TSN ranks the top 25 NHL players of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Now it’s: “Domi gives it to Gallagher, and he misses the net!”..

...A Montreal fan stuck on a time machine, how surprising!
LOL I clearly understand why you don't want to do the same since your team just sucked so much back then (before Mario was drafted). Haters gonna hate. :laugh:

By the way, your example is dumb since Domi and Gallagher are having a very good productive season so far. ;)

Last edited:

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
These lists always make me cringe. We hold really old players in high regard but even in their prime they wouldn’t be that great in today’s 31 team league. I say make an all time list for pre expansion (original 6) and maybe even divvy it up for pre 1990s and post 90s. Totally different eras and skill sets. I’d take a prime Hasek or Roy over Tony Esposito or Glen Hall. And I’d take a prime Crosby over prime Dionne easily.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But in this case the Canadian actually deserves to be ranked higher, if only by a few spots.

I see Crosby and Ovie as sort of a Gretzky and Lemieux type situation.

I can see arguments both ways even if one guy is traditionally ranked higher.

Hasek could easily be top 10 IMO and not sitting behind 4 Canadian goalies.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
These lists always make me cringe. We hold really old players in high regard but even in their prime they wouldn’t be that great in today’s 31 team league. I say make an all time list for pre expansion (original 6) and maybe even divvy it up for pre 1990s and post 90s. Totally different eras and skill sets. I’d take a prime Hasek or Roy over Tony Esposito or Glen Hall. And I’d take a prime Crosby over prime Dionne easily.

Exactly, completely different game from start to now. Who can't admit that?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I think Ovie should be close to Crosby, Jagr and Hasek should be higher.

Overall it’s not terrible though - it is less about omissions and more about the rankings which is tough.

The article is from Dec 2017.

I wonder if Ovie’s Cup would change things.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
LOL I clearly understand why you don't want to do the same since your team just sucked so much back then (before Mario was drafted). Haters gonna hate. :laugh:

By the way, your example is dumb since Domi and Gallagher are having a very good productive season so far. ;)

I’m not specifically talking about this season, more like the last 25.

Id be willing to do an avatar bet with you that Montreal is gonna miss the playoffs (again) this season.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
I’m not specifically talking about this season, more like the last 25.

Id be willing to do an avatar bet with you that Montreal is gonna miss the playoffs (again) this season.
Hey, I won't get too cocky if I was you, your team nearly moved to Kansas City, a situation that Montreal will never have to deal with.

What saved your team to move was the Crosby sweepstake in 2005, your recent success is based more on luck than anything else. Just imagine if Montreal was the team who won the Crosby lottery. I can't wait to see how your team will do when Crosby (and Malkin) will retire.

One day, Montreal will be a dominant team again and your team will fall back to mediocrity (and will probably move too). And I will be the first one to laugh at you when it will happen. :laugh:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

The playing field is not competitive due to technology and evolution. Hence why players of a past era should rightly be compared against their peers and not across various generations.

I mean, was Napoleon Bonaparte a terrible general because his army would get destroyed by even low level modern forces? No. Same idea.

Loner

Dec 29, 2008
Montreal
Richard was the first to score 50 goals in 50 games, in a 50 games season. It took 16 years for the league to have another 50 goals scorer with Bernie Geoffrion. In 66 Bobby Hull score 50 goals but in a 70 games season. More than 35 years after Richard, Mike Bossy was the second to score 50 in 50, which is an incredible achievement, then Gretzky achieve this 3 times, the first time with 50 goals in 39 games. Richard is also the first 500 goals scorer of the league and have many Stanley cup and achievements, definitly a top 10 player in the history of the league.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Richard was the first to score 50 goals in 50 games, in a 50 games season. It took 16 years for the league to have another 50 goals scorer with Bernie Geoffrion. In 66 Bobby Hull score 50 goals but in a 70 games season. More than 35 years after Richard, Mike Bossy was the second to score 50 in 50, which is an incredible achievement, then Gretzky achieve this 3 times, the first time with 50 goals in 39 games. Richard is also the first 500 goals scorer of the league and have many Stanley cup and achievements, definitly a top 10 player in the history of the league.
Richard's 50 in 50 took place in a league that was seriously diluted by WW2. Talent level was probably at the lowest it ever was.

Loner

Dec 29, 2008
Montreal
Richard's 50 in 50 took place in a league that was seriously diluted by WW2. Talent level was probably at the lowest it ever was.

Yes talent was diluted but the best goal scorer after him, was at 32, all others below 30. Richard also did 45 in 60 games 2 years later.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I’m Canadian.

In what universe is Hasek the 5th best goalie of all time?

Brodeur
Hasek
Plante
Roy
Sawchuk

Literally any of these goalies can be considered the greatest, and any of these guys can be considered the 5th greatest. None of these guys are clearly better than the other 4.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Hey, I won't get too cocky if I was you, your team nearly moved to Kansas City, a situation that Montreal will never have to deal with.

What saved your team to move was the Crosby sweepstake in 2005, your recent success is based more on luck than anything else. Just imagine if Montreal was the team who won the Crosby lottery. I can't wait to see how your team will do when Crosby (and Malkin) will retire.

One day, Montreal will be a dominant team again and your team will fall back to mediocrity (and will probably move too). And I will be the first one to laugh at you when it will happen. :laugh:

Montréal has been a complete failure ever since the Lafleur years. Sadly for you, Pittsburgh is the team that has won the most cups since 1990. Hard pill to swallow, but here it is.

Youre the typical O6 team fan who is stuck in the past because they were winning cups in a 6-team league. Even if Pittsburgh will suck in a couple of years, Montreal ain’t being a cup contender anytime soon.

Reactions: berlin

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
How is Patrick Roy not higher? He changed the game almost as much as Gretzky and Orr, at his respective position. Goalies just didn't look or play like him, and an entire generation based their styles off his. Roy's numbers in the late 80s were in another dimension compared to his peers, and he's arguably the greatest playoff performer in league history. Roy, for me, is easily Top 10, though I think it's just easier to separate goalies into their own list. Also: Sakic should be on this list - he's very close to Messier and Crosby, all things considered. Jagr needs to be higher too - definitely ahead of Ovi and maybe ahead of Messier and Crosby as well. And I say that as someone who idolized Messier. Bourque should be higher, with Lidstrom on the list too. Brett Hull > Bobby Hull.

I also have Mario ahead of Howe, but it's whatever. Any combo of Orr/Howe/Mario after Gretzky is fine by me.

Decent list though. It's all subjective.

Agree with you on Patrick Roy.

In addition to what you mentioned - his superb individual stats, and him revolutionizing the way the position is played - the guy had three Conn Smythe Trophies (NHL record), and the only player to have won the award with two different teams (which I doubt ever happens again).

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
These lists always make me cringe. We hold really old players in high regard but even in their prime they wouldn’t be that great in today’s 31 team league.

One way to make it look less gringy:

Current player do not make old Crosby/Malkin/OV look bad.

Younger more explosive version of them didn't make Jagr look bad at all when they arrived in the league.

Jagr was not that much better than Sakic/Yzerman and worst than Gretzky/Lemieux when they played at the same time.

Yzerman didn't made team Canada in 1991 and didn't make Trottier look bad at all, Trottier didn't made Lafleur look bad, Lafleur didn't made Esposito/Orr look bad when he entered the league, Esposito didn't made Beliveau/Howe look bad and they didn't made Richard look bad and so on, Jagr was pretty much the best in 94-95 and was still pretty mcuh the best in 05-06, Bourque could still help a team win the Cup and be an all star in 2001, he was not winning the Norris easily when he was much better in the early 80s against the supposed much worst competition.

By 2001 he played with the same stick/skate/knowledge/training session that the new players and never looked out of place, same for Patrick Roy he was arguably the best with Hasek when he retired, he didn't became a more talented and more worthy of praise player in the 90s/early 2000 versus the 80s that not why is save percentage when up, he got worst with age, with better pads.

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017

[mod]

As a fan of the greatest team in the salary cap era I understand why you’re so bitter. You don’t real have anything to look forward to. (Unless you’re one of the Montreal fans who pretends Price is a good goalie LOLOLOL)

Not sure why you’re under the impression Montreal will somehow be a good team any time soon. They are almost as poorly ran as the oilers.

Even if the Pens become mediocre after the Crosby / Malkin era I’m still confident that the Pens being mediocre is better than the **** show in Montreal

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad