TSN: TSN's Top 10 Leafs Prospects

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Korshkov is so underrated. Id take him over everyone on this list not named Dermott.

I'm with you there.

I have Grundstrom there as well.

Korshkov's skill-set/package is very unique in our system. He's going to be a Babcock favourite and a player that I guarantee will be an NHL player.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Leipsic 2nd.... :laugh:

This list is ridiculous... Rychel 3rd, the two random Swedes we signed at 4 and 5...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Show me teams that have multiple non-first round guys who have broken in successfully from the 2015 and 2016 drafts.

This is not a broken in, but prospect pool ranking. Its intended to represent the best not broken in at present.

Leafs are going out and signing previously undrafted "free wallets" and their ending up in Leafs top 5 rankings according to this list here.

They're also trading for players like Leipsic, Rychel and they're also landing in the top 5 (but were drafted by other teams).

Outside of the obvious top 10 picks (Matthews, Marner, Nylander) that have made it to the NHL now, but its not hard to have #1OA make it. But then again they're not prospects in the pool, they're NHLers now.

Leafs building through the draft strategy currently has 4 of their top 5 prospects acquired in trades and UFA signings. With Dermott really the main one showing promise to be knocking on the NHL door.

We need to be finding talent in all rounds of the draft not just top 10 overall picks.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This is not a broken in, but prospect pool ranking. Its intended to represent the best not broken in at present.

Leafs are going out and signing previously undrafted "free wallets" and their ending up in Leafs top 5 rankings according to this list here.

They're also trading for players like Leipsic, Rychel and they're also landing in the top 5 (but were drafted by other teams).

Outside of the obvious top 10 picks (Matthews, Marner, Nylander) that have made it to the NHL now, but its not hard to have #1OA make it. But then again they're not prospects in the pool, they're NHLers now.

Leafs building through the draft strategy currently has 4 of their top 5 prospects acquired in trades and UFA signings. With Dermott really the main one showing promise to be knocking on the NHL door.

We need to be finding talent in all rounds of the draft not just top 10 overall picks.

well the list has valiev on it, who IMO isn't top 10 in the pool. Aaltonen as a WC is a joke we have much better prospects who may be a further away but better than him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
well the list has valiev on it, who IMO isn't top 10 in the pool. Aaltonen as a WC is a joke we have much better prospects who may be a further away but better than him.

Well Valiev is a Leafs own draft pick so that counts for something in terms of scouting and drafting, but every time you go out and sign a Zaitsev, Rosen and Borgman you start pushing these picks further down the prospect pool ranking and further from the NHL.

Valiev now considered #5D in the prospect pool behind, Dermott, Rosen, Borgman, Neilsen all ranked ahead of him. Not sure Leafs have a higher ranked Dman in the system than Valiev.

I suppose Korshkov might the glaring omission one might expect to see on the list that would push Valiev out of the top 10 Leafs prospects.

Aaltonen is another "free wallet" prospect that management feels could be fighting for an NHL job but he would again be pushing other self drafted players lower.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Weird that Kapanen isn't considered a prospect. He would definitely be our #1.

Some nice talent on the list but definitely void of high-end prospects. Hopefully the Leafs continue to draft and build. It will be much needed in 3 - 4 years.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well Valiev is a Leafs own draft pick so that counts for something in terms of scouting and drafting, but every time you go out and sign a Zaitsev, Rosen and Borgman you start pushing these picks further down the prospect pool ranking and further from the NHL.

Valiev now considered #5D in the prospect pool behind, Dermott, Rosen, Borgman, Neilsen all ranked ahead of him. Not sure Leafs have a higher ranked Dman in the system than Valiev.

I suppose Korshkov might the glaring omission one might expect to see on the list that would push Valiev out of the top 10 Leafs prospects.

