TSN Dreger: 2021 Draft may get pushed to 2022

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If players outside the top three rounds are free agents then it favors popular teams attracting talent, which goes against league parity, one of the most important things for the NHL to generate revenue. In that world, New York, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Minnesota and other similar teams would have such an edge over franchises like Arizona and Winnipeg that it would not be fair.

And if UFA happens in only 4 years, NHL owners would push for greater share of HRR and/or non-guaranteed contracts.

Simply put, those ideas are not gonna happen anytime soon.

What will happen though is that in June 2022 one of Hughes, Power, Clarke, Beniers, Guenther and such will get drafted first overall in the 2021 delayed draft, which will go 7-rounds as usual.

Then, less than two weeks later the 2022 NHL draft will take place, leading to Shane Wright getting selected first overall, followed by the very same process we're familiar with.
Well I have an idea...all NHL teams get so much money to spend on draft choice free agents...if a team wants to blow their wad on one player so be it...players I think will go to a place(team) where they will have a good chance at cracking the line up in a season or two rather than be hemmed(caged) in by the 7 yr wait for UFA! PS The NHL is not seriously considering having the 2021 and 2022 in the same year are they?Hoping Shane Wright goes to Seattle Kraken in 2022

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
US WHL division set to start the shorten season march 19th. Portland Winterhawks will play in Washington state if Oregon won't allow them to play in their own arena.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I like the idea of a double draft. Adds a really fun dynamic to the double draft year, brings so much excitement to watching teams turn their fortunes around. Could you imagine a team like Ottawa suddenly getting 2 lottery picks? Bam, team has hope again.

Lol, forget hope, think playoffs and borderline upcoming dynasty. Adding Wright/Lambert(18), Sanderson(20) and Beniers/Power/Hughes(19) in one offseason on a roster that already has Stutzle(21), Tkachuk(23), Chabot(25), Batherson (24), Norris(23), Brannstrom(23) in their/entering primes. Not to mention Pinto, JBD, Formenton, Logan Brown and bunch others.

Would be nuts.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The WJCs this year start on Sunday, December 26th, 2021 and end on Wednesday, January 5th, 2022. Couldn't we just have the "2021 Draft" on Saturday and Sunday January 8th and 9th, 2022? Then pick up the regularly scheduled 2022 Draft at it's normal time in June of 2022?

I mean, the 2020 draft was delayed like three months anyway. This is really just an additional three month delay, that gets made up by having the next draft six months after that.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The WJCs this year start on Sunday, December 26th, 2021 and end on Wednesday, January 5th, 2022. Couldn't we just have the "2021 Draft" on Saturday and Sunday January 8th and 9th, 2022? Then pick up the regularly scheduled 2022 Draft at it's normal time in June of 2022?

I mean, the 2020 draft was delayed like three months anyway. This is really just an additional three month delay, that gets made up by having the next draft six months after that.

My guess would be that no one involved (team management, scouts, players, media, the league, etc) would want to throw a draft right in the middle of the season, because of the amount of prep work needed, and how it would take personnel away from their normal duties in the middle of the season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My guess would be that no one involved (team management, scouts, players, media, the league, etc) would want to throw a draft right in the middle of the season, because of the amount of prep work needed, and how it would take personnel away from their normal duties in the middle of the season.
I wonder which they would choose; spend the majority of the holiday break prepping for the draft or just have an uniformed draft six month earlier, during the offseason, where they haven't have much of a look. I'm not saying it's an easy choice. I honestly wonder what they'd prefer.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Well I have an idea...all NHL teams get so much money to spend on draft choice free agents...if a team wants to blow their wad on one player so be it...players I think will go to a place(team) where they will have a good chance at cracking the line up in a season or two rather than be hemmed(caged) in by the 7 yr wait for UFA! PS The NHL is not seriously considering having the 2021 and 2022 in the same year are they?Hoping Shane Wright goes to Seattle Kraken in 2022

Yes, they are. It might not happen but they are certainly considering it.

Seattle will have a very high chance to draft first in 2021, but in 2022 it will depend on their record. They could get two first overall picks, or 4rd and 21th.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yes, they are. It might not happen but they are certainly considering it.

Seattle will have a very high chance to draft first in 2021, but in 2022 it will depend on their record. They could get two first overall picks, or 4rd and 21th.
So lets say Seattle falls on their collective faces in year 1...how do they sell the 4th and 21st pick to the Fans...looks like a PR disaster waiting to happen

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Lol, forget hope, think playoffs and borderline upcoming dynasty. Adding Wright/Lambert(18), Sanderson(20) and Beniers/Power/Hughes(19) in one offseason on a roster that already has Stutzle(21), Tkachuk(23), Chabot(25), Batherson (24), Norris(23), Brannstrom(23) in their/entering primes. Not to mention Pinto, JBD, Formenton, Logan Brown and bunch others.

Would be nuts.
Like how Lafreniere ended up in New York...Ottawa is not high on the NHL's list of trying to make into a dynasty...New York is though

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

Would be nuts.

Two major issue is gonna be how do we

1. Give them playing time

2. Deal with the contract situation.

I think we would probably give the picks extra time to develop and spread their contracts out more.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So lets say Seattle falls on their collective faces in year 1...how do they sell the 4th and 21st pick to the Fans...looks like a PR disaster waiting to happen

The 2022 pick would depend on how they do in the season(like every other team) So if they fall on their faces in year 1 it would be more like 4th and 3rd, both picks lottery dependant obviously.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Elliotte Fridman from 31 Thoughts outlined some of challenges with moving the draft. Link is below.

Some teams suggested December. I loved an idea of two drafts several days apart in Montreal during June 2022, although a few execs said they hate it because they’d rather concentrate on one set of prospects for a few months before moving to the next age group.
There are, however, significant hurdles to overcome.“Keeping the current draft date is unfair to players who haven’t played, and to clubs who haven’t seen them,” player agent Ian Pulver said. “But if we’re going to move the draft, the (NHL/NHLPA) should come up with a formula that’s fair across the board. The rights retention of a player should be adjusted accordingly.”
According to multiple sources, the chances of the draft being delayed took a turn for the worse late last week. Those two words — “rights retention” — are right at the heart of it.
There’s a laundry list of issues that the NHL and NHLPA would need to settle. Here are two of the most challenging:
• Would players drafted in December 2021 who make the NHL receive credit for a full service year towards arbitration and/or unrestricted free agency?
• A player taken from the CHL — and not signed within two years — goes back in the draft (as long as he is not older than 20). Will 2021–22 count as one season, even if the player is not selected until December 2021 or June 2022? This is even more challenging with 19-year-olds, since they cannot be re-drafted under this scenario.​
Negotiating these issues isn’t the grind of a full CBA, but it’s challenging. The league can’t unilaterally say, “We’re moving this.” Nothing comes without some kind of concession. And, again, word seeping out last week was there isn’t the will for what it might take to get there.

31 Thoughts: When will the 2021 NHL Entry Draft take place?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
So just wondering what happens if the pandemic continues for another year. Will they have 3 drafts in 2023?
I find it hard to believe they will delay this year's draft with no certainty when society normalizes. They should plan as if the pandemic will continue.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So just wondering what happens if the pandemic continues for another year. Will they have 3 drafts in 2023?
I find it hard to believe they will delay this year's draft with no certainty when society normalizes. They should plan as if the pandemic will continue.
If one of the stumbling blocks is this reduction of service time from 7 to 6 years to UFA, then I don't see NHL teams wanting to do that. Impact is that too many guys would be in the NHL at age 20 thus being UFA at age 26 vs 27.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IIRC OHL is going to get approval for a 2month mini-season.

Highly doubt they skip the draft this year. I also can't see the NHLPA agreeing to that.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
If one of the stumbling blocks is this reduction of service time from 7 to 6 years to UFA, then I don't see NHL teams wanting to do that. Impact is that too many guys would be in the NHL at age 20 thus being UFA at age 26 vs 27.

Its probably something the league should conisder though. As the league gets younger players are finding their primes at a younger age. Those long term UFA deals would be better served to sign at 25 than 28

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Postponing the 2021 draft is one thing, but postponing it past the start of 2021/22 season creates nontrivial CBA issues. Is it really worth it? Yes, lack of scouting opportunities will make it more of a crapshoot than it already is, but I see nothing fundamentally wrong with a little more crapshoot.

I think some team's draft outcome will be better with less scouting just by sheer luck, but it could be an interesting performance evaluation conversation.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Postponing the 2021 draft is one thing, but postponing it past the start of 2021/22 season creates nontrivial CBA issues. Is it really worth it? Yes, lack of scouting opportunities will make it more of a crapshoot than it already is, but I see nothing fundamentally wrong with a little more crapshoot.

I think some team's draft outcome will be better with less scouting just by sheer luck
, but it could be an interesting performance evaluation conversation.

This is how I see it. The draft process is fickle enough so I don't see why with a more limited viewing than usual, that this draft needs to take place any time after the start of the 2021-22 season... Let alone next June. All leagues will have played an acceptable sample size of games for scouting.

Playing the devil's advocate to not being able to scout enough, well, honestly some scouts over-analyze players a lot too. Over-valuing offensive upside in someone like Michael McLeod (wouldn't have touched him on draft day anywhere near #12), but undervaluing a guy like Jakob Chychrun when they picked apart his game way too much (despite early injury concerns).

Reactions: theVladiator

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its probably something the league should conisder though. As the league gets younger players are finding their primes at a younger age. Those long term UFA deals would be better served to sign at 25 than 28
That is likely too big a bargaining chip for the owners to give up for a draft. I do agree that players are finding their primes earlier and we are seeing a lot of good players decline a couple of years earlier. But, the owners won't trade a lower UFA age unless they gets something more in the CBA such as shorter term contracts or lower buyouts.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
That is likely too big a bargaining chip for the owners to give up for a draft. I do agree that players are finding their primes earlier and we are seeing a lot of good players decline a couple of years earlier. But, the owners won't trade a lower UFA age unless they gets something more in the CBA such as shorter term contracts or lower buyouts.

Right, but I think in the long run this would work in their favor as the money they invest in the UFA market will have higher returns, and if they parlayed this into also having less expensive buyouts it would be a win win for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad