TSN leaks league reaction to NHLPA CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
X8oD said:
to the players who may be more viewed as a highered gun than a long term investment.

Most players, well many players in the NFL aim for the most money and longer term of the contract, than they do upfront money. Sure they love up front money. but there isnt much difference between a 2 mil bonus and a 1 mil bonus, if you are making 3 mil less a season.

But, in the nfl there is a difference. the NHLPA wont give up guarenteed contracts. in the NFL, you can get cut, contracts are not guarenteed. Players know the money getting is good only while you can get it. Its one reason why bonus' play a major part.

if the NHLPA ever gave up guarenteed contracts, then I would agree with you. Its a wierd combination in the NFL, but their major TV deals make up for it. Players are well compensated.

But all of the money is paid upfront, it just gets prorated out over the course of the deal. If Joey Harrington gets a 5 year deal with a $5 million bonus, he gets that $5 million upfront. In the NFL, every team can afford any bonus. I don't know if thats the case in hockey.

And I think the League is trying to eliminate gauranteed contracts. Its at least been discussed.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
In league's proposal today they more or less throw that idea out the window (as in all contracts are guaranteed)

Brent Burns Beard