TSN: TSN Trade bait list- Are we kicking tyres? Should we be kicking Tyres?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think most of them are there as "Give me all the assets and he's yours". Subban, Karlsson and OEL are not going to be easy or even remotely possible to acquire at this time. Subban would be fantastic since he's signed long-term and produces franchise-esque numbers. I don't have much interest in Karlsson and OEL due to their contracts.

If I were the Leafs, I'd be all over Hamilton or Trouba if possible.

Faulk and Tanev have been attached to us for a bit now in the rumour mill. Both would be good upgrades.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I see very few fits and none are particularly good. Either they don't provide what we need or the cost to acquire would be prohibitive.

Not only that, I think any deals we make this summer will be of the non sexy, nibble around the edges type.

Nothing to see here. Moving on.

Reactions: iSophagus

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
I think most of them are there as "Give me all the assets and he's yours". Subban, Karlsson and OEL are not going to be easy or even remotely possible to acquire at this time. Subban would be fantastic since he's signed long-term and produces franchise-esque numbers. I don't have much interest in Karlsson and OEL due to their contracts.

Faulk and Tanev have been attached to us for a bit now in the rumour mill. Both would be good upgrades.

Karlsson ad OEL are strange ones because you have to factor in whether you can resign, will definitely drop their cost compared to Subban,

Personally, i would try hard for Subban, his contract is actually great compared to what we'd shell out for OEL, EK, Doughty and he is a legit franchise D.

Hamilton and Trouba are of course more realistic targets for us but part of me thinks Subban is definitely a guy that could change our whole team dynamic.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Subban can't play defence and is prone to moments of super hero delusions. I wouldn't offer the towel boy for Subban.

Not directed at you SprDaVE - As far as the trade rumors, Leaf fans have to get out of the "we can trade our way into a championship" thought process because its a quick fix. Folks I realize 2 years is a long rebuild (sarcasm) but we have to be patient and wait for our prospects to develop. Dubas has said the answers we need are on the farm, Shanny has said we need to be patient, Babcock has said this will be painful, all hints that this rebuild is a long game, chances are guys like Gardiner, Brown, Hyman, ect may not be on this team when we win (if we win) a championship.

We've seen this year just how hard it is to win a championship, teams who have had special years like like Nashville, Winnipeg, Tampa, Boston don't even get to the SCF and the Cinderella team LV is on the brink of elimination, it tells us that a good team like Toronto has A LOT of work to do if they want to get anywhere near a SCF. Obviously anything can happen but IMO we are not a year or 2 away from being that really dominant team, we are 3 to 5 years away. I just hope our management does not do what they have always done in the past, think we are really close, get impatient, trade away a bunch of prospects/picks for suspect talent (Raycroft, Nolan, ect) and continue the historical cycle of stupid that runs through the halls of MLSE.

I like Trouba, Hamilton, Faulk, Tanev but not at the cost of overpaying with our prospects/picks and isn't that the usual MO of GM's, rob the other guy blind? No thanks to big ticket trades.

Reactions: OddyOh and IBeL34f

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A larger than life type like PK would change the entire dynamic of the room. Contract aside, skill aside, not sure PK is a fit with what we have here. Pass . Karlsson to me is a nightmare in the making, I see declining asset and big time regret. OEL I’d have serious interest.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
A larger than life type like PK would change the entire dynamic of the room. Contract aside, skill aside, not sure PK is a fit with what we have here. Pass . Karlsson to me is a nightmare in the making, I see declining asset and big time regret. OEL I’d have serious interest.

Yep agree with you on Subban and Karlson, they are both super stars that drive their coaches mad when they have to play in their own end.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Subban can't play defence and is prone to moments of super hero delusions. I wouldn't offer the towel boy for Subban.

Not directed at you SprDaVE - As far as the trade rumors, Leaf fans have to get out of the "we can trade our way into a championship" thought process because its a quick fix. Folks I realize 2 years is a long rebuild (sarcasm) but we have to be patient and wait for our prospects to develop. Dubas has said the answers we need are on the farm, Shanny has said we need to be patient, Babcock has said this will be painful, all hints that this rebuild is a long game, chances are guys like Gardiner, Brown, Hyman, ect may not be on this team when we win (if we win) a championship.

We've seen this year just how hard it is to win a championship, teams who have had special years like like Nashville, Winnipeg, Tampa, Boston don't even get to the SCF and the Cinderella team LV is on the brink of elimination, it tells us that a good team like Toronto has A LOT of work to do if they want to get anywhere near a SCF. Obviously anything can happen but IMO we are not a year or 2 away from being that really dominant team, we are 3 to 5 years away. I just hope our management does not do what they have always done in the past, think we are really close, get impatient, trade away a bunch of prospects/picks for suspect talent (Raycroft, Nolan, ect) and continue the historical cycle of stupid that runs through the halls of MLSE.

I like Trouba, Hamilton, Faulk, Tanev but not at the cost of overpaying with our prospects/picks and isn't that the usual MO of GM's, rob the other guy blind? No thanks to big ticket trades.

yes. some of the answers are on the marlies.
but that doesn't mean all of them are.
it also doesn't mean every single trade is going to be bad.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

Thanks for the laugh

maybe 10 years go in 2008

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I too was surprised to see Subban on the list.

Give me Subban or Karlsson any day of the week. Outside of Matthews and Marner, I'd be willing to listen. I'd absolutely love to see a talent like that patrolling the blue line.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
yes. some of the answers are on the marlies.
but that doesn't mean all of them are.
it also doesn't mean every single trade is going to be bad.

True. Some fans don't realize that you can make a trade without selling the farm. BTW, other than Lily, I don't see any Blue chip prospects in the system that I would be afraid to move.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

You are not getting that quality of dman for prospect/picks. Unless they are a cap dump be prepared to include a player or two off the Leafs roster.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
LOL. Former Norris trophy winner, member of Team Canada. But he can't play for us, oooookay then.

Gary I don't want to turn this into a Subban debate but winning a popularity contest award is not an indication of a players defensive skill. Before you chose to make a glib and uneducated response again you may want to look at Subban's deployment and QoC that year. He won the Norris based on his offence not defence, with that said take a look at how many points he scored on the PP that year. Him winning the Norris that year due to his PP dominance is akin to JVR winning the Hart due to his PP prowess this year. Ya may also want to check who was in the press box the year he made the 2014 Olympic Team, BTW he was in the press box for every game but one for the very reason I said, he can't play defence.

The reasons why I don't like Jake's or Karlson's game are the very same reasons why I don't like Subban's game, unpredictable, inconsistent, selfish.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gary I don't want to turn this into a Subban debate but winning a popularity contest award is not an indication of a players defensive skill. Before you chose to make a glib and uneducated response again you may want to look at Subban's deployment and QoC that year. He won the Norris based on his offence not defence, with that said take a look at how many points he scored on the PP that year. Him winning the Norris that year due to his PP dominance is akin to JVR winning the Hart due to his PP prowess this year. Ya may also want to check who was in the press box the year he made the 2014 Olympic Team, BTW he was in the press box for every game but one for the very reason I said, he can't play defence.

The reasons why I don't like Jake's or Karlson's game are the very same reasons why I don't like Subban's game, unpredictable, inconsistent, selfish.

So the Norris is given out based on popularity? And Team Canada is picked based on popularity? You say you wouldn't offer the towel boy for Subban and are calling me glib and uneducated? Time to sleep it off dude. :laugh::laugh:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't understand why Buffalo would trade O'Rielly?

Not happy there and maybe they need a new mix of players:

Ryan O’Reilly was unable to hide his dejection as he acknowledged that the Sabres’ latest last-place finish led him to question his love for hockey.
If that wasn’t enough, the high-priced centre accused the Sabres of adopting a mindset of “being OK with losing.”
“It’s crept into all of our games. Yeah, it’s disappointing. It’s sad,” O’Reilly said Monday, two days after Buffalo closed one of its worst seasons in franchise history. “I feel throughout the year I’ve lost the love of the game multiple times, and just need to get back to it because it’s eating myself up, and eats the other guys up, too.”
Losing is all O’Reilly knows in the three seasons since being acquired in a trade with Colorado, after which the Sabres signed him to a seven-year, $52.5 million contract extension.

“We have to evaluate everything, coaching staff, the players. What are they willing to change?” Housley said. “There comes a point in your career where you have to realize what’s important. Obviously, winning, what it takes to win, the commitment to win in this league. And that’s what we talk about change.”
Ryan O'Reilly: Sabres adopted mindset of 'being OK with losing' - Sportsnet.ca

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I have to agree, PK just might be a negative influence on our youth. Karlsson will end up being a nightmare too! Sure, his offense is really good at times, however, he can be extremely weak on D at the wrong times. If we fans can't handle the weak D provided by Gardiner, then, we will definitely not like Karlsson's D, especially at double the salary!

For me it's OEL or no one!

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Tyres?

Bate?!

Oi mate, you got a loicense?

Subban is a great player and I thought he wasn't on the block but if he is...why?

A player is traded once big deal, anyone can be traded, doesn't really raise questions, but a superstar is traded twice in a few years? That has some smell to it.

He would be almost to a T what we need, but I want to know what's at the bottom of this first.

I don't think Karlsson is declining yet, but he will need probably at least ten million to keep after next year.

OEL same but eight, seems younger but only a draft year behind, shoots left but would be our best guy there and would easily let us move Jake.

I kick tyres on all three, but it's going to cost a lot. Preds would surely ask for Nylander or Marner plus back because of the years, sens and Arizona aren't that stupid, but still need a good futures heavy asset package, say goodbye to any 4 or 5 of the '19 1st and 2nd, '20 1st, Kapanen, Liljegren, Johnsson, Grundstrom and Dermott.

Provided not too much was lost, any would make the team much better.

If he was guaranteed to sign, I would probably do OEL for the 2019 first and second, Grundstrom and Dermott. Ottawa in the division makes me iffy and good as Subban is, there's some questions I need answered and I'm extremely hesitant to offer Mitch or Willy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->