Aaltonen is another "free wallet" prospect that management feels could be fighting for an NHL job but he would again be pushing other self drafted players lower.

why does it matter so much where they come from? they were still scouted by hunters team of Amateur scouts, will it make you feel better if we assign a round and pick # to them?.

draft and develop doesn't only mean the draft. I guess it should be re labeled draft, sign and develop

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Mark Hunter has done a great job to rebuild our prospect pool. We are seeing those results with Dermott, Grundstrom, Korshkov, Brooks, Neilsen,
Early returns have been excellent as was expected. Terrific work by scouting staff.
A+
No wonder Shanny hired Hunter and fired pathetic moron Nonis and his terrible drafting strategy of picking useless size.
Shanny must be proud of Hunter.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
p.s. Kapanen is a prospect by any definition, and our best one.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
That's to garner reaction from fans because one of them is most likely going to vegas

No, its because they're legitimately our top prospects. They're likely headed towards the NHL while the others are long-shots as much as we like to dream about their potential.

The TSN list made one omission though, and that has to do with our BEST prospect - Kasperi Kapanen. Shameful.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So, Dermott as the number one prospect on the list, plus Bracco, Grundstrom and Nielsen from the two Hunter drafts is not good enough for you? And then there's Marner and, what's his name from Arizona, oh yeah, that Matthews kid?

You have a tendency to twist just about anything so it will fit your sometimes strange narratives.

PS. How many NHLers do you think will emerge from a typical draft year for a team?

We missed on Barzal the next Crosby.

Anyway dont let someone narrative get in the way. We are seeing results so far and Hunter has been amazing. Shanahan agrees:)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Clear Top-2: 1.Kapanen, 2.Dermott

The rest is tough, depending on what you think of the free euro wallets. But all of Johnsson, Rosen, Borgman, Grundstrom, Korshkov, Bracco, Nielsen, Valiev, Leipsic deserve consideration for top-10. Other interesting guys like Brooks, Timashov, Aaltonen, Woll, Lindberg are on the outside looking in for now.

Rychel belongs nowhere near our top-10.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
p.s. Kapanen is a prospect by any definition, and our best one.

Hunter probably wanted Kapanen too. Not only is Hunter been excellent in drafting he also is doing a great job of idetifying players in trades and how interesting Kappy looks like a stud. Looks like we are seeing results from Hunter and the scouting staff and knows what they are doing. Too bad one person doesnt like facts.
Hunter your a beauty.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean Rychel most likely goes on waivers this fall. Considering him a top prospect is really silly.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Nothing against Kristen Shilton because I like her work.

But she has no idea what she is talking about at all.

Clearly she has not seen many of these players even once, and should stick to her job with the big club. Leaving Korshkov off, when he could step in and put up 40 points next year is just something else...

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
I'm with you there.

I have Grundstrom there as well.

Korshkov's skill-set/package is very unique in our system. He's going to be a Babcock favourite and a player that I guarantee will be an NHL player.

I don't think Korshkov is signed to a contract yet is he? If he isn't would we still consider him a prospect?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nothing against Kristen Shilton because I like her work.

But she has no idea what she is talking about at all.

Clearly she has not seen many of these players even once, and should stick to her job with the big club. Leaving Korshkov off, when he could step in and put up 40 points next year is just something else...

this. Is it surprising all players there either played for the marlies this season or is a freshly signe FA? she has no idea how JNR players are doing and other in Europe.

Its not a top prospect list its a list of players in the leafs org close to making it to the NHL

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't think Korshkov is signed to a contract yet is he? If he isn't would we still consider him a prospect?

absolutely he is we have his rights for 4 years (I think its 4) before we HAVE to sign him but it wont get to that point

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
absolutely he is we have his rights for 4 years (I think its 4) before we HAVE to sign him but it wont get to that point

I am sure the same thing was said about Jimmy Vessey? Maybe not the exact same scenario but it is similar in aspect. No?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I am sure the same thing was said about Jimmy Vessey? Maybe not the exact same scenario but it is similar in aspect. No?

and Vesey was Nashville property right up until he became UFA, during that time he was still on Nashiville top prospect lists

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad