TSN ranks the top 25 NHL players of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Up until the 90's there were hardly any non-Canadians in the NHL. It should make sense that the list is mostly Canadians when the league has always had more Canadians than any other nationality, and for 70% of the existence of the league there were only a handful of Europeans and Americans even playing.
But it isn't because Jagr and Hasek are quite easily top 15 players. As well as Lidstrom and Forsberg, but I won't argue about that.

You're looking at it through a historic perspective, which a **** ton of players on that list are only on there because they were "The Beatles" or in other words revolutionaries for the game (not because of talent). If the list was actually based on talent, which is the intended purpose, then at least Jagr is a top 10 player of all time. It's not debatable.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
But it isn't because Jagr and Hasek are quite easily top 15 players. As well as Lidstrom and Forsberg, but I won't argue about that.

You're looking at it through a historic perspective, which a **** ton of players on that list are only on there because they were "The Beatles" or in other words revolutionaries for the game (not because of talent). If the list was actually based on talent, which is the intended purpose, then at least Jagr is a top 10 player of all time. It's not debatable.
you said what i meant alot better.. sometimes i wish my mom wasnt my aunt also

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
ctrl-f "Matthews"... ONE RESULT

"Because while we are judging the greatest players, not the greatest careers, less than three years – and less than two in the case of Auston Matthews– doesn’t hit the minimum."

Can't go a day without bringing up Matthews. They bring him up for eventual top 25 player ever, meanwhile Malkin not considered top 100

Meanwhile... ctrl-f "Toews"... ZERO RESULTS

The torch has finally passed on.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I agree that Jagr should be in the top 15, but I have no issue with Hasek being below Plante and Sawchuk. He should certainly be ahead of Roy. To me, the top 15 would be accurate if you pulled Crosby out, put Morenz in his place, and put Jagr in at number 11. Forsberg belongs nowhere on this list. I don't know if he would make a top 50. 16-25 I think is bungled up a bit, should go Hasek, Bourque, Roy, Lidstrom, Hall, Esposito, Brodeur, Mikita, Yzerman, Sakic.

Everyone on this list is on it because of talent. And Jagr not being top 10 is absolutely debatable.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
ctrl-f "Matthews"... ONE RESULT

"Because while we are judging the greatest players, not the greatest careers, less than three years – and less than two in the case of Auston Matthews– doesn’t hit the minimum."

Can't go a day without bringing up Matthews. They bring him up for eventual top 25 player ever, meanwhile Malkin not considered top 100

Meanwhile... ctrl-f "Toews"... ZERO RESULTS

The torch has finally passed on.

Not having Malkin there ruined the credibility of the entire list. He's closer to top 25 than he is to being outside the top 100, I truly don't understand leaving him off.

Reactions: ThewThew

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Eddie shore won only 2 cups in a 8 team era playing for 14 years. Bad list is bad.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not having Malkin there ruined the credibility of the entire list. He's closer to top 25 than he is to being outside the top 100, I truly don't understand leaving him off.

tumblr_n69qi9BdQp1retk6lo2_400.gif

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree that Jagr should be in the top 15, but I have no issue with Hasek being below Plante and Sawchuk. He should certainly be ahead of Roy. To me, the top 15 would be accurate if you pulled Crosby out, put Morenz in his place, and put Jagr in at number 11. Forsberg belongs nowhere on this list. I don't know if he would make a top 50. 16-25 I think is bungled up a bit, should go Hasek, Bourque, Roy, Lidstrom, Hall, Esposito, Brodeur, Mikita, Yzerman, Sakic.

Everyone on this list is on it because of talent. And Jagr not being top 10 is absolutely debatable.

Doesn't really make sense to me to have Hasek as anything less than the best goalie of all time. He has the most Vezinas, Harts, and did this in an era where goalies had evolved their technique and the talent level was at an all time high. Dominated save % consistently like no other goalie, I don't get an argument for any other goalie.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doesn't really make sense to me to have Hasek as anything less than the best goalie of all time. He has the most Vezinas, Harts, and did this in an era where goalies had evolved their technique and the talent level was at an all time high. Dominated save % consistently like no other goalie, I don't get an argument for any other goalie.
I get the argument, I truly do, and he was easily the best of the modern era (so Roy being ahead of him is ridiculous to me), but you're talking about Plante and Sawchuk here - the best of other eras. I consider the three rather interchangeable.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
In all fairness, Montreal those specific Montreal players have earned their spots. It's not like they've listed Guy Carbonneau or anything.

No I believe they are still overrated though. Bobby Hull, Jagr, Hasek, Crosby all have a good case over the top 3 Canadien players. Having those 3 in a row before any of them and especially Richard at 5 is all overrating them IMO.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
If Sawchuck and Plante were that much above Hasek there is no way either of them has allowed a single goal. Ever.

You can essentially arrange Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Plante, Sawchuk, Hall, and even Dryden in any order and still have a strong case for any order.

Reactions: boyko10

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It is you are right. But you laughing at a 4 time mvp winner (nhl record among defensemen) being on the list because of points per game is just as idiotic.
No problem with him being on the list. Just don't buy this tripe romancing up the NHL's history as if dominating before expansion makes you some kind of made man.
In all fairness, the game was played entirely differently when Shore was playing.
Jagr is far too low though.

Yes it was. Mostly far slower by inferior athletes in a 6 team league. That's not even 150 players. Jagr distinguished himself in a much more competitive game. Do Cups and individual awards carry less weight due to time periods? For me I don't see how rationally they couldn't.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No I believe they are still overrated though. Bobby Hull, Jagr, Hasek, Crosby all have a good case over the top 3 Canadien players. Having those 3 in a row before any of them and especially Richard at 5 is all overrating them IMO.
The top 7 on this list are a lock. Hull should be 8. I don't see how anyone who has followed the game for more than a couple of years could say otherwise.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No problem with him being on the list. Just don't buy this tripe romancing up the NHL's history as if dominating before expansion makes you some kind of made man.

Yes it was. Mostly far slower by inferior athletes in a 6 team league. That's not even 150 players. Jagr distinguished himself in a much more competitive game. Do Cups and individual awards carry less weight due to time periods? For me I don't see how rationally they couldn't.

Cups are team awards. If Cups is your argument, Dick Duff should be on this list over Ovechkin. There were far fewer individual awards to win when Shore played. He won basically all that he could - most MVP's among defensemen of all time to this day. Eddie Shore was the original dominant superstar of the NHL. I have no issue with him being over Jagr.

The inferior athletes argument puzzles me. As does your "6 team league" argument. The best player out of 150 players is still the best player in the world for what its worth.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's extremely odd because I've seen numerous opinions to the contary since a decade ago.
I guess I should have stated that I don't see how anyone can correctly rank the top 7 any differently. Shuffle the order a bit, but those 7 players (and I will concede Hull) are the correct guys to head up a list of the best players of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad