TSN: TSN's Top 10 Leafs Prospects

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I remember reading a Yegor Korshkov interview after the draft and the Leafs told him, there is no rush to bring him over.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
That would be a reasonable explanation... if it were true. But Kapanen has played 17 NHL games while Rychel has played 37. Rychel is the one who is no longer a rookie but he is on the list! (Responding to Canada4gold.)

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Kapanen
Bracco
Are the clear top-2 for me. Both these guys to me are going to be high-end 2nd line/low-end 1st line guys imo.

Interesting to see how Borgman turns out.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nothing against Kristen Shilton because I like her work.

But she has no idea what she is talking about at all.

Clearly she has not seen many of these players even once, and should stick to her job with the big club. Leaving Korshkov off, when he could step in and put up 40 points next year is just something else...

It really is a bad list. The omission of Kapanen is embarrassing, makes you wonder if anyone even edited this piece. And even if you had no idea who any of these guys were, to not include a recent 2nd rounder in Korshkov instead of a guy like Valiev? C'mon. Korshkov is arguably our 2nd best prospect right now...until Friday any way.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I fell in love with dermotts game after watching him in the 2015 camp. Can't wait till he's ready for the big club.

trollmonger

Oct 14, 2016
I assume Kap isn't on the list because he doesn't a rookie eligibility.

From article...

Note: In this instance, prospects on the list are limited to those with 10 or fewer games played with the Maple Leafs.

I'm not sure this criteria makes a lot of sense. 10 games really isn't much. But that's where she chose to draw the line.

With Leipsic, Rychel and the Swede dmen in the top 5, it seems she's put a lot of weight on being almost ready for NHL. But even considering this, Grunstrom has to be a lot higher on this list.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hunter has a strong reputation to find talent and perhaps based on this top 10 prospect ranking his picks (from his 2 drafts) are more sleepers at the moment not yet haven shown their true value.

His picks are not getting the fanfare now mostly lower ranked while trades and UFA signings are near the top, but in a couple years we might see what he saw and we're missing.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs have supplemented their top 10 prospects through trades and UFA signings to strengthen its prospect pool.

Early drafting results not showing the impact expected from Leafs new scouting team. Drafting improvement potential here.

You continue to persist with your endless ignorance.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You continue to persist with your endless ignorance.

What confuses me is the disregard for the identifying and acquiring of said traded for prospects and free agent signings...as if the head scout and AGM is not responsible for those prospects. I imagine getting prospects outside of the traditional draft, and already having two contribute to the club, should warrant some credit. Its a confusing, confusing stance....but so was taking Barzal at #4, so I'm not too surprised.

#peopledon'tforget

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Korshkov should definitely be on the list.

Grundstrom also should be much higher on the list. He's got NHL size, is hard to play against and is a safe bet to become a 3rd liner but has 2nd line upside. I think he should be # 2 on the list.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Sounds about right to me.

I'd probably swap Korshkov with Valiev but overall the list seems fine to me.

AYYYY , this guy knows yeah but i'd bump a few up / Down but this is the list for me as well oh and id take off valiven

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He does though he only has 17 career games. Isn't 25 or something the cutoff

25 in 1 year or 6 or more in multiple years. Kap played more than 6 games both the past 2 years so is not longer considered a rookie.

But yeah apparently that's not it and the article's cutoff is just stupid. 10 of less games with the Leafs. If we sign Shattenkirk does TSN consider him a prospect? Whatever the cutoff it should be relating to time in the league or games regardless of whether they're with the Leafs or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad