TSN Dreger: 2021 Draft may get pushed to 2022

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Insider Trading: NHL considering pushing back draft - TSN.ca

Link above, text below

Darren Dreger: It sure sounds like that; there’s ongoing conversations at the NHL level, hockey operations, the National Hockey League is deeply involved, the commissioner’s office will get involved as well. I will say this, there’s no guarantee that the NHL is going to host the draft in July. Now, there’s lots of talk across the National Hockey League about the draft being pushed from 2021 – this summer – to 2022 – the summer – and the NHL hosting back-to-back drafts. NHL general managers are very much in favour of this and you got to think the 2021 draft eligible players would also be in favour of it, given the fact a majority of these kids aren’t playing hockey right now. But, keep in mind this is a CBA-related issue, the NHLPA is not involved yet, but they will have to get involved if there’s change.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I get it.. but I'd be really fascinated to see which teams are successful in a weird draft like that. Might end up being mostly luck if it happens this season, which also kind of sounds fun.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
What happened to the idea of a big showcase tournament? That sounded awesome.
100% with you...think they have to schedule the draft first. If it gets pushed to 2022, maybe less of a need for a tournament. I don't know.

For those that need a fix, BU vs BC tonight at 7pm eastern.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
This seems so bush league to me. Would any other professional league do this?
How many other professional sports draft 17 year olds across multiple different leagues and countries? Football = NCAA, basketball = 1 year minimum NCAA or pro-league (more coverage). Not sure on soccer and baseball.

I honestly think back to back drafts would be amazing, tons of coverage and allows more some creative trades if a GM wants to target specific players from different draft years.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
This actually makes a lot of sense for this year. Helps that there's no McDavid level prospect who will clearly be NHL ready too.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
The game is evolving to skills more and more so the draft age doesn't need to change. There's more room out there (and opportunity with 32 teams).

The idea of postponing the draft sounds unprofessional. There's a book an inch thick on these kids before they can shave today. GM's should just do their job.

Draft!

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Always propping up Ottawa and Buffalo...

We arent getting hosed if I'm reading this right.

One of those back to back drafts pick order will get based on this seasons results. The other will be based on next seasons results.

Ya I guess if your expecting to grab a player that will step into your lineup immediately after the draft, this would be a bummer. But no one should ever plan on a roster spot being filled by a yet to be drafted prospect.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
How many other professional sports draft 17 year olds across multiple different leagues and countries? Football = NCAA, basketball = 1 year minimum NCAA or pro-league (more coverage). Not sure on soccer and baseball.

I honestly think back to back drafts would be amazing, tons of coverage and allows more some creative trades if a GM wants to target specific players from different draft years.

Soccer players are usually not drafted and are in some cases signed for millions long before the age of 18. MLB players can be drafted out of high school and many are. International players in the MLB can also be signed earlier for example the Jays signed Vladdy Jr at 16. The NBA rule was created essentially to give the NCAA a monopoly on top end players for at least a year, and in most cases players oppose the rule, there have been rumblings that it will be abolished in the coming few seasons.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Soccer players are usually not drafted and are in some cases signed for millions long before the age of 18. MLB players can be drafted out of high school and many are. International players in the MLB can also be signed earlier for example the Jays signed Vladdy Jr at 16. The NBA rule was created essentially to give the NCAA a monopoly on top end players for at least a year, and in most cases players oppose the rule, there have been rumblings that it will be abolished in the coming few seasons.

The system in soccer/Association football is very different than most North American sports, from the youth leagues to the pros. But players can sign with pro teams' academy teams in their early teens (kind of like US NTDP...but at club level and often with younger kids) and can sign professionally at age 16 in most countries.

I think age-18 is right age here. I do think the relationship with the CHL and NHL should loosened however and players given more say in their futures. I also think NHL should work with NCAA to allow players from CHL and international leagues, especially if NCAA is adopting new standards for compensating student-athletes.

Also, if they moved draft to age-19, and essentially just skipped the 2021 draft, that wouldn't be fair to bad teams this year. So, you'd have to otherwise compensate weaker teams. Last year, the worst 7 teams had to endure 10-month layoffs (and got rewarded three (3!) extra practice days). It would be terribly unjust to punish the teams at the bottom of the standings again by taking their high picks away.

Reactions: Insidefi

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
id like to see the draft aged raised. The idea that most picks need 3 to 4 years to be be pro ready tells me the draft age is too young.

so screw CHL players then... Cause they have no options in NA until they are 20 to really advance their careers due to that CHL, NHL agreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->