TSN: TSN Trade bait list- Are we kicking tyres? Should we be kicking Tyres?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Karlsson as selfish, funniest thing I read this week.
That's why he led the NHL in assists 2 years ago, first dman since Orr, but leading the league in assists is selfish I guess.

A false equivalency does not equate a sound foundation for your debate. Since when are assists the measurement for selfishness? :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Its funny how so many young players with 'no toolboxes' who have gotten dumped by the leafs over the years for nothing became stars as soon as they left...

It is kind of funny, when you look at it from a distance years later. At the time though, it was just ugly.

Karlsson as selfish, funniest thing I read this week.
That's why he led the NHL in assists 2 years ago, first dman since Orr, but leading the league in assists is selfish I guess.

Yeah when people resort to derogatory terms, they're usually not making a lot of sense and I can only suspect that there's some other agenda that's driving things. Some people hung the "selfish" tag on Kadri too a while back, I would never do that to a player who plays his butt off and sacrifices his body for the good of the team night after night and I'd take Kadri and/or Karlsson on my team any day. I also don't follow closely what other can bases think but I doubt very much that Ottawa fans on a whole think Karlsson is a selfish player, my impression is that they think he's pretty awesome.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can't see Leafs making a trade splash for any one year rental. Next year there are "lots" of better UFA Dmen available, so that would seem to be the more logical route to go.
Leafs still have about 10m to spend on in non Leafs players. Maybe there is deal to make with some team who wants to dump some cap.
But realistically the Leafs are still in a big development year with likely Johnson Grundstrom, Kapanen, Aaltonen, Dermot, Borgman, Sparks getting their first opportunity at big NHL minutes, and maybe Nylander switching t0 centre.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can't see Leafs making a trade splash for any one year rental. Next year there are "lots" of better UFA Dmen available, so that would seem to be the more logical route to go.
Leafs still have about 10m to spend on in non Leafs players. Maybe there is deal to make with some team who wants to dump some cap.
But realistically the Leafs are still in a big development year with likely Johnson Grundstrom, Kapanen, Aaltonen, Dermot, Borgman, Sparks getting their first opportunity at big NHL minutes, and maybe Nylander switching t0 centre.

We need to wait until July 1st to see how the Leafs plan to replace their UFAs. If they are not active on July first I agree with your post. Right now I would bet the other way.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Schneider didn't want to play for Toronto, and as a result the management was stuck in a somewhat bad situation. I mean, for what it's worth, they turned around and traded Karpovtsev for Bryan McCabe, and although he wasn't a #1 defenceman and the Jake Gardiner of his time, he was still a decent D-man. I was more pissed at Schneider and his "I want out!" bull**** at the time.

I thought the reason he wanted to leave was because the Leafs were being cheap (what a surprise) and wouldn't qualify him for the amount he wanted? But yes, completely forgot about Karpovtsev for McCabe. The problem with McCabe is that Quinn rode him too hard. In hindsight, he should of played a consistent 16-18 mins a night plus #1 PP duties. Would of covered up alot of his braincramps and bad penalties. Problem was that there was no one better who could be our top D-man, so I get why he was put in that role. McCabe may have been questionable for an everyday Number #1 D-Man, Kaberle; on the other hand, was definitely a Number #2 D-Man. With the amount of mins he logged, he rarely made a mistake...or took a penalty!... I miss Kabs :(

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Here are some players Toronto threw away. Rask, Courtnall, Smith, Sullivan, Scott Niedermayer, Luongo, L Murphy(won Stanley), Stralman( won Stanley) and the pick that landed Couture. I expect Dubas to make the obligatory trade very soon. By the way wasn't that Kessel trade good? Especially the part where we pay part of his salary.

Not going to complain about Kessel. $1.2 million is a drop in the bucket. And we ended up with Anderson and 2 way properly developed Kapanen ascending at the right age at the right time while 8 mil a year Kessel is going to steadily decline. Face it, keeping Kessel at that cap hit wasn't going to win us the cup the last 2 years, and certainly not going forwards.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You can add trading away Mathieu Schneider for Alexander Karpovtsev to that list. Karpovtsev was a great shot blocker, but nothing else. In a few more seasons, Schneider ended up turning into a very good #2 to #3 D-Man for both LA and Detroit. A D-man we could of definitely used on our blueline during those cup run years.

Also, that 2007 2nd round pick that JFJ traded to Phoenix for Yanic Perrault was ultimately parlayed into Roman Josi. It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?... ;)

Schneider didn't want to be in Toronto and deliberately played his way off the team. Besides, I brought up bad trades of youngsters deliberately, not old guys. As for Perreault, like Sullivan, he never should have been gotten rid of in the first place. A young player scores 4 goals in a game for you, you don't dump at the drop of a hat.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Here are some players Toronto threw away. Rask, Courtnall, Smith, Sullivan, Scott Niedermayer, Luongo, L Murphy(won Stanley), Stralman( won Stanley) and the pick that landed Couture. I expect Dubas to make the obligatory trade very soon. By the way wasn't that Kessel trade good? Especially the part where we pay part of his salary.

the bolded underlined
what Cup did Stalman win?
also. Stalman didn't pick up his game until like two teams after the leafs.

the bolded
the Leafs never had Nidermayer, Luongo and Couture.
thus they never "threw them away."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad