TSN: Canada's list of invited players

Status
Not open for further replies.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
looooob said:
that's fine. I'm not saying its true every year. but there aren't exactly alot of 2005 draftees on the team, are there?

Nop there isn't... anyway, I still feel Bernier, Picard, Pouliot, maybe Roussin, maybe Ellis should have been invited to the camp. Bernier and Picard could have make the team. When you look at the team, there isn't a lot of scorers... if a top-six forward get injured, Canada is in trouble.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
markov` said:
Just wait for 2005's draft.

... and the 2006 and 2007 WJC teams will reflect the strong group of 2005-eligible Quebec players. The 2005 team reflects the total superiority of WHL talent in the 2003 and 2004 drafts. This is how it works, and if you don't get that so be it.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
Nop there isn't... anyway, I still feel Bernier, Picard, Pouliot, maybe Roussin, maybe Ellis should have been invited to the camp. Bernier and Picard could have make the team. When you look at the team, there isn't a lot of scorers... if a top-six forward get injured, Canada is in trouble.

I agree you can make good cases for these guys. the way I see it, it looks like in the end they would have been cut anyways(right or wrong is a different matter)...instead some WHL forwards will be cut

is that right, or wrong? I dunno. but in a few weeks no-one will remember who was at the selection camp...its the TEAM that we'll remember.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
markov` said:

I think you underrate the scoring ability of these guys as junior level players in a junior tournament.

You can easily make 4 lines that have a very acceptable scoring ability from those names.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Matt MacInnis said:
I'm incredibly frustrated by the lack of Steve Bernier being named to this camp. He is a much better player than 3-4 of the forwards who were awarded spots.

Everyone needs to stop the Bernier arguing. He is a great player like so many others that aren't invited BUT alot of these WHL guys will be cut.

McArthur wont make it, Fraser wont make it, I dont even think Stone will
I would have liked to see Brule on this team.
I havent decided who i'd want to be our number 1 goalie yet either.

I'll put my team up
Crosby -- Perry -- Fehr
Richards -- Stewart -- Dawes
Bergeron -- Carter -- Getzlaf
Colliton -- Dixon -- Bolland
Ladd

Phaneuf -- Weber
Seabrooke -- Coburn
Belle -- Barker
Picard

Dubnyk
Glass

just what I think based on the selection camp roster

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I think you underrate the scoring ability of these guys as junior level players in a junior tournament.

You can easily make 4 lines that have a very acceptable scoring ability from those names.

I don't think any of Meyer, Boyd, MacArthur, Fraser and Ladd will have any offensive impact at the international level.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
markov` said:
I don't think any of Meyer, Boyd, MacArthur, Fraser and Ladd will have any offensive impact at the international level.

If Ladd plays on a line with Getzlaf and has chemistry, he will score. The others aren't be chosen for their scoring prowess. They are there to be energy and grinding players. The kind that suprisingly enough, have all been very successful for Canada in the past.

They all can score, they just score in their own ways.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
markov` said:
I've seen Ladd several times and I sincerely hate him. The others, I've only seen them against Russia.

Then it's safe to say you aren't exactly informed about these players. You aren't particularly qualified to comment on their skill level or how well they match up against some of their OHL and QMJHL counterparts.

Let's face it, there's probably not very many people who have seen enough games from each of the 3 leagues to have an informed opinion on the matter. This thread involves a lot of people talking out of the butts about WHLers they really don't know.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Perhaps not everyone here realizes that MacArthur is 6th in scoring in the Dub and that Meyer is 15th.

Both these guys are putting up great point totals this year.

I'm not saying they can't score, I am sayign that wont be their main role. They will be instructed to shut down first, and scoring is a bonus.

But I also think people are overlooking their scoring ability. Especially when some are suggesting Dany Roussin should be at the camp :shakehead

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Who would seriously think that all this fury generated by the selection isn't justified?

Who, which a little common sense, would think for one second that nothing is wrong here?

You know what, I do suggest that Alex Bourret deserved an invitation (see http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7408&mode=threaded&order=0) As well as Brule.

The organization is so desesperated of not having won for so many years, it forgot that common sense requires preparing next year appearance. A few 18 YO should have been in the roster.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
the QJMHL is a bush league .. it is not on the same planet than the WHL ...
if bernier,pouliot,picard were playing in the WHL they will be healthy scratch..
watch out for Fraser to break out and outscore ''QJMHL'' surperstar crosby !!
also Dubnyk is a monster .. he's 6'6 and fast like a cat + he's playing in the WHL .. no way he can not make the team and blank each team he'll face...
look at the Q goalie like Fleury that just ... chocked last year ... it's always the same QJMHL player are small and soft ! if you want to win you need big strong western forward !!

my complain:
why is crosby,dixon,picard and bergeron invited???... they should have selected Brule,Klassen,Gagnon and Horton ...

an angry WHL fan!
If i look at the past memorial cup the Q was right there with the OHL and WHL. The style is just different. But Bush league? thats just being ignorant.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
markov` said:

You underrate them in this case, IMO. Also, chances are few of those guys will make it anyway. Keep in mind this list is for the selection process. All the guys you named are very decent and the rest of the squad is frankly impressive.

Not only do I think you are wrong to saw the top 2 lines will be in trouble offensively if injuries happen, I actually think all the lines will have decent scoring, even with an injury or two.

That being said, it's going to be a Sutter team. They're going to play two-way hockey anyway. All Canada need is to find the right goalie and they should be very competitive and well-rounded.

Andrew Ladd works extremely well with Getzlaf. Plus, he has very decent skill level. I don't know why you hate him. Sounds weird. I think he has a good chance of making it and being very useful.

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
Brule is still young and he will get his chance next yr. I figured Crosby would be the only 87
player and he is well deserving of this honour. Good Luck Canada, awesome team!! Someone
has to be positive. :handclap:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
gmdevils said:
Well there certainly seems to be quite a bit of anger or resentment over the WHL bias in the the list. But ultimately this is Brent Sutter's team and his decision. And it will be easy to judge him on January 4th whether it was the right decision or not. Personally I like it. You know he's going to take a beating in the media for selecting mainly WHL guys if they don't bring back gold. But its the way he believes he can win, and he's going to stick with the guys he feels he can trust. And I respect the man for that.

If I had to guess on a roster now after the announcement of the selection camp roster I'd go with something like (I don't actually know the positions these guys can play, mostly guessing)

Dawes Richards Stewart
Getzlaf Carter Perry
Bergeron Crosby Fehr
Stone Colliton Fraser
Bolland

Defense
Phaneuf Weber
Coburn Seabrook
Barker Belle
Green/Syvret

Goaltending
Kevin Nastiuk
Rejean Beauchemin

I'm pretty happy with the look of that roster, except the goaltending to me seems a little questionable. Maybe a couple guys (Picard, Bernier) were slighted, but at the same time the amount of talent that is available to our team is outstanding. Personally I'm more upset that Keenan didn't give up Horton than I am about the Q guys not getting invited.
List a reason or two why Dixon (maybe their best pk'er) would be cut.

gmdevils

Well, first of all, I was going with my gut that Sutter is going to pick his guy Fraser to round out the squad. I think that Stone, Bolland and Colliton can kill penalties just as well as Dixon, while providing more offense. I wasn't impressed by Dixon at last years WJC... not that he did a terrible job, but he didn't impress me. And finally the guys that I have beating out Dixon for that job (Stone, Colliton, Fraser, Bolland ) were all 2nd or 3rd round picks, while Dixon was a 7th.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
You underrate them in this case, IMO. Also, chances are few of those guys will make it anyway. Keep in mind this list is for the selection process. All the guys you named are very decent and the rest of the squad is frankly impressive.

Not only do I think you are wrong to saw the top 2 lines will be in trouble offensively if injuries happen, I actually think all the lines will have decent scoring, even with an injury or two.

That being said, it's going to be a Sutter team. They're going to play two-way hockey anyway. All Canada need is to find the right goalie and they should be very competitive and well-rounded.

Andrew Ladd works extremely well with Getzlaf. Plus, he has very decent skill level. I don't know why you hate him. Sounds weird. I think he has a good chance of making it and being very useful.

It's a Sutter team. That's why I worry about their offense. Sure they got plenty of potential, but when you look at it, if you keep the Stewart - Richards - Dawes lines, you'll have trouble to find playmaking/scoring/strenght abilities on each line.

As for Ladd, well, I feel he's a good all around guy but the stats he had last year were mainly because of Getzlaf. Even this year, he's struggling badly, with only 23 points in 31 games.

Guys... maybe the WHL is much better than the Q, but Andrew Ladd is #38 in the WHL scoring. Guys like Bourret already have 45 points...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
markov` said:
It's a Sutter team. That's why I worry about their offense. Sure they got plenty of potential, but when you look at it, if you keep the Stewart - Richards - Dawes lines, you'll have trouble to find playmaking/scoring/strenght abilities on each line.

As for Ladd, well, I feel he's a good all around guy but the stats he had last year were mainly because of Getzlaf. Even this year, he's struggling badly, with only 23 points in 31 games.

Guys... maybe the WHL is much better than the Q, but Andrew Ladd is #38 in the WHL scoring. Guys like Bourret already have 45 points...
That is what gets me every year.....in Halifax Horton, Staal and Colburn get left off......only because of their age. Players like Bourret and Brule should never have been left off this team. I would even argue that Little get some more attention based on his OHL/Russia games. Bertram outplayed Brule at the under 18, thats another name that could garner attention...he is playing vs college players. It is likely he won't garner attention next year either.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
I've seen Ladd several times and I sincerely hate him. The others, I've only seen them against Russia.
well I must say I'm confused

you don't think Boyd can score at the international level
you've only see him play one game

that one game was against RUSSIA (international level) and he scored 2 points.

I don't think Boyd makes this team in the end, but what did you want from him that one game you watched??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad