TSN leaks league reaction to NHLPA CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Well, nothing new there. We'll just have to wait and see what this proposal looks like.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
the article seems to be surprised that the league feels the way it does about what was offered - and their organized responses. its kinda sad the way all the players have been saying the league "has" to see it our way now. i agree that there arent enough restraints in the offer, and its just one of many possible starting points. people have remember that last time, offers were made and rejected a number of times - and talks broke off a number of times as well. we are still following that schedule pretty close.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Seachd said:
Well, nothing new there. We'll just have to wait and see what this proposal looks like.

I'm guessing something in the stile of a clenched fist with an extended middle finger.

Jazz

This is what I was afraid of in one aspect:

This is going to galvanize the players even more behind Goodenow. Virtually all of the players will now be saying "What, 24% is not good enough???" - and of course Bob will be feeding his players more of his kool-aid. Basically now Bob has strengthened his position with the palyers.

Kelly Hrudey once said it best on TV a while ago: "players are good at 2 things, fighting, and following" - and Bob knows this all to well. :shakehead

mooseOAK*

Things don't look any "more bleak" as they wrote today since we all knew the league was going to make a counter offer.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
Things don't look any "more bleak" as they wrote today since we all knew the league was going to make a counter offer.
i disagree a little bit - as we now have a full day of back and forth reactions to this announcement. i assume we'll have extremely negative player reactions on tsn by tonight - pounding into us even more the resolve of the union to fight the evil empire. it may seem a little more bleak after that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Bring in the NLRB already! The NHL will never be negotiating fairly and the only thing they are doing are acting like a bunch of TERRORISTS who wont give in until THERE DEMANDS are met.

BRING IN THE NEW HOCKEY LEAGUE and GOODBYE NHL.

Last edited:

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Bring in the NLRB already! The NHL will never be negotiating fairly and the only thing they are doing are acting like a bunch of TERRORISTS who wont give in until THERE DEMANDS are met.
How is the league not negotiating fairly? They're no less fair than the players. Both sides seem pretty resolute on one key area - a salary cap. You equating them with "terrorists" shows both your maturity level and your understanding of the situation.

mooseOAK*

bleedgreen said:
i disagree a little bit - as we now have a full day of back and forth reactions to this announcement. i assume we'll have extremely negative player reactions on tsn by tonight - pounding into us even more the resolve of the union to fight the evil empire. it may seem a little more bleak after that.

I'm assuming that the NHLPA left themselves some cards to play such as reducing the rollback if the NHL demands something else, for example. They didn't say that this was a take it or leave it offer so I assume that they are ready to negotiate on the issues.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
is capitalizing ever word all that neccesary?

the leagues offer will be its ideal situation i think, now they gotta move closer and closer. hopefully its not too far off. both sides DO want to settle, its only a matter of time, but that oculd be a day to a eternity at this point. eventually its just gonna come out like this:

"okay bob you drive a hard bargain.. you can keep your salary roll back and you can have a modified arbitration system.. but we get a cap at XX dollars"

"id knew you see it my way, gary."

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Kaiped Krusader said:
How is the league not negotiating fairly? They're no less fair than the players. Both sides seem pretty resolute on one key area - a salary cap. You equating them with "terrorists" shows both your maturity level and your understanding of the situation.

Are you JOKING Me?!~!?! How is the LEAGUE not NEGOTIATING fairly? WHERE HAVE THEY STARTED NEGOTIATING?!!?!?!?? They have put forth a HARD CAP from the START and it has NOT CHANGED. Jesus your an idiot. The NHLPA have started NEGOTIATIONS by comming down from there high chair but I guess you dont see that...go listen to Burke and Bettman since you cant think for yourself. :shakehead

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
mooseOAK said:
I'm assuming that the NHLPA left themselves some cards to play such as reducing the rollback if the NHL demands something else, for example. They didn't say that this was a take it or leave it offer so I assume that they are ready to negotiate on the issues.

No there is a difference. They DID leave cards ready to negotiate but the NHL WILL NOT NEGOTIATE. So why would the NHLPA continue??? I hope they give Bettman a swift kick in the ass and tell him goodbye tomorrow at the meeting. Cannot WAIT until the players form there own league now because once the owners see that they will sh*t there pants.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
the PA is refusing to negotiate a cap. the league wants a cap but said all along they're willing to negotiate the finer points of it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
i agree. a lot of people forget about the last lockout. there were rejected offers that proceeded face to face dialog. talks broke off repeatedly, even after they were talking for hours in the same room. we arent drastically off course from where we were that year.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
FreshBrew said:
the PA is refusing to negotiate a cap. the league wants a cap but said all along they're willing to negotiate the finer points of it.
Negotiate a cap?!

The whole LOCKOUT is SUPPOSE to be to negotiate a new CBA. The Owners wont negotiate anything BUT a cap...i mean a HARD Cap.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
a cap will have ramifications to everything (almost) in the CBA. you pretty much have to negoriate that (or whatever system youd prefer) before being able making adaquate changes to stuff like arbitration, entry level systems, and qualifying offers.

SENSible1*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Negotiate a cap?!

The whole LOCKOUT is SUPPOSE to be to negotiate a new CBA. The Owners wont negotiate anything BUT a cap...i mean a HARD Cap.

and if they choose to negotiate nothing but a hard cap, they are 100% within their rights to do so.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Are you JOKING Me?!~!?! How is the LEAGUE not NEGOTIATING fairly? WHERE HAVE THEY STARTED NEGOTIATING?!!?!?!?? They have put forth a HARD CAP from the START and it has NOT CHANGED. Jesus your an idiot. The NHLPA have started NEGOTIATIONS by comming down from there high chair but I guess you dont see that...go listen to Burke and Bettman since you cant think for yourself. :shakehead
I can think for myself just fine, my friend. The league made six different proposals over the summer. Only one involved a "hard cap." The other five (quoted from the NHL's website) were:

A Performance-Based Salary System, in which a player's individual compensation would be based, in part, on negotiated objective criteria and, in part, on individual and team performance.

A Payroll Range System in which teams could spend within a negotiated range of payrolls.

A system premised on the Centralized Negotiation of Player Contracts, where the League would negotiate individual player contracts, either with players and their agents or with the Union directly.

A Player Partnership Payroll Plan (P-4), which would involve individual player compensation being individually negotiated on the basis of "units" allocated for regular-season payrolls, supplemented by lucrative bonuses for team playoff performance.

A Salary Slotting System, which would contemplate each team being assigned a series of "salary slots" at various levels, each of which would be allocated among each team's players pursuant to individual player-team negotiation.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:

He obviously can think well enough for himself to decide that he doesn't agree with you. You on the other hand resort to name calling and your ever repeating mantra of loud-mouthed pro-PA idiocy.

I'm not saying being pro-PA is stupid, it is a perfectly fine standpoint, even though I fail to see the point in taking sides with anyone. Both sides are just looking after their interests. I'm saying that you are not very good with expressing your viewpoint in a convincing and civilized manner, and you continue to make yourself look bad. Is it really so hard to take some critizism without turning completly rabid?

Lanny MacDonald*

FLYLine4LIFE said:

BRING IN THE NEW HOCKEY LEAGUE and GOODBYE NHL.

Terrorists? Whose business is this? Who owns the arenas? Who pays the salaries? Who has the massive investment to make this work? The NHL and it franchises. They have the right to do what they feel is best for their league. If the players do not like it, find another line of work that will pay them $1.3 million (on average) per year for a GED level education. If it were not for the NHL and its franchises the majority of these guys would be working in a mill, digging a ditch or wearing a paper hat hoping for that big promotion to drive through window. Get a grip buddy. The players own nothing and bring nothing to the table but their individual skill. The game is bigger than any one player and bigger than even 770 players. Hockey will still be there when all is said and done. Where will these guys be?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Thunderstruck said:
and if they choose to negotiate nothing but a hard cap, they are 100% within their rights to do so.

So what your saying is...the PA COULD if they wanted negotiate nothing but a Soft Luxary Tax of 10 cent a dollar over 60mil..but they would be 100% within there rights to do so.

Its called negotiating UNFAIRLY..just what the NHL is doing...if the NHL proposed a CAP of 50 million THEN they wouldnt be considered negotiating unfairly but they wont budge over 30 million cap with our 45 million average team salary.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Negotiate a cap?!

You do realize that just because we are discussing a "cap" issue doesn't mean we have to TYPE IN CAPS right? ;)

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
You would think someone from NY would know better where and where not to use the term "terrorist".

Just by the way how does something like this get leaked out? How does TSN get ahold of this memo before tomorrow's meeting? Personally I believe it was leaked on purpose so as not a real surprise to the union tomorrow, in fact may even have them having some conversations between the NHLPA executive committee prior to the meeting.

Come on guys what do expect from Brooks reader and believer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad