game, but held his own.

Yeah he did have heavy legs..which is understandable really..but he still was unable to hold his own because of strength and intelligence.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Reminds me of GGG fighting. Test the guy out in the first round, then do ruinous things to them from then on out.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007

I completely agree with this. You could definitely see that he has insane talent but he definitely made mistakes early in the game. Many times in the 1st he looked uncomfortable with the puck and make some quick plays with the puck that resulted in turnovers or tough plays for the recipient. He looked better throughout the game but it seemed to me like he never really got completely comfortable.

Myers was definitely a presence out there defensively. He was in great position offensively so many times but whiffed on a couple shots.

Sanheim was solid everywhere and made some real nice plays. One time entered the zone with a nice move and set up a solid chance on his own.

All in all it was a fun night to be there. Mason wasn't challenged much but when he was he made some really great stops. Lyubimov was awesome and almost scored a goal in the 3rd. I love the new additions of Wiese and Boyd, and Cousins is such a pest. I love that projected 3rd line.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
young players, especially rookies are going to make mistakes. Even the highly touted ones. Expectations are very high on Provorov. Cant expect the kid to be playing at a high level right out of the gate. As others have said the physical gifts are there. He will be fine.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, now is as good a time as any to begin reminding everyone that rookie dmen will err. And like any developing young player, it's likely there will be slumps.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yep. We should all pump the brakes a bit. Ghost wasnt very good in his first camp and struggled mightily in his first NHL call-up. Its the natural order of things, especially for young defensemen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim was a bit inconsistent until the 3rd, he needs another 10 lbs of muscle to play in the NHL, it seems he wasn't quite ready for the speed at this level, what worked in juniors stalled out here.

Myers was a revelation, you can see why he was +52, he can skate and shoot, but is big and strong, skates well and is responsible defensively. He's ahead of Sanheim right now, which was a shock.

Provorov isn't flashy, and was playing on dead legs, but gets the job done.

All three seemed a bit tentative, which is understandable. I suspect all will stick until the end of preseason, then Provorov will be left on the island. They all looked better than Shultz or McDonald, but give McDonald credit, he really stepped up at the end on the 5 on 3.

Lyubimov will make the team, he has serious jets, a nice shot and isn't afraid of contact, I think Hextall found a guy on the cusp of breaking out. And Weise can skate as well.

Weal is Akeson redux, an AHL star who is a marginal NHL player.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I understand guys saying that Provorov is starting slower etc but shouldn't this be the chance to show his Offensive capability? Especially playing in preseason against a "not so NHL" roster of players?

Does he slot in the top 4 right now?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I understand guys saying that Provorov is starting slower etc but shouldn't this be the chance to show his Offensive capability? Especially playing in preseason against a "not so NHL" roster of players?

Does he slot in the top 4 right now?

He doesn't need to push for offense right now. He is proving to Hextall that he can be very good defensively at the NHL level. That's what Philly needs of him first....defense.

He played 29 minutes the night before. Not surprising that he had heavy legs.

No one knows of he slots into the top 4 yet. Most think he is ready. It's also why we think he was played so much on back to back days....to see how he handles the rigours of the NHL.

IMO, Ghost has created an unrealistic expectation of our young D concerning offense. None will have the impact he did offensively. But Provy could have that type if impact defensively 1st.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm with Tripod, Provorov isn't going to win a job out of camp by scoring goals. Hextall needs the D to play actual D. He needs to be shutting down opponents and not get burned.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He doesn't need to push for offense right now. He is proving to Hextall that he can be very good defensively at the NHL level. That's what Philly needs of him first....defense.

He played 29 minutes the night before. Not surprising that he had heavy legs.

No one knows of he slots into the top 4 yet. Most think he is ready. It's also why we think he was played so much on back to back days....to see how he handles the rigours of the NHL.

IMO, Ghost has created an unrealistic expectation of our young D concerning offense. None will have the impact he did offensively. But Provy could have that type if impact defensively 1st.

Hmmm... all this time I thought he was an Offensive D man...I guess more of a complete player?

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
My big focus on the game was the 3rd line, young d, mdz and lube. My take:

Laughton cousins and Weise looked very good together. Fast, fiesty and effective

Prov looked solid, had some gaffs but it was his second game after playing 28 mins the night before and his first game at WFC this year. Expected out of him.

Sanhiem struggled for a little and really picked it up after that Miele goal. Looked confident and sharp in both ends after he got his legs. Same applied for him. First game at home. Nerves are exceptable

Myers looked amazing. A real gem. He truly looked like he could step in and play pro hockey. Will he need time, sure but boy did he look close last night.

Mdz showed he is definitely ready to take on a larger role and didn't skip a beat with the injury. Really glad to see him come out game one and play that well.

Lube was everything we need on the 4th line. He is fast, strong and very aware of everything around him. Had some offensive ability but looked really good in his own zone. He could be the end of vdv

Oh and mason was on point.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Hmmm... all this time I thought he was an Offensive D man...I guess more of a complete player?

He's always been a two-way guy with an advanced Defensive game but also good offensive skills. The amount of points he has put up in Juniors probably makes people think hes more offensive, but really he's just a very complete defenseman. We need him for the defense he can provide and we expect the offense to follow

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Note that Provorov was on every PK as the first pair except for the one where he was in the box. And he looked fine in that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad