TSN: Canada's list of invited players

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
This is without a doubt the year of the WHL. The deck was stacked in their favor thanks to great talent+Sutter. They're so packed, guys like Brule didn't even make the camp. Heck, Clayton Stoner didn't even make the Russia challenge despite the split squad for the two games, and he wipes the floor with almost any QMJHL defenseman. He's also statistically very impressive, since you put a lot of weight on that (16 points in 17 games).

Clay is constantly getting shafted in terms of recognition. This is nothing new. The guy has the best PPG on the Ams (Belle's team for those unaware) and since coming back from his knee injury has been one of the best all around defencemen in the WHL (and maybe much more). Yet he didn't seem to even get a lick of a mention for the Russia Challenge, furthermore this.

It seems odd. Alex Picard (D) gets an invite to this when there are probably 5-8 guys I'd think are easily ahead of him, but none of the fringe Q forwards got on it.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
Clay is constantly getting shafted in terms of recognition. This is nothing new. The guy has the best PPG on the Ams (Belle's team for those unaware) and since coming back from his knee injury has been one of the best all around defencemen in the WHL (and maybe much more). Yet he didn't seem to even get a lick of a mention for the Russia Challenge, furthermore this.

It seems odd. Alex Picard (D) gets an invite to this when there are probably 5-8 guys I'd think are easily ahead of him, but none of the fringe Q forwards got on it.

As much as I don't argue with the selection, and the fact that Stoner might have been there as well, I think he really deserves to be at camp...maybe not to make the team... but at least to be invited at camp

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'm not trying to say Stoner should have made the team. I was just acknowledging waht Vlad said about the WHL D depth being very good.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Fair Enough...for my part I stil think that PIcard could be a usefull Jack of all trade replacemen D-Man, I was really impressed by him against the Russian squad definetly on of the best players in the tournament :dunno:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh man. What a defense unit. I hope Phaneuf runs someone over again :D

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Oh man. What a defense unit. I hope Phaneuf runs someone over again :D

I'm pretty sure he will and you can most likely take that to the bank. People will be looking out for him but there is always someone skating with their heads down (see Olesz last year).

He just better not get a cheap call against him again.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
markov` said:
Tell me how are Dustin Boyd and Andrew Ladd stars in the WHL. They're both out of the top 20 scoring. Pouliot or Roussin doubled both Boyd and Ladd production this year. Same can be said for Bourret (45 points, Ladd 23 points).

Well you'd have to factor in that Boyd's team is terrible and has only won 2 games all year. I'd say his numbers are pretty darn good for such a horrible team.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Well you'd have to factor in that Boyd's team is terrible and has only won 2 games all year. I'd say his numbers are pretty darn good for such a horrible team.

Just as a note, it's not as if Bourret's team isn't pretty bad as well.

Lewiston is not a strong team. Not 2 wins bad, but still....bad.

12 of 16 in the Q.

But really, I don't care how bad Boyd's team is. He does not deserve to be here over superior players such as Alexandre Picard and Steve Bernier. That said, chances are Boyd doesn't even make the team so its all sort of moot, and, nothing matters if the team wins the tournament.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
PanthersRule said:
How about the Pouliot-Roussin-Crosby line? I bet their chemistry is so great that they'd be able to go up against other top lines even if 2 of the 3 are not AMAIZING.

They were just here 2 nights ago and they gave me heart attacks every time they were on the ice. But i was being more sarcastic with my comment.

I am still trying to understand the Messenger when he says WHL players play better with WHL players.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vlad The Impaler said:
I wouldn't go that far but you could be surprised by how good such a team would be ;)

Anyway, I think chemistry is a good thing if you have high profile players. With equal talent, I'll favor chemistry. But I wouldn't invite pluggers because of chemistry.

There's a huge difference between some 2nd grade hacks and the kind of names that have (possibly) been invited because of chemistry. Most of the players on this roster are high quality enough, chemistry or not. On their own, they are good players, IMO.

I know Vlad, i was being more sarcastic with that post. Chemistry is huge, i like the idea of inviting "2-somes" like Ladd-Getzlaf and guys like that who have played with each other.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Matt MacInnis said:

He just shut down the Rimouski top line and he has been shutting down guys all year. People dont think much of him for some reason. he is also running our PP and scoring at a torrid pace, as well his physical game has picked up.

I think Alex Picard (D) is one of the most underrated prospects.

With that being said, i still dont think he will make it. He will have to battle Weber and Green for the 6 and 7 spots.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
Just as a note, it's not as if Bourret's team isn't pretty bad as well.

Lewiston is not a strong team. Not 2 wins bad, but still....bad.

12 of 16 in the Q.

But really, I don't care how bad Boyd's team is. He does not deserve to be here over superior players such as Alexandre Picard and Steve Bernier. That said, chances are Boyd doesn't even make the team so its all sort of moot, and, nothing matters if the team wins the tournament.

Why was Kris Draper at the WC ?? Kirk Maltby ?? I'd say Paul Kariya is definitely a superior player. Draper & Maltby were chosen over Vincent Lecavalier for crying out loud.

Team Canada would be even less competitive if they just took the 25 top scorers in the CHL. Teams need balance, thats why they have players that play a defensive game as well.

Boyd most likely won't make it anyway but at least he won't kick up a fuss if he does not which is more than I can say about star players that were cut in previous years. A Team full of CHL superstars just cannot win IMO.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Garfield said:
Why was Kris Draper at the WC ?? Kirk Maltby ?? I'd say Paul Kariya is definitely a superior player. Draper & Maltby were chosen over Vincent Lecavalier for crying out loud.

Team Canada would be even less competitive if they just took the 25 top scorers in the CHL. Teams need balance, thats why they have players that play a defensive game as well.

Boyd most likely won't make it anyway but at least he won't kick up a fuss if he does not which is more than I can say about star players that were cut in previous years. A Team full of CHL superstars just cannot win IMO.

They took Draper because he can put the puck in the net as well as check. Bourret can do that.

That is why they didnt take pure checking players. They took checking players who could score.

I think thats what PO'ed most Q fans. They didnt take Bernier, Picard or Bourret, guys who could play on the 4th line and still score.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
That is why they didnt take pure checking players. They took checking players who could score.

And this is somehow different from what they did with this junior team? I don't see how. Colin Fraser is arguably the purest checker chosen and he's almost a point per game and is leading his team in scoring.

ALL the players invited to camp can score.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Flames Draft Watcher said:
And this is somehow different from what they did with this junior team? I don't see how. Colin Fraser is arguably the purest checker chosen and he's almost a point per game and is leading his team in scoring.

ALL the players invited to camp can score.

I didnt say they didnt do that. Fraser is a good choice to fill a need. Just SOME fans felt there were better players to fill that need.

Either way I am cheering for Canada, but when a country has this much talent its hard to please everyone :)

Pedrostallion1

Jun 29, 2004
my stab at a line up

Here is my line up....

Crosby Carter Bergeron
Dawes Richards Stewart
Getzlaf Stone Fehr
Meyer Colliton Dixon

Extra: Fraser

Weber Phaneuf
Barker Coburn
Seabrook Belle

Extra: Syvret

Glass
Dubnyk

I remember Bob McKenzie saying something about Crosby playing wing and am going to go with that and move Carter to center between Sidney and Bergeron. These three are all pretty slick and allows for some versatility in other line combo's.

Dawes Richards & Stewart have played together in the Under 18 and last year at the WJC. It will be the 3rd time in 3 years they play as a line and the way they dominated I can't see this line being broken up - it's perfect...your perfect 2 way center, your big, skilled powerforward and your smaller evasive sniper.

I figured it was either going to be the Wheatkings pair or the Hitmen pair that play together and overall, chemistry wise I will take Stone & Fehr and throw Getzlaf on the wing. Big line with a defensively responsible center. These three have the potential to dominate.

Last combo is an energy, checking type line as usual....I like the way Meyer plays and he can be one of those offensive threat defensive shut down guys, similar to how Stoll was, maybe not quite as defensively responsible but with a little more offensive upside and a little more spunk. Colliton is a player, a leader and a team guy...can't say I remember Dixon all that much but people say he is also an energy player that is good on the PK so he keeps his spot.

My extra guy is tough...really would have liked to see Brule there as with his versatility he could have fit on any line combo in the case of an injury. I am not sure but take Fraser based on the familiarity and the fact he is a Sutter player with his tenacious, energy, team at all costs style of play. In case of injury, Meyer moves up to fill the spot and Fraser takes his 4th line role.

As for the defence...it's self explanatory - Syvret makes the team as a PP guy similar to how Ian White was used and Gorges at the beginning of the tourney last year. Would love to have Mike Green on there but we are just too deep this year on D.

Goalies are another tough one....I originally didn't think they would take Dubnyk but now that he is there I think he has a spot as he will be the "guy" next year. Other goalie is going to be who plays best in camp. Honestly, I am not comfortable with any of them as a starter compared to the comfort of a Fleury (final game last year not withstanding). Actually, they all give me the same feeling as the time Leneveau started in Halifax....like an unsure, uneasy tingle. In any case, I will go with Glass - he has been great this year and has moved ahead statistically of Nastiuk lately....Glass is coming in hot and Nastiuk a little cold due to the Hats sub par play lately. Just a guess though.

Anyways, those are my thoughts...am looking forward to this tourney, the most enjoyable hockey to watch on earth year after year and glad to see TSN is going to air a couple of the exhibition games in Winnipeg starting on the 20th.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Garfield said:

And these players could have brought balance. Picard is better than four or five of the guys taken in EVERY aspect of the game. He's a better goal scorer, play maker, penalty killer, checker, grinder, hitter, whatever.

People like you are missing the point of what I've been saying since the list came out. I don't care what role they're expected to play, they (Picard and to a lesser extent Bernier) should be there over the other "grinders".

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
And these players could have brought balance. Picard is better than four or five of the guys taken in EVERY aspect of the game. He's a better goal scorer, play maker, penalty killer, checker, grinder, hitter, whatever.

People like you are missing the point of what I've been saying since the list came out. I don't care what role they're expected to play, they (Picard and to a lesser extent Bernier) should be there over the other "grinders".

...in your opinion. Just stop stating your opinion as fact, thats all.

In your opinion, Bernier & Picard should be there. IMO, the list is just fine.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:

You seem to think all these "grinders" are just grinders for their teams. Playing the 3rd and 4th line roles. These guys are top players for their teams, in their league and they are physical two-way forwards. They are called grinders because that is the role that they would be used for Team Canada. Nobody will deny that Picard and Bernier are great players, but I will take a physical two-way forward with good numbers from the WHL to play a grinder role on Team Canada over a Q player 99 times out of 100.

Picard and Bernier are could better grinders and checkers than 4 or 5 of these guys, they might look that way in the Q. Sutter wont risk that so he will take players he knows are good checkers, grinders and two-way forwards in the most physical junior league to be on his team. He made the safe decision, and with the depth and scoring returning for the team, it was the right decision.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Roughneck said:
You seem to think all these "grinders" are just grinders for their teams. Playing the 3rd and 4th line roles. These guys are top players for their teams, in their league and they are physical two-way forwards. They are called grinders because that is the role that they would be used for Team Canada. Nobody will deny that Picard and Bernier are great players, but I will take a physical two-way forward with good numbers from the WHL to play a grinder role on Team Canada over a Q player 99 times out of 100.

No I don't. Never have I said these are plug players. I have said they will play the grinding role for team Canada.

If you think Steve Bernier and Alexander Picard are soft players you are mistaken. I don't care where a guy plays. Is Martin Karsums a powerpuff because he's from Latvia? Come on. Where a player plays, or is from, has nothing to do with their physicality.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
No I don't. Never have I said these are plug players. I have said they will play the grinding role for team Canada.

If you think Steve Bernier and Alexander Picard are soft players you are mistaken. I don't care where a guy plays. Is Martin Karsums a powerpuff because he's from Latvia? Come on. Where a player plays, or is from, has nothing to do with their physicality.

But it is safe to sy that a player in the WHL is better suited to take on a physical role in a small tournament because they are so much more used to the high level of physical play.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Roughneck said:
But it is safe to sy that a player in the WHL is better suited to take on a physical role in a small tournament because they are so much more used to the high level of physical play.

Exactly, this is what QMJHL fans fail to realize. WHL checkers are better than QMJHL checkers when it comes to being physical. Plain and simple.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Roughneck said:

I disagree.

A physical player is a physical player no matter where he plays. Whether its the Dub, Latvia, Sweden, Japan, or the Q.

A player who plays a physical game is going to be physical no matter what league he is in.

A guy who finishes all his checks is a guy who finishes all his checks.

You can't try to tell me that an Alexandre Picard (F) who seems to constantly be labelled as Ryan Smyth type of player, is going to suddenly become a powderpuff the second he leaves the Q. That's ridiculous.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Garfield said:
Exactly, this is what QMJHL fans fail to realize. WHL checkers are better than QMJHL checkers when it comes to being physical. Plain and simple.
Western checkers also take more penalties because they are so physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad