TSN Dreger: 2021 Draft may get pushed to 2022

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Again, the solution they're thinking about is a back to back draft in 2022. One draft would have the 2021 draft eligible players, who would be 19 by then, and it would be based on the 2021 standings. One draft would have the 2022 draft eligible players, and it would be a normal 2022 draft without overagers.

I think that's a lot more viable than aggregating points for one draft, or using the COVID situation to change the age limit permanently.

I think increasing the draft age to 19 will be a bigger headache than delaying the draft a year. It would screw all 18 year olds that if they are CHL even more screwed by making them wait even longer again since they are stuck in the CHL as it relates to other pro NA hockey leagues until they are 20. To be honest i am not sure if the league can really legally do that
(Sherman act and the Canadain equivalent law in regards to limiting competition for players) and restrict CHL 18 year old players even more.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Just do it over the internet
That isn't the issue at all. Teams are worried that because many of the players haven't played games in almost a year they wont be able to scout properly for this draft. Players and agents are also worried because not getting to play means a lot of guys who may have had great years and moved up in the draft will be overlooked.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That isn't the issue at all. Teams are worried that because many of the players haven't played games in almost a year they wont be able to scout properly for this draft. Players and agents are also worried because not getting to play means a lot of guys who may have had great years and moved up in the draft will be overlooked.

Having back to back drafts the 2021 pool will get overshadowed by the stronger better pool of players by the 2022 draft. Aka 2022 draft pool player better chance since its the stronger draft to get on the NHL squad right away than a 2021 draft player. It really doesn't help the 2021 players by pushing it back a year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Again, the solution they're thinking about is a back to back draft in 2022. One draft would have the 2021 draft eligible players, who would be 19 by then, and it would be based on the 2021 standings. One draft would have the 2022 draft eligible players, and it would be a normal 2022 draft without overagers.

I think that's a lot more viable than aggregating points for one draft, or using the COVID situation to change the age limit permanently.

Yup.

2 separate drafts. I love it as a Sens fan :)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Um... because one pick is less than two picks? If you’re bad for two seasons, you deserve two picks, not one pick.
I don't get that. Why would you deserve 2 picks? Every single team would have 1 pick. There is literally no disadvantage. And you get to draft the same players available for 2021 but just one year later. If you are bad for 2 seasons you would have the top prospect available.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't get that. Why would you deserve 2 picks? Every single team would have 1 pick. There is literally no disadvantage. And you get to draft the same players available for 2021 but just one year later.

Because losing out on a 1st overall pick is much worse than losing out on a 26th overall pick? Because taking a first round pick away from every team is screwing the teams whose picks are more valuable (at the top of the draft). I don’t know why this is so hard to understand.

Reactions: KapG

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Because losing out on a 1st overall pick is much worse than losing out on a 26th overall pick? Because taking a first round pick away from every team is screwing the teams whose picks are more valuable (at the top of the draft). I don’t know why this is so hard to understand.
First this season is not even conventional (only intra division games) so from the beginning it's not even reflective of how bad all teams are truly are. Second, if you still sucks next year you still get the top player. I don't see it more fair if a team that do poorly in this truly not real season should be even "rewarded" with a top pick (more so with the lottery in the picture).

The point is that the NHL should have pushed the eligibility to 19 years a long time ago but it is hard to do and now with this covid season it is the perfect opportunity to do it. Bad teams would still get top prospect and the eligible prospects would have a true season to show their worth.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
First this season is not even conventional (only intra division games) so from the beginning it's not even reflective of how bad all teams are truly are. Second, if you still sucks next year you still get the top player. I don't see it more fair if a team that do poorly in this truly not real season should be even "rewarded" with a top pick (more so with the lottery in the picture).

The point is that the NHL should have pushed the eligibility to 19 years a long time ago but it is hard to do and now with this covid season it is the perfect opportunity to do it.

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you’re a fan of a contending team. I’m a fan of a lottery team. And I would be absolutely livid if the draft were canceled. My team is bad this year and it’s going to be just as bad next year. I want 2 (two) foundational pieces from the NHL draft as a result of that suckage. That is two years of shit I have to suffer through and you think I’m gonna be okay with one pick from it? I really don’t know how this doesn’t make sense to you.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you’re a fan of a contending team. I’m a fan of a lottery team. And I would be absolutely livid if the draft were canceled. My team is bad this year and it’s going to be just as bad next year. I want 2 (two) foundational pieces from the NHL draft as a result of that suckage. That is two years of shit I have to suffer through and you think I’m gonna be okay with one pick from it? I really don’t know how this doesn’t make sense to you.
So what happen if your team next year is suddenly a contending team you would still benefit from having a better than your rank prospect because of the aggregate 2 years ranking. The NHL is very competitive and this season format is crap from the get go and truly not representative of how bad some teams are it would actually be quite idiotic itself to grade NHL teams based on playing only against the same 7/8 teams.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So what happen if your team next year is suddenly a contending team you would still benefit from having a better than your rank prospect because of the aggregate 2 years ranking. The NHL is very competitive and this season format is crap from the get go and truly not representative of how bad some teams are it would actually be quite idiotic itself to grade NHL teams based on playing only against the same 7/8 teams.

You fundamentally do not understand how the value of draft picks works. Would you rather have a 1st overall pick and a 30th overall pick or a single 15th overall pick? If you would pick the former, then you must understand what I’ve been saying. If you pick the latter...

Reactions: Goose of Reason

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You fundamentally do not understand how the value of draft picks works. Would you rather have a 1st overall pick and a 30th overall pick or a single 15th overall pick? If you would pick the former, then you must understand what I’ve been saying. If you pick the latter...
Again what is the value of a 1st overall in shortened season again only the same 7/8 teams. Certainly not representative either. Also in your hypothetical scenario the team would have made the final and get a mid first round pick they should be ecstatic about that! As for the double asset versus one asset argument it would apply for ALL teams so there are no inherent advantage. Nor would it mater prospect wise since it would technically remain the exact same draft class as this year but one year older so not disadvantage on the players either.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

The weird thing is almost every single player is playing somewhere right now. Even the WHL and OHL kids are going elsewhere to play. What they are more worried about is scouts not being able to see these kids in person with most people playing out of the country and in places where attendance isn't allowed.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018

Everyone who’s replying in this thread should read the above first, which makes 95% of the discussion here moot.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Having back to back drafts the 2021 pool will get overshadowed by the stronger better pool of players by the 2022 draft. Aka 2022 draft pool player better chance since its the stronger draft to get on the NHL squad right away than a 2021 draft player. It really doesn't help the 2021 players by pushing it back a year.

Im not sure I follow the logic here. Wouldn’t the players from the 2021 draft have the advantage because they’re older and more physically developed than the 2022 draft?

Or are you saying the players available in the 2022 draft are a much better group of players who would have been able to make the jump to the NHL either way?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It's a bad thing because it skews the draft.

The 2021 Draft would be too advantaged compared to the 2022 Draft because there would be more certainties on the players and a much longer list of eligible players.. How could we deal with players who are in their second (or more) year of eligibility ? The 2022 draft could not include players born before September 16, 2003.

Considering that productive players under 19 are extremely rare in NHL, it would be better to take the opportunity not to draft this year and shift rights by one year. The next draft would take place in 2022 and would be open to all players born between 2000 and 2003.

In addition, I find the measure unnecessary. We already know, in general terms, the names of the 200 eligible players who will be selected.
Only the WHL and OHL leagues did not start and many eligible players played in other leagues.
There is also no indication that the situation will not get stuck in Canada next year.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I like the idea of a double draft. Adds a really fun dynamic to the double draft year, brings so much excitement to watching teams turn their fortunes around. Could you imagine a team like Ottawa suddenly getting 2 lottery picks? Bam, team has hope again.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's a bad thing because it skews the draft.

The 2021 Draft would be too advantaged compared to the 2022 Draft because there would be more certainties on the players and a much longer list of eligible players.. How could we deal with players who are in their second (or more) year of eligibility ? The 2022 draft could not include players born before September 16, 2003.

Considering that productive players under 19 are extremely rare in NHL, it would be better to take the opportunity not to draft this year and shift rights by one year. The next draft would take place in 2022 and would be open to all players born between 2000 and 2003.

In addition, I find the measure unnecessary. We already know, in general terms, the names of the 200 eligible players who will be selected.
Only the WHL and OHL leagues did not start and many eligible players played in other leagues.
There is also no indication that the situation will not get stuck in Canada next year.

So everyone loses a year of draft picks... I don't think so. then if things get stuck in canada again cancel another year of draft picks... Good lord... I don' think so.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I like the idea of a double draft. Adds a really fun dynamic to the double draft year, brings so much excitement to watching teams turn their fortunes around. Could you imagine a team like Ottawa suddenly getting 2 lottery picks? Bam, team has hope again.

Imagine dropping 8 spots in the draft lottery in one year? Would be amazing

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think increasing the draft age to 19 will be a bigger headache than delaying the draft a year. It would screw all 18 year olds that if they are CHL even more screwed by making them wait even longer again since they are stuck in the CHL as it relates to other pro NA hockey leagues until they are 20. To be honest i am not sure if the league can really legally do that
(Sherman act and the Canadain equivalent law in regards to limiting competition for players) and restrict CHL 18 year old players even more.
The NHL was going to make WHA players under the age of 20 go back to Juniors,but some lawyer said no,no!!!That was back in 1979 I believe and we've had a 18 year draft since! Its true that a majority of players don't turn pro until 20...so the Players Association needs to needs to push for a 2-3 round draft with the rest Free Agents so players can choose their employer...that and only a 4 year term of NHL/AHL duty before becoming a UFA!

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Why as a sens fan would I want to combine the draft? We are last in the league and need another high end pick. Combing the draft doesn’t do much for us tbh. Have the drafts on separate dates in 2022 like i earlier suggested. That said allow for those who are on their last year of junior eligibility to sign at the end of 2021 season.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
The NHL was going to make WHA players under the age of 20 go back to Juniors,but some lawyer said no,no!!!That was back in 1979 I believe and we've had a 18 year draft since! Its true that a majority of players don't turn pro until 20...so the Players Association needs to needs to push for a 2-3 round draft with the rest Free Agents so players can choose their employer...that and only a 4 year term of NHL/AHL duty before becoming a UFA!

If players outside the top three rounds are free agents then it favors popular teams attracting talent, which goes against league parity, one of the most important things for the NHL to generate revenue. In that world, New York, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Minnesota and other similar teams would have such an edge over franchises like Arizona and Winnipeg that it would not be fair.

And if UFA happens in only 4 years, NHL owners would push for greater share of HRR and/or non-guaranteed contracts.

Simply put, those ideas are not gonna happen anytime soon.

What will happen though is that in June 2022 one of Hughes, Power, Clarke, Beniers, Guenther and such will get drafted first overall in the 2021 delayed draft, which will go 7-rounds as usual.

Then, less than two weeks later the 2022 NHL draft will take place, leading to Shane Wright getting selected first overall, followed by the very same process we're familiar with.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Seems like it's the better idea to me.

A big tournament could also work but you can't really evaluate players on 4-5 games.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It would lead to some really cool trades. Could you imagine having the 1oa pick traded got the 2oa pick? Or multiple picks traded to get 1oa? Or a team stacking one draft over another?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad