OT: TSN Is dead (Rogers secures 12-year exclusive National Broadcast deal with NHL + CHL)

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Cuthbert and Ferraro for all Canuck games? Mackenzie, LeBrun and Friedman for the panel?

I could live with CBC if they do that.

hell yes! cuthbert is a very good pbp guy. ferraro is meh to me. lebrun's been on cbc before so it shouldn't be an issue. just please get rid some of the cbc panel is just plain boring. even if the tsn guys jumpship to cbc or sportsnet.. that's alot of "experts" on the panel.

StringerBell

:laugh::laugh: Nice. they tried so hard to be CBC.

feel bad for Kouleas though. It's like he kills every network he's on.

Kouleas sucks. Even the sound of his voice is too much for me to handle. Automatic channel change when he's on the TV.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Cuthbert and Ferraro for all Canuck games? Mackenzie, LeBrun and Friedman for the panel?

I could live with CBC if they do that.

I would freaking love that! Wow respectable people on the panel, if it plays out like this then we fans win, now how do we make sportsmet better?

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
hell yes! cuthbert is a very good pbp guy. ferraro is meh to me. lebrun's been on cbc before so it shouldn't be an issue. just please get rid some of the cbc panel is just plain boring. even if the tsn guys jumpship to cbc or sportsnet.. that's alot of "experts" on the panel.
Cuthbert is the voice of the CFL...no way TSN let's him go.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Lebrun won't jump ship. He's got a job with ESPN who part own TSN.

Don't know if McKenzie will. He seems so comfortable at TSN. Have to think Cuthbert and Gord Miller will. They're fantastic hockey PBP guys.

Send Cuthbert to CBC and Gord Miller to Sportsnet. Hughson/Cuthbert on HNIC and Gord Miller doing most of the national Sportsnet games.

It's a shame, though. Tsn is far and away the best hockey broadcast on TV right now. I was really hoping they'd get at least a piece of the pie. This is going to hurt their network badly. The CBC absolutely had to have this, though. Losing it might have spelled the beginning of the end for them.

ohlund2.2

Feb 22, 2004
Vancouver
well...this sucks. sportsnet is brutal as it is. i'd never watch it if it weren't for canucks game. second rate everything and now they get a national package?

i'm legit pissed about this.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
TSN have the best deadline/Free agency/Draft day coverage......huge loss

undoubtedly some of the editors, programmers, writers, analysts will transfer over to Sportsnet, so no loss.

Plus CBC and TSN are always toronto/eastcoast first, all the way so expect big changes to sportsnet over the next year. :yo::handclap::)

Be a nice change of pace! And hey maybe this team will finally get some luck on sportsnet in the playoffs! Need all the luck in a game 7 finals game!

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Aren't the optics a bit off that a publicly funded broadcaster is out-bidding a private sector broadcaster? Isn't producing Canadian TV CBC's mandate instead of using public funding to bid on contracts that the private sector can do? I know hockey is a huge draw for their network so going all in is kind of a necessary evil for them, but it seems like they are using hockey to prop up money losing segments of their network.

Hopefully Bobby Mac will make the jump to CBC and maybe bump off one of the airheads they have. That CBC panel is pretty much garbage aside from Elliot Friedman, but Ron Maclean has a following too. The rest are awful and just there to create controversy. I bet though that instead of Bobby Mac, CBC will instead pick up Dreger just to add another anti-Canuck voice to the panel.

Sportsnet's panel is a bit of a joke. Kipper, Doug Maclean and the other airhead from their radio show, yeah they need an upgrade. People are trashing on SN, but at least they do regional coverage. CBC and TSN did national level coverage, which usually had a Toronto-centric bias. I'm so tired of tuning into a LA-Vancouver game on TSN and CBC and listen to them talk up LA 80% of the time.

Bob McKenzie tweets:

Well, that was an interesting, 4+ hour drive home from Sudbury tonite. Could've done it quicker but had to pull over to tweet some news.

TSN's national rights package for NHL games expires at end of this season and isn't being renewed. NHL to announce new CBC-Rogers deal Tues.

Obviously, it's very disappointing for us at TSN. We take great pride in doing NHL games and will continue to do so thru to 2014 NHL draft.

Thanks to the many loyal viewers/readers/fans who have reached out tonight. You have no idea how much it means to all of us at TSN.

There's bound to be degree of uncertainty ahead but this isn't first time TSN will be without nat'l NHL rights. It happened from 1998-2002.

In fact, that's when I quit my fulltime newspaper job to be a fulltime broadcaster.

TSN decided then it would, in spite of losing nat'l rights, maintain/intensify efforts to continue as THE source for hockey news and info.

And that has always been our mandate at TSN, with or without nat'l NHL rights, and I'd like to think that will continue now.

Last edited:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
TSN will be completely irrelevant, 24/7/365 CFL coverage? all they have is an 8 team league most people don't care about, some NFL games, and the world juniors, oh and Sunday Night Baseball on TSN2. At least its an end to the very annoying Trade Deadline Preview Shows, free agency preview shows, intermissions talking about the trade deadline 2 months beforehand, and hopefully the end of Dreger.

Also I don't care about panels, intermissions are for doing chores, push ups, sit ups, some homework questions, quick sex, not listening to Dreger talk pointless crap his cousin tells him.

StringerBell

Aren't the optics a bit off that a publicly funded broadcaster is out-bidding a private sector broadcaster? Isn't producing Canadian TV CBC's mandate instead of using public funding to bid on contracts that the private sector can do? I know hockey is a huge draw for their network so going all in is kind of a necessary evil for them, but it seems like they are using hockey to prop up money losing segments of their network.

Hopefully Bobby Mac will make the jump to CBC and maybe bump off one of the airheads they have. That CBC panel is pretty much garbage aside from Elliot Friedman, but Ron Maclean has a following too. The rest are awful and just there to create controversy. I bet though that instead of Bobby Mac, CBC will instead pick up Dreger just to add another anti-Canuck voice to the panel.

Sportsnet's panel is a bit of a joke. Kipper, Doug Maclean and the other airhead from their radio show, yeah they need an upgrade. People are trashing on SN, but at least they do regional coverage. CBC and TSN did national level coverage, which usually had a Toronto-centric bias. I'm so tired of tuning into a LA-Vancouver game on TSN and CBC and listen to them talk up LA 80% of the time.

Bob McKenzie tweets:

I didn't think HNIC was publically funded. In fact, I think they generate enough ad revenue to support other CBC programs which lowers the public funding. Could be wrong tho, can't remember where I heard that. Probably read it on HF lol.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The NHL felt that Hockey Night in Canada was important to keep. (Read it on business boards)

And I'd rather have money going towards HNIC than some of the other shows on CBC

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Wasn't a huge fan of TSN. I actually like SNet.

TSN was the worst for churning unnecessary controversy, IMO.

But TSN was better than CBC. I hope those guys kick those idiots on the CBC panel the hell out of there.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Terrible news for hockey fans. TSN provides by far the best hockey coverage. Best analysts and commentators.

Duthie, Bobby Mac, Cuthbert, Gord Miller and Lebrun are some of the best in the business. I also have a weird affinity toward Aaron Ward. Hopefully these guys get picked up by CBC and they ditch Healey, Weekes and pretty much everyone else except Friedman.

Sportsnet will continue to be garbage. And I just have to say I don't know how Brian Lawton ever was an NHL GM. He is an awful analyst.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I didn't think HNIC was publically funded. In fact, I think they generate enough ad revenue to support other CBC programs which lowers the public funding. Could be wrong tho, can't remember where I heard that. Probably read it on HF lol.

Sure, HNIC is profitable but CBC itself is publicly funded. Usually publicly owned companies don't compete directly with the private sector. They should be focused on Canadian programming. If they want to compete with the private sector, then they should probably be sold off and leave it to the CRTC to worry about Canadian content. That's just my CBC rant though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad