TSN leaks league reaction to NHLPA CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cain

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Bring in the NLRB already! The NHL will never be negotiating fairly and the only thing they are doing are acting like a bunch of TERRORISTS who wont give in until THERE DEMANDS are met.

BRING IN THE NEW HOCKEY LEAGUE and GOODBYE NHL.
The NHL insists on a cap of some form, and the NHLPA insists on no caps of any form. Sounds to me like both parties are not budging on their respective 'demands'.

Pot....Kettle....Yea.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Kaiped Krusader said:
I can think for myself just fine, my friend. The league made six different proposals over the summer. Only one involved a "hard cap." The other five (quoted from the NHL's website) were:

A Performance-Based Salary System, in which a player's individual compensation would be based, in part, on negotiated objective criteria and, in part, on individual and team performance.

A Payroll Range System in which teams could spend within a negotiated range of payrolls.

A system premised on the Centralized Negotiation of Player Contracts, where the League would negotiate individual player contracts, either with players and their agents or with the Union directly.

A Player Partnership Payroll Plan (P-4), which would involve individual player compensation being individually negotiated on the basis of "units" allocated for regular-season payrolls, supplemented by lucrative bonuses for team playoff performance.

A Salary Slotting System, which would contemplate each team being assigned a series of "salary slots" at various levels, each of which would be allocated among each team's players pursuant to individual player-team negotiation.

Come on bud...read JUST a little deeper..they ALL INVOLVE A HARD CAP. Guess you cant think for yourself.

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Riddarn said:
He obviously can think well enough for himself to decide that he doesn't agree with you. You on the other hand resort to name calling and your ever repeating mantra of loud-mouthed pro-PA idiocy.

I'm not saying being pro-PA is stupid, it is a perfectly fine standpoint, even though I fail to see the point in taking sides with anyone. Both sides are just looking after their interests. I'm saying that you are not very good with expressing your viewpoint in a convincing and civilized manner, and you continue to make yourself look bad. Is it really so hard to take some critizism without turning completly rabid?

Very well said, Riddarn. I also haven't taken sides, but I still find it extremely irritating that people on both sides speak as if their position was divinely ordained.

SPARTAKUS*

I was naive to think that both side could come to an agreement. So what's next? Impasse?

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Come on bud...read JUST a little deeper..they ALL INVOLVE A HARD CAP. Guess you cant think for yourself.

the same could be said about you. the players have made no real offer either. one was a joke and the most recent was a smoke screen and a temporary bandaid. You been drinking that kool-aid???

being serious, I think some middle ground can be found and we won't know for sure if a hard cap is propsoed until tomorrow. we'll just have to wait and see.

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
the 31 mil is a starting point for a cap, they said they would negotiate the finer points. The NHLPA saw "cap", not the 31 mil, and thats what scared them away. They wont talk cap, no matter what the amount is. I bet if the players stopped BSing around and sat down and said, 45 or 50 mil hard cap, we could meet somewhere in the middle and have hockey this season. if the cheapest team in the league could raise 31 mil for payroll, then revenue sharing from the big market guys could probably raise them to a league-wide payroll of around 38-40 mil. This is where I see things going.

mooseOAK*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
No there is a difference. They DID leave cards ready to negotiate but the NHL WILL NOT NEGOTIATE. So why would the NHLPA continue??? I hope they give Bettman a swift kick in the ass and tell him goodbye tomorrow at the meeting. Cannot WAIT until the players form there own league now because once the owners see that they will sh*t there pants.

I don't think that the threat of the players forming their own league scares the owners one little bit. Even if the players give in to all the owners' demands they will be in a far better situation. Getting the best deal they can from the NHL is the best that they can do, period.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
No there is a difference. They DID leave cards ready to negotiate but the NHL WILL NOT NEGOTIATE. So why would the NHLPA continue??? I hope they give Bettman a swift kick in the ass and tell him goodbye tomorrow at the meeting. Cannot WAIT until the players form there own league now because once the owners see that they will sh*t there pants.

Wow. You really just don't understand at all do you. Where are the players going to get money to start a league? You think it is just that easy? Tell you what. Why don't you start up a league yourself and offer the players all the money they want?

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
s7ark said:
Wow. You really just don't understand at all do you. Where are the players going to get money to start a league?

Not to mention that even if they could raise the money to start a decent league, the NHL would still be miles ahead since they would still own the rights to all well known names, brands and most importantly the Stanley Cup.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
scaredsensfan said:
Im pretty sure that the NHL does not legally own the Stanley Cup.

Maybe not, but they control it and thats enough. It's been almost a century since it was a challengers trophy.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Huh? How can one "own" the rights to something if they dont own it legally? I have my friend's CD, and have had it for quite a while, but it doesn't mean that I own it. I am in possession of it, but there's no legal baring on me having used it for the last several months. It would be interesting for someone with more knowledge on the situation to give us a lesson.

Lanny MacDonald*

scaredsensfan said:
Im pretty sure that the NHL does not legally own the Stanley Cup.

Well, according to the Hockey Hall of Fame the Stanley Cup is grouped under a number of historic trophies that are listed as "NHL Trophies". The NHL may not "own" them, but the HHOF certainly recognizes the connection between the NHL and Stanley Cup.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
scaredsensfan said:
Huh? How can one "own" the rights to something if they dont own it legally? I have my friend's CD, and have had it for quite a while, but it doesn't mean that I own it. I am in possession of it, but there's no legal baring on me having used it for the last several months. It would be interesting for someone with more knowledge on the situation to give us a lesson.
Who even cares? The point is, why would the new league have any claim to it at all?

Oh, and Ottawa is the 2nd coldest capital in the world. :teach:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Stanley Cup (as in the physical trophy used now, not the fragile top sitting in a vault in the HHOF) is almost certainly owned by the NHL. Whether or not they own the "name" is probably a more difficult question to answer.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Kaiped Krusader said:
Who does "legally" own the Stanley Cup if not the NHL? Tim Horton's? Labatts? Roots?

:dunno: I just assumed they did own it. They have been awarding the damn thing since 1926..

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
FLYLine4LIFE said:
So what your saying is...the PA COULD if they wanted negotiate nothing but a Soft Luxary Tax of 10 cent a dollar over 60mil..but they would be 100% within there rights to do so.

Its called negotiating UNFAIRLY..just what the NHL is doing...if the NHL proposed a CAP of 50 million THEN they wouldnt be considered negotiating unfairly but they wont budge over 30 million cap with our 45 million average team salary.

Yes.... the NHL can negotiate how they want and so can and does the PA

no one said its wrong for them to negotiate a soft cap or a hard cap

and no its not unfair.. they negotiate that way because the players have 'forced' the owners into this position.. had the PA started negotiations 2 years prior to the expiry dat of the CBA, the league would have been much more leniant in their negotiations... however, the last 2 years showed the league how much trouble they really are in.. so although its the owners fault for allowing salary increases to exceed revenues increases, its the players fault for letting negotiations scale to this magnitude..

and why would the NHL propose a 50 million dollar cap!? thats like daly saying he'd accept a $100 million cap

had the PA been smart, they could have saved the season by negotiating 2 years earlier when bettman asked goodenow to open talks.. the PA refused and now are stuck in their "unfair" situation... well.. they called for it..

the owners can negotiate however they want.. and in fact, they are right to negotiate a hard cap in the range of 35-40 million.. the game needs it

WoodGundy

Nov 3, 2003
Halifax
s7ark said:
Why don't you start up a league yourself and offer the players all the money they want?

:lol:

Well said. Can we all ignore the player's kid now? As moose said, the players can't make out nearly as well in any other scenario as they can playing in the NHL under the terms that they will eventually give in to.

If they players want a free market, let them have it. No cap but no gauranteed contracts. I don't even care any more.

-Wood-

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
"In 1947 there was a formal agreement between the trustees whereby the league was delegated the full authority ... making the Stanley Cup a competition for NHL teams," points out Gary Meagher, the NHL vice-president of public relations. He's right. You can check it in Total Hockey, 2nd Edition. Page 355. But wait...! The text goes on: "the agreement shall remain in force so long as the league continues to be the world's leading professional hockey league as determined by it's playing calibre, and in the event of dissolution or other termination of the National Hockey League, the Stanley Cup shall revert to the custody of the trustees."

Intresting read

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040621/col_lankhof-sun.html

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
About the league memo that TSN leaked.. i agree with all the points mentioned except for the last one

i think the PA is right when they are asking for revenue sharing from the regular season.. i think playoff revenue should be the bonus for teams that make the playoffs

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Simple question I have : if a cap is accepted would it be possible for a GM to give a big signature bonus to a player then sign him at a lower salary in order to keep is budget within the cap ??

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chriss_co said:
i think the PA is right when they are asking for revenue sharing from the regular season.. i think playoff revenue should be the bonus for teams that make the playoffs

In theory yes. One should be rewarded for winning and doing well.

In reality, the playoff bonus is one of the things that drives up player costs. Because the financial rewards are so great, a team is willing to increase spending in the hope that it will make and go far in the playoffs. Teams that traditionally make the playoffs count on those funds in their budgeting. When they fail to make the playoffs or go to the finals they are back in a deficit position. More than 4 teams are rolling the dice with additional expenses counting on making it back by making the conference finals.

Teams that make the playoffs don't necessarily need the playoff revenues, the boost they get the following year should be a reward in itself. Tampa has seen its revenues go up when they began winning. Had they played, they would have seen a direct relationship - during the regular season, from winning the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad