TSN leaks league reaction to NHLPA CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chriss_co said:
About the league memo that TSN leaked

Lets be clear, TSN didn't leak the memo. The league, or a owner, leaked the memo.

TSN just reported what it had been given by someone.

Go Flames Go*

Best news all days, the NHLPA's refusal to negotiate there % is just gonna get the season cancelled. Goodenow should work hard at getting a 55% of revenues instead of working 5 hours to put together a band aide proposal. Guess this is the last of the NHL/NHLPA relationship its over, bring on Lonny Bohonos and Corey Hirsch.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
chriss_co said:
About the league memo that TSN leaked.. i agree with all the points mentioned except for the last one

i think the PA is right when they are asking for revenue sharing from the regular season.. i think playoff revenue should be the bonus for teams that make the playoffs

Yeah, I read that and I felt like I was in Bizarro World (mind you I feel like that every day, but that's neither here nor there)...

So going by that notion, Calgary would have had to share more revenue than any of the big spenders? Kinda takes some incentive away from a team to try to go deep in the playoffs to me. :dunno:

Perhaps I just read it wrong...

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Bring in the NLRB already! The NHL will never be negotiating fairly and the only thing they are doing are acting like a bunch of TERRORISTS who wont give in until THERE DEMANDS are met.

I would think that a true New Yorker would be offended that someone would use the word "terrorist" to describe a party in a labor disagreement.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
CRAZY_FAN said:
Simple question I have : if a cap is accepted would it be possible for a GM to give a big signature bonus to a player then sign him at a lower salary in order to keep is budget within the cap ??

if such deals arent discussed and covered with in the rules of a possible cap system, whom ever negotiated the deal should be fired.

in the NFL, Bonus' are covered and do count for the cap. They are added to the Contract and spread out over the length of the deal. They just have to be paid in agreement to the terms. Some players want their bonus up front. others want them at the start of each season.

but it most certianly counts against the cap. And in the NHL it should as well.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
X8oD said:
if such deals arent discussed and covered with in the rules of a possible cap system, whom ever negotiated the deal should be fired.

in the NFL, Bonus' are covered and do count for the cap. They are added to the Contract and spread out over the length of the deal. They just have to be paid in agreement to the terms. Some players want their bonus up front. others want them at the start of each season.

but it most certianly counts against the cap. And in the NHL it should as well.

But at the same time wouldn't the "rich" teams still have an unfair advantage with the bonuses? Detroit could pay a much bigger upfront bonus to a star than Calgary could, even though Detroit might have less cap room than Calgary for that particular season.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
TexSen said:
You do realize that just because we are discussing a "cap" issue doesn't mean we have to TYPE IN CAPS right? ;)

Don't you know? Yelling makes your argument more correct.

I'm beginning to think the 14 stands for his age.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
PecaFan said:
Don't you know? Yelling makes your argument more correct.

I'm beginning to think the 14 stands for his age.

Lol, I actually was starting to think the same thing

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
I think the leak was done on purpose and the NHL is just setting the table so they can serve the meal. Somehow they wanted a sombre mood to present their proposal to.

If I were them, I would add one small paragraph at the end of the players' proposal stating that any team with a payroll > $40 mill could not sign a player until they fell below that level. That would allow them to have a base team of 40 mill and one superstar above that level (assuming the superstar gets signed every year). It would also make them pay a tax on the superstar salary over 5 million.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Donnie D said:
Teams that make the playoffs don't necessarily need the playoff revenues, the boost they get the following year should be a reward in itself. Tampa has seen its revenues go up when they began winning. Had they played, they would have seen a direct relationship - during the regular season, from winning the cup.

You don't get a boost from making the playoffs if you routinely sell-out your building. Yes, teams like Tampa nd nashville likely would have received a boost this year, but teams like the Flyers, Detroit, Minnesota etc. that sell-out the building nightly don't get that boost.

Sharing playoff revenues gives even less incentive for an owner to make an effort to try and win.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I get a real kick out of the "players will go start their own league" stuff!!! That is maybe the most foolish thing I have ever heard, the players have no idea the cost of signing cheques as versus cashing cheques... :lol: :handclap: :lol

SopelFan*

Screw Bettman and Goodenow. Hockey is dead. Even if we ever get a season going, the shootouts are crap.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
hockeytown9321 said:
But at the same time wouldn't the "rich" teams still have an unfair advantage with the bonuses? Detroit could pay a much bigger upfront bonus to a star than Calgary could, even though Detroit might have less cap room than Calgary for that particular season.

to the players who may be more viewed as a highered gun than a long term investment.

Most players, well many players in the NFL aim for the most money and longer term of the contract, than they do upfront money. Sure they love up front money. but there isnt much difference between a 2 mil bonus and a 1 mil bonus, if you are making 3 mil less a season.

But, in the nfl there is a difference. the NHLPA wont give up guarenteed contracts. in the NFL, you can get cut, contracts are not guarenteed. Players know the money getting is good only while you can get it. Its one reason why bonus' play a major part.

if the NHLPA ever gave up guarenteed contracts, then I would agree with you. Its a wierd combination in the NFL, but their major TV deals make up for it. Players are well compensated.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Steve L said:
Anyone else see the irony in this post?
:lol:

most of us do.

then again many of us are probably wondering why his posts arent deleted, edited or what not.

if i called somebody an idiot as often as he does to people who dont share his views, id'a been banned before i reached my 100th post.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Bring in the NLRB already! The NHL will never be negotiating fairly and the only thing they are doing are acting like a bunch of TERRORISTS who wont give in until THERE DEMANDS are met.

BRING IN THE NEW HOCKEY LEAGUE and GOODBYE NHL.

Shut down the NHL. Start up a new league with $25m hard cap. That'll fix everything from a players point of view :lol

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
CRAZY_FAN said:
Simple question I have : if a cap is accepted would it be possible for a GM to give a big signature bonus to a player then sign him at a lower salary in order to keep is budget within the cap ??

So long as the signing bonus is accounted for it shouldn't be a problem. It even gives GM a little wiggle room for looking after their teams ie

Tampa know it needs to re-sign Richards, Lecavalier and St Louis and others.

Salary cap is $45m.

Tampa salary is $35m currently

Lecavalier, Richards and St Louis all want raises over the next 3 years to the $5m range from their current $2m

They can't afford to pay them $9m extra + pay the rest of the team raises.

Being a smart GM the Tampa GM realises he's wasting $10m worth of cap space if he doesn't use it immediately.

Tampa offers Lecavalier $12m in the 1st year and $3m 2nd, $2m 3rd & $2m 4th. ($20m over 4 years)

next year

Tampa offers St Louis is $10m in the 1st year and $3m 2nd, $2m 3rd. ($15m over 3 years)

etc

Lecavalier gets his $20 million over 4 years, St Louis gets his $5m/y and there is room to pay Richards at the end of it. Thus the GM can keep Tampa together for longer.

This to me is smart GMing.

Teams matching offers for their players should be free to spread the signing bonus out as they see fit.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
I'm not surprised that the offer is going to be shot down, as the owners are stuck on a salary cap. That's what will probably be in their counter proposal tomorrow: a cap, and the players of course will reject it. Sheesh, this is VERY depressing........ :mad: :madfire:

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Jesus your an idiot.
That is the funniest thing I've read in a looooooooooooooong time. Thanks for the laugh FLYLine4LIFE.

Oh, and to the mods: I think his title under his name goes a little to far. I can see FIRE BETTMAN or BETTMAN MUST GO, but BETMAN MUST DIE? How is that acceptable?

HckyFght*

I have a hard time believing that the NHLPA's offer, with the added concession of a buy-out for garunteed contracts wouldn't do the trick.
-Hcky!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Burns Beard