TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Cube

Dec 17, 2005
Sweden
I hate to bring this up... and maybe I'm a biased Canucks fan, but this incident ranks up there with Bertuzzi on Steve Moore. Disgraceful.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Bruwinz37 said:
Far, far too much logic in your post my friend.

Well said.

Canada is moving on, its a better choice not to "Whine". This lack of a suspension clearly makes the IIHF a total joke.

Avery4Byng*

A truely poor display of sportsmanship and proper playing of the game. Everyone makes mistakes though, all that matters is the good guys won.
Wow did that ever remind me of Steve Moore on Naslund though.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
deandebean said:
Sometimes, these Darcy Tucker clones get clocked. Downie is not a saint. The IIHF made the right call. It does not warrant a suspension.

It doesn't matter if he's "asking" for it, that's irrelevant. Downie was doing his job all night and doing it well a couple of taps to Johnson's pants doesn't warrant that blatant elbow to the head.

If there were fighting allowed, i'd like to see Johnson drop the gloves with him.

I don't even have a problem with JJ but he should be suspended.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i think it shows a number of things. first, no camera angle showed depth perception - so its impossible to see how much contact was actually made. second, the canadian team has hardly freaked out about it in any article i read - so maybe it wasnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be. it was a dirty play, but its been reviewed and obviously they didnt think it was worth it. its easy to say they are idiots, but iihf touneys imo tend to be on the tight side of things, so it makes me think they really didnt think it was that bad. im not accusing downie of playing it up, but maybe the powers that be think he did? i would think canada would love to see jj out for any future games against - so i wouldve thought they wouldve pushed it further if they tought it was that bad as well.

as for all the outrage around here. it was hardly as bad as messier putting modano on a strecher in the 90's. dont recall mess getting much for that. he received nothing for elbowing dave roberts on a play that effectively ended his career after facial surgery. no one talks about that.

Jaysfanatic*

TK79 said:
Thats a load of crap. Rick Nash didn't get suspended when he put his hands on a offical at last years World Championships. Neither did Rob Neidermayer after he rammed Peter Forsberg head first into the boards from behind in the 2004 World Championship final. There are several other examples I could name..

Did Rick Nash injure that official? Was there any malicious intent? No, he was trying to get the ref to listen. Forsberg was turning when Robbie hit him, you dont' know what you're talking about.

BCCHL inactive

IcedTea said:
The IIHF rulebook says that an attempt to injure is a match penalty. That elbow was an attemp to injure. That's all there is to it, really.

The officials have to judge it to be an attempt to injure in order to call a Match Penalty.

Bruwinz37 said:
So if a player takes a run at a guy in the corner, leaves his feet, elbows high and barely connects with the opposing player catching mostly glass is that also a suspension?

If the intent to injure is obviously there, absolutely.

Devilsfanatic said:
Did Rick Nash injure that official? Was there any malicious intent? No, he was trying to get the ref to listen.

So what? Players do not touch the officials. Rick Nash should have been kicked out of the game and suspended. The IIHF dropped the ball on that too.

The IIHF is clearly not capable of controlling the actions of the players involved in their tournaments.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
JJ took a page out of the Derian Hatcher coward playbook. When your chips are on the table and you know you are out, throw an elbow and hope to injure someone. A real class act both of these cowards are. What a stupid thing for this kid to do. A very highly touted prospect who will now be remembered for throwing a cowardly elbow at the end of a loss. I bet Hatcher loved every minute of that. If he doesn't get suspended I hope he gets a good whoopin' from someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I haven't personally seen anything in the replays that indicate it was a "dive."

But I'll play along with bruins and ask, what difference does it make?

Any time a person attempts a flying elbow at the head of an opponent, it is an attempt to injure. There is no gray. It's as black and white as television in the 1940s. There is ONE reason why you throw a flying elbow at another person: You're trying to hurt them.

Jack Johnson, and just to be clear, I think this is totally out of character for him, attempted to injure an opponent, and for it he should suffer the appropriate consequences, which is a suspension.

Backin72

Jul 9, 2004
Winnipeg
Matt MacInnis said:
I haven't personally seen anything in the replays that indicate it was a "dive."

It has no bearing. It's an excuse to minimize the infraction.

KariyaIsGod*

Johnson tried to hurt another player.

Simple as that.

The replay CLEARLY shows it.

A suspension should have been warranted. People trying to injure others don't deserve the right to play.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Siberian said:
IIHF did an absolutely right thing, JJ should not be suspended. They obviously reviewed the tape and saw what Downey did prior to that. Good decidion (And I am Russia's fan, I would like to face full-roster americans in the semifinal, of course if they get past czechs).

You are kidding right? Regardless of who plays for who, or who did what, there is no justification for a drive by elbow to the back of the head. The action should be decided on the merits of what Johnson did. Players have already been suspended in the tournament for simple face to face fighting.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Thanks

Bandwagoner said:
Um I could be wrong, but I have watched the clip a few times.

But didn't it go:

JJ slashed Downie, Downie slashed JJ, then the JJ elbow attempt.

I am pretty sure it wasn't just Downie doing some stick work on that play.

Though, the IIHF didn't suspend him... okay... lets move on.... though I am pretty sure Downie is gonna have a long memory on this one.

You are 100% correct: peevish small whack by JJ, "oh yeah" small whack by Downie, elbow to the back of the head by JJ.

The slashes by both players were not worth mentioning and have ZERO to do with the elbow.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Huh?

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Again, it wasn't like it was a repeat of the Bertuzzi incident. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Did you actually see the game?

I have seen a lot of analogies flying around, but a more appropriate one would be:

It is pretty well known how chippy a player Bourque is. Let's say Bourque just fed a pass to Kessel to for an empty net goal, and that he and Bourdon exchanged a couple of small slashes before Bourdon threw an elbow at the back of Bourque's head.

You of course would still have been posting how it was no big deal right?

I any case IIHF rules call for suspension for far lesser transgressions. I believe they refused to review since the ref only called a game misconduct.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Lol

Bruwinz37 said:
No, you are not. I have been saying it was a blatant dive since it happened. I had it on TIVO and played it several times in super slo-mo and his head didnt even move when the elbow came up. It was such a delayed reaction it was silly. Everyone here is basing it all on emotion and what the blatantly bias TSN guys were screaming about. Johnson barely made contact if at all.

You'd better take that TIVO back. Either it or your vision is seriously defective.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Okay

Bruwinz37 said:
BS. As much as I dont like Downie, the guy will do whatever it takes to get his team to have an advantage. That is why he will be so succesful at the next level.

He most certainly did embellish that or he is a wuss because the hit barely touched him.

Let us say that anything you have pointed out has merit.

Now explain to me how courageous Johnson is by taking a shot at the back of a guy's head?

Johnson took a cheap shot at a guy from behind. Regardless of how you want to paint what came afterwards, that is gutless.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
JrHockeyFan said:
Let us say that anything you have pointed out has merit.

Now explain to me how courageous Johnson is by taking a shot at the back of a guy's head?

Johnson took a cheap shot at a guy from behind. Regardless of how you want to paint what came afterwards, that is gutless.

If you feel the need to jump into the conversation on page 7 please have the respect to follow what is being discussed. I have stated several times that what Johnson did was wrong. Although I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to the BACK of someone's head....unless you are talking about a different play. He was squarely in front of him when he hit him.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Bruwinz37 said:
If you feel the need to jump into the conversation on page 7 please have the respect to follow what is being discussed. I have stated several times that what Johnson did was wrong. Although I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to the BACK of someone's head....unless you are talking about a different play. He was squarely in front of him when he hit him.

Maybe you can clear something up for me?

Do you, or do you not, acknowledge that a "flying elbow" is an INTENT to injure?

If not, what is a flying elbow?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:

Any time a person attempts a flying elbow at the head of an opponent, it is an attempt to injure. There is no gray. It's as black and white as television in the 1940s. There is ONE reason why you throw a flying elbow at another person: You're trying to hurt them.

Jack Johnson, and just to be clear, I think this is totally out of character for him, attempted to injure an opponent, and for it he should suffer the appropriate consequences, which is a suspension.

Well Matt, because so many of the people discussing this with me assume that because I think Downie embellished the hit they ASSume that I am supporting Johnson which was clearly not the case. I think he did move in for a big elbow and for whatever reason did NOT catch him flush. I have said in several posts (which I guess you skipped) that I do not condone the action and think it was unsportsmanlike.

This thread (and other threads) started by saying what a "viscious elbow" it was and compared it to Bertuzzi and I am just saying that it did not really connect and that Downie's embellishment (along with the maniacal color guy on TSN) made it seem much worse than it was. The refs did not give a match penalty and the IIHF didnt even deem it worthy of review, which for the record I disagree with as it did warrant at least some type of review.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:
Maybe you can clear something up for me?

Do you, or do you not, acknowledge that a "flying elbow" is an INTENT to injure?

If not, what is a flying elbow?

Matt I think it looked worse than it was, period. Perhaps they felt Johnson held back a bit. I wish I had a different camera angle than the one TSN kept using (has anyone else seen another angle?). It is hard to give an intent to injure when the player barely makes contact even if it did look bad. Again, not condoning anything either way, just saying that Downie embellished what happened.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Bruwinz37 said:
The refs did not give a match penalty.

You keep referring to the fact he didn't get a match penalty as though it somehow proves the hit wasn't that bad. But as has been pointed out several times, the ref penalized Johnson for kneeing, not elbowing, which kinda tells me he never really saw the hit.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Bruwinz37 said:
Well Matt, because so many of the people discussing this with me assume that because I think Downie embellished the hit they ASSume that I am supporting Johnson which was clearly not the case. I think he did move in for a big elbow and for whatever reason did NOT catch him flush. I have said in several posts (which I guess you skipped) that I do not condone the action and think it was unsportsmanlike.

This thread (and other threads) started by saying what a "viscious elbow" it was and compared it to Bertuzzi and I am just saying that it did not really connect and that Downie's embellishment (along with the maniacal color guy on TSN) made it seem much worse than it was. The refs did not give a match penalty and the IIHF didnt even deem it worthy of review, which for the record I disagree with as it did warrant at least some type of review.

Yes, I've read the entire thread.

Whether or not he connected (which I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that Downie took a dive, but for argument's sake, I'll say you're right) is completely irrelevant.

The rule is INTENT to injure.

Is a flying elbow an INTENT to injure?

What other reason is there for elbowing (or trying to elbow) a player in the head?

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Wow

Bruwinz37 said:
Please then address why:

It wasnt a match penalty.

No suspensions were issued after video replay by the IIHF.

Downie has no concussion.

Mine is a theory based on review of the tape and the above stated. Seems most people here are basing their opinion on overblown patriotism and the maniacal rants of whoever was on TSN overreacting to the whole situation.

That is some kind of TIVO you have there! It can tell intent and medical issues at the same time!

I also have this recorded on DVD and watched it as many times as was necessary to see that what Johnson did was a deliberate attempt to hit Downie in the back of the head. Contact was made, how much is debateable. Neither DVD OR TIVO can tell you that.

If anybody is looking at this incident with "overblown patriotism" it is you. You are sweeping under the table the fact that Johnson threw an elbow at a guy from behind. That is clear intent to injure. You just want to colour what came afterward to make it squeaky clean.

Fact of the matter is that what Johnson did was totally wrong and he got no real penalty for it. Try being the slightest bit objective and admit it why don't you.

And by the way, concussions are not all readily detectable. And shots to the back of the head do not limit damage to the head. The neck can be seriously injured as well. But you don't seem to care anyway since you only seem intent to see what you want to see in your magic TIVO unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad