TSN ranks the top 25 NHL players of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's nice to cherry pick one year at the end of his career but I'm thinking more about the numerous years before that where he really made a name for himself.

Let's take 84-85: Gretzky had 208 points. Most points by a player in 17-18? 108

100 point scorers in 84-85? 16. 100 point scorers in 17-18? 3.
My point is that Gretzky still put up points in eras where goal scoring was down. He put up 90 points the following season.

But sure, let's look at 1984-85. Do you know how many 200 point scorers there were in 84-85? One.

As you mention Gretzky had 208 points. The next nearest player was Jarri Kurri with 135. Hawerchuk with 130. Marcel Dionne with 126. He had 73 more points than the next closest guy. Compared to his peers that's how much better Gretzky was.

If it makes you feel better let's eliminate all of Gretzky's goals. Pretend he never scored one in his entire career. Do you know who the all-time NHL points leader would be?

(Hint: It rhymes with Bayne Betzky)

You set the bar high for insane statements by claiming Gibson is better than Roy, but then you managed to surpass it with your comments about Gretzky.

Kudos. :clap:

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
only 2 forwards on this list has less than a PPG career.

Both Habs from stacked teams that had the exclusive rights to pretty much any player they wanted in existence.

Hmmmmmm I wonder if a Habs fan made this list??

If your not familiar with scoring in the 20-30s maybe dont try to use it as an argument, no to mention your gibberish about the habs having “exclusive rights to pretty much any player they wanted in existence “

Educate yourself
https://thehockeywriters.com/habs-french-canadian-rule/

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
My point is that Gretzky still put up points in eras where goal scoring was down. He put up 90 points the following season.

But sure, let's look at 1984-85. Do you know how many 200 point scorers there were in 84-85? One.

As you mention Gretzky had 208 points. The next nearest player was Jarri Kurri with 135. Hawerchuk with 130. Marcel Dionne with 126. He had 73 more points than the next closest guy. Compared to his peers that's how much better Gretzky was.

If it makes you feel better let's eliminate all of Gretzky's goals. Pretend he never scored one in his entire career. Do you know who the all-time NHL points leader would be?

(Hint: It rhymes with Bayne Betzky)

You set the bar high for insane statements by claiming Gibson is better than Roy, but then you managed to surpass it with your comments about Gretzky.

Kudos. :clap:

Gretzky having that many assists just goes to further prove my point that everyone was scoring tons of goals during that era, so thank you.

Somehow Gretzky scoring 200 points when dozens of guys were scoring in the triple digits makes him the best of all time but a goalie posting a career .920+ sv % in an era when numerous goalies are above .910% means nothing because of uh.....da equipment iz too big.

Reactions: KJoe88

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Gretzky having that many assists just goes to further prove my point that everyone was scoring tons of goals during that era, so thank you.

Somehow Gretzky scoring 200 points when dozens of guys were scoring in the triple digits makes him the best of all time but a goalie posting a career .920+ sv % in an era when numerous goalies are above .910% means nothing because of uh.....da equipment iz too big.
Yes, your logic is airtight. I'm convinced.

I'd like to further discuss Gretzky but I'm busy listening to someone enlighten me about the world being flat.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
Howe above Lemieux is a crime. Maurice Richard is too high. Crosby being #8 is fine with me. Jagr is way too low.

A few things that come to my mind.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
List seems about right except for the glaring omissions of Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Ovie should be close to Crosby, Jagr and Hasek should be higher.

Overall it’s not terrible though - it is less about omissions and more about the rankings which is tough.

The article is from Dec 2017.

I wonder if Ovie’s Cup would change things.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lemieux is the real #2

In all time lists that judge players strictly against their peers and also place a lot of weight on career length, they have the order of the top 4 correct. If it was based on pure talent he would be #1.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think Ovie should be close to Crosby, Jagr and Hasek should be higher.

Overall it’s not terrible though - it is less about omissions and more about the rankings which is tough.
Considering thousands of players have played in the NHL, being separated by a few spots toward the top does seem like they are "close".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad