TSN: TSN Trade bait list- Are we kicking tyres? Should we be kicking Tyres?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That deal wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it seems to me you've forgotten how ABSOLUTE **** Modin was here in Toronto. There's the prime definition of a guy with all the tools and no toolbox...

True, Modin probably wasn't the best example to make his point. It's still a valid point though.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
With development complete; I am expecting our d-core to look like this in a year or two from now

Rielly XXX
Dermott Liljegren
Rosen Zaitsev
Marlie Graduate

we just need another top4 D-man to play with Rielly

and I hope we continue to draft well in all positions

At present Defense and Center depth is missing for us and we have to look at those positions this draft

P.S. I still have hope for Marincin to be a servicable 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing d-man

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'd be dangling quite a few futures to try and reel in a defenseman. Nothing major like Liljegren or Dermott. But I'd be more than okay offering up our 1st this year, plus a couple more picks and prospects like Bracco, Sparks, or Pickard.

A package like this wouldn't bring home a top pairing D, but it could at the very least bring back a solid top four guy.

Reactions: MatthewNylander

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Dubas needs to make a name for himself so hopefully he makes a big splash and aquires one of them. Going into next season with Tavares and one of either subban or Karlsson would be nice!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Dubas needs to make a name for himself so hopefully he makes a big splash and aquires one of them. Going into next season with Tavares and one of either subban or Karlsson would be nice!
Success would likely do a better job of that than a splashy trade. Though, if Dubas is simply going around trying to make a name for himself, I have much less confidence in the hire than I initially did - Let's hope what he really feels he needs is to perform well at his new job.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Don't have the depth to make a huge trade like that without creating another hole IMO

It’s true, the Leafs can maybe afford to trade a 1st + one of Kapanen/Brown, but if anything the team would likely be better off bringing in more futures than getting rid of the ones they have. The big three on the team also aren’t even in their primes yet, which makes spending many assets on a big trade even more suspect. Time is on the Leafs side here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Also since it’s part of the discussion.

Subban would be an amazing piece to have on the team. But the cost to get him would be self-defeating.

HC7

May 2, 2018
If Tavares committed to the Leafs at a reasonable cap hit I'm calling up Ottawa to see what Karlsson would want for an extension. That's the only way I'd let Nylander go.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He was originally traded for another #1 D man. So the price starts with an asset like Nylander/Marner/Rielly and then the Leafs start to add more.

Though obviously this is speculation

no i mean. i don't think he'll be an amazing piece for this team.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That deal wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it seems to me you've forgotten how ABSOLUTE **** Modin was here in Toronto. There's the prime definition of a guy with all the tools and no toolbox...

Its funny how so many young players with 'no toolboxes' who have gotten dumped by the leafs over the years for nothing became stars as soon as they left...

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Its funny how so many young players with 'no toolboxes' who have gotten dumped by the leafs over the years for nothing became stars as soon as they left...
Yeah, an amazing three years of absolutely nothing (unless you want to count 38 goals in 217 games as something). AND he spent one of those three years riding shotgun for the always underrated Mats Sundin, who managed to get 30 goals out of JONAS HOGLUND. Then he went to Tampa, had ONE 30 goal season and everyone went nuts. I mean, it only took him what? 6 years to do it again, with a close call in year 4, and years between that that looked a whole hell of a lot like the ones he had here in Toronto. And then, a 22 goal season for Columbus and absolutely zip after that. Quite the star...

I don't know about you, but much better examples from this period in Leafs history are Steve Sullivan (Pat Quinn: HE'S TOO SHORT! So let's replace him with 5'8" Dmitri Khristich, who was absolute garbage in Toronto, and watch Sullivan have multiple 30 goal seasons with Chicago, But hey, he was short...) and Jason Smith (how many years was he captain in Edmonton after the Leafs traded him for a whole second round pick?). Modin is actually one of the worst examples from that period of time. Not to mention the JFJ-Fletcher-Burke era gives examples of this that make Quinn's bonehead calls look like genius...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Gary I don't want to turn this into a Subban debate but winning a popularity contest award is not an indication of a players defensive skill. Before you chose to make a glib and uneducated response again you may want to look at Subban's deployment and QoC that year. He won the Norris based on his offence not defence, with that said take a look at how many points he scored on the PP that year. Him winning the Norris that year due to his PP dominance is akin to JVR winning the Hart due to his PP prowess this year. Ya may also want to check who was in the press box the year he made the 2014 Olympic Team, BTW he was in the press box for every game but one for the very reason I said, he can't play defence.

The reasons why I don't like Jake's or Karlson's game are the very same reasons why I don't like Subban's game, unpredictable, inconsistent, selfish.

Karlsson as selfish, funniest thing I read this week.
That's why he led the NHL in assists 2 years ago, first dman since Orr, but leading the league in assists is selfish I guess.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, an amazing three years of absolutely nothing (unless you want to count 38 goals in 217 games as something). AND he spent one of those three years riding shotgun for the always underrated Mats Sundin, who managed to get 30 goals out of JONAS HOGLUND. Then he went to Tampa, had ONE 30 goal season and everyone went nuts. I mean, it only took him what? 6 years to do it again, with a close call in year 4, and years between that that looked a whole hell of a lot like the ones he had here in Toronto. And then, a 22 goal season for Columbus and absolutely zip after that. Quite the star...

I don't know about you, but much better examples from this period in Leafs history are Steve Sullivan (Pat Quinn: HE'S TOO SHORT! So let's replace him with 5'8" Dmitri Khristich, who was absolute garbage in Toronto, and watch Sullivan have multiple 30 goal seasons with Chicago, But hey, he was short...) and Jason Smith (how many years was he captain in Edmonton after the Leafs traded him for a whole second round pick?). Modin is actually one of the worst examples from that period of time. Not to mention the JFJ-Fletcher-Burke era gives examples of this that make Quinn's bonehead calls look like genius...

Many people here consider JvR a star and are bemoaning that his offence can't be replaced. Guess how many more seasons JvR has scored 29 goals or more over his 6 years with Toronto than Modin in his 6 with Tampa? ZERO. JvRs stats are only *slightly* better with Toronto than Modin's were with Tampa. Don't believe me? Look it up. FYI, the only team Hoglund ever scored 30+ goals with was Karlstad. He never hit that number with Leafs (made it to 29 once). While I agree Sullivan might be a better example, you might work on your own comparisons.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I have no interest in Erik Karlsson joining the Leafs. The price would be too high. The contract would be too much. Subtraction by addition. Pass.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Many people here consider JvR a star and are bemoaning that his offence can't be replaced. Guess how many more seasons JvR has scored 29 goals or more over his 6 years with Toronto than Modin in his 6 with Tampa? ZERO. JvRs stats are only *slightly* better with Toronto than Modin's were with Tampa.

Not slightly better, A LOT better. I'm not the biggest JVR fan, but the fact is he consistently hits 27-30 goals if he's healthy. Even in Tampa, Modin was never that consistent. The only years JVR didn't hit that mark were 2015-16 (he was injuried and missed a bunch of games), and of course 2012-13 (the lockout season; I notice you conveniently left out that you were including this one in your "6 year" comparison). OTOH, Modin always played at least 75 games with Tampa, barring one year in which he only played 50. The difference here? JVR needed to miss games to miss the 20 goal mark; Modin would do it in a healthy season again and again. Guy's a career 15-17 goal scorer who spiked to 30 every 3-5 years, that's it.

And the whole Hoglund goal thing is being pedantic, but whatever. The point still stands; Sundin would make terrible players look good, and he couldn't do it with Modin.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Here are some players Toronto threw away. Rask, Courtnall, Smith, Sullivan, Scott Niedermayer, Luongo, L Murphy(won Stanley), Stralman( won Stanley) and the pick that landed Couture. I expect Dubas to make the obligatory trade very soon. By the way wasn't that Kessel trade good? Especially the part where we pay part of his salary.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Here are some players Toronto threw away. Rask, Courtnall, Smith, Sullivan, Scott Niedermayer, Luongo, L Murphy(won Stanley), Stralman( won Stanley) and the pick that landed Couture. I expect Dubas to make the obligatory trade very soon. By the way wasn't that Kessel trade good? Especially the part where we pay part of his salary.

You can add trading away Mathieu Schneider for Alexander Karpovtsev to that list. Karpovtsev was a great shot blocker, but nothing else. In a few more seasons, Schneider ended up turning into a very good #2 to #3 D-Man for both LA and Detroit. A D-man we could of definitely used on our blueline during those cup run years.

Also, that 2007 2nd round pick that JFJ traded to Phoenix for Yanic Perrault was ultimately parlayed into Roman Josi. It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?... ;)

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
You can add trading away Mathieu Schneider for Alexander Karpovtsev to that list. Karpovtsev was a great shot blocker, but nothing else. In a few more seasons, Schneider ended up turning into a very good #2 to #3 D-Man for both LA and Detroit. A D-man we could of definitely used on our blueline during those cup run years.

Also, that 2007 2nd round pick that JFJ traded to Phoenix for Yanic Perrault was ultimately parlayed into Roman Josi. It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?... ;)
Schneider didn't want to play for Toronto, and as a result the management was stuck in a somewhat bad situation. I mean, for what it's worth, they turned around and traded Karpovtsev for Bryan McCabe, and although he wasn't a #1 defenceman and the Jake Gardiner of his time, he was still a decent D-man. I was more pissed at Schneider and his "I want out!" bullshit at the time.

Niedermayer wasn't thrown away; the pick used to draft him was traded away in one of the stupidest deals in NHL history. I mean... Tom Kurvers? Really? And you really, really needed him to try for the playoffs in 1990? Same with Luongo; they traded the pick, not him. Of course, the real question with THAT deal was... Did we really need to bring Wendel back?

And Stralman didn't turn into the defenseman he is today for at least 5 years after the Leafs traded him, so I don't know how "stupid" it was. Wayne Primeau as the main piece coming back? Now THAT was stupid.

And you forgot about Alex Steen and Carlo Coliacovo. If any deal still pisses me off to this day, it's THAT one. f***ing Lee Stempniak?

But you can really play this game with any franchise. Look at the trading history of Lou's new team, the New York Islanders...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad