TSN: Canada's list of invited players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The Messenger said:
Wait till Sutter cuts Stephen Dixon from the team thinking he has enough returnee's and replaces him with one of his WHL boys probably his own Red Deer foward Fraser to boot .. ... :D

Then you are going to hear Q screaming ...
Actually I heard a rumour that he is going to cut Crosby to take Fraser. :D

littleD

It's great talking about meaningful hockey again. :) I can't wait for the tournament to start, whether Canada wins or not.

And this type of talk is what happens in a country with such a deep list of good players. If some players mentioned that aren't there are invited, we get the same complaints.

It makes me feel bad because each and every year, I just love watching Team Canada play... but this year selections are the worst I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, don't take it overboard or anything...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
markov` said:
And it is clear in my mind that the politics are the main reason why there is just 3 Q guys. Look at the coaching staff... the head coach from the WHL, the two assistants from the OHL. Which league is missing?

You are a baby Markov, plain and simple and I'm getting sick your whining, complaining, etc.

Who cares where the invitees come from as long as Canada wins gold and plays well! Every year in Canada there are debates over who should've been invited to this or that and every year tons of people are upset! Canada has so many players to choose from and everyone has a different outlook on players, teams and chemistry! Get over it!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
HabLover said:
You are a baby Markov, plain and simple and I'm getting sick your whining, complaining, etc.

Who cares where the invitees come from as long as Canada wins gold and plays well! Every year in Canada there are debates over who should've been invited to this or that and every year tons of people are upset! Canada has so many players to choose from and everyone has a different outlook on players, teams and chemistry! Get over it!

I agree .

Some countries have trouble fielding a competive team using all available junior U20 players .. but here in Canada not only are we expect to win all 3 CHL leagues need fair representation on the team or the team is no good .. Strange indeed ..

This year its on a smaller North American Ice Surface and its a Sutter coached team so you are logically going to see a team in his image that he thinks gives Canada the best chance to win ... He sees so little of the Q and its players that it logical that since the WHL is the biggest and toughest of the 3 leagues that it will have the most representation in Sutter image. He is more likely to cut Perry and keep Bolland as that is his type of role player.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I do agree that only 3 Q guys is a bit low. The team also has all 4 of their goaltenders from the WHL, it looks like Canada is going to play a defensive system to win the games. I don't know what to say about that, we have the offense to center the team philosophy around that. Canada also isn't that big of a team, the defensemen average about 6'2 so they are a bit better.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
HabLover said:
Number of checkers, rather then pure scorers???????

What about Mr. Dawes, Fehr, Crosby, Stewart, Bolland, Meyer, Getzlaf, Carter, Bergeron, Ladd, MacArthur, etc.

How can someone make a comment like that?? And I didn't even list the WHL's or the OHL's leading point men this season!

This team will be very good and is built around the returning veterans and the addition Patrice Bergeron! After that, the rest won't get much of the limelight!

I wouldn't call Andrew Ladd or David Bolland pure scorers. I'm certainly not expecting them to be potential first line NHL players. I wouldnt want them creating the sole offense on this team. I see Bolland play a lot, and while he's an excellent player and I love him as a prospect, he's more of a two way reliable guy, who works well offensively with others around him. I think he's a perfect candidate for the checking role. I'd much rather have someone else on one of our scoring lines.

My beef is that I'd rather have more competition among our scoring lines, then competition for our checking spots. I don't want spots just given to guys like Perry, or Macarthur.....I wanted to see guys like Bernier, Picard, Pouliot, Brule, Zajac, whoever can give competition to push these scorers to work harder. That is unless Sutter plans to change things and hopes to go with 2 pure scoring lines, and 2 hard working checking lines who can hopefully support with offense.

I like the offense that some of these "checkers" we currently have can provide us with, because Canada is at its best when that checking line can also try and outscore the line its shutting down.

Personally, I'm just worried about two things here, and I'm sure its the two things others are worried about here, and thus why they are complaining....

1) Canada staying out of the penalty box with the type of players that Canada has chosen for this tournament.

2) Sutter hoping to play a purely defensive style, relying solely on the solid defenseman we will boast, however with a shaky goalie situation, I'm not sure thats a situation I want to play with. Essentially I'm worried about playing a grinding, trap style with shaky goaltending, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I guess we'll see. I just wouldn't be surprised if guys like Corey Perry are cut so that Sutter can mold his team into a tight checking unit.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just an outsiders perspective, but IMO, I only see one potential achilles' heel for Canada, and that's goaltending. The defense is top notch, and the offense very balanced. I'm curious as to what kind of style the team is going to play, although with Sutter at the helm I can only guess.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The Messenger said:
I agree .

This year its on a smaller North American Ice Surface and its a Sutter coached team so you are logically going to see a team in his image that he thinks gives Canada the best chance to win ....

I've heard it is on the larger Olympic size ice surface??

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
markov` said:
And it is clear in my mind that the politics are the main reason why there is just 3 Q guys. Look at the coaching staff... the head coach from the WHL, the two assistants from the OHL. Which league is missing?

... and then there are years like 2000. The head coach is from Quebec, the assistants are from the WHL. No coaches from the OHL, only two OHL players on the squad. The majority of the team is from the QMJHL. It goes both ways. Coaches take the players they're comfortable with. Quit whining.

Most of this team is already pretty much set. Whether Brule and Bernier made the development camp or not, they were still likely to be cut, as are Boyd and Fraser. Who fills a couple spots on the fourth line really won't make that big a difference on a team this good.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Just an outsiders perspective, but IMO, I only see one potential achilles' heel for Canada, and that's goaltending. The defense is top notch, and the offense very balanced. I'm curious as to what kind of style the team is going to play, although with Sutter at the helm I can only guess.

Well, obviously they will preach defence first, as should any team nowadays! But from watching the CHL/Russia challenge games against the WHL and Russia, well, they played awesome and didn't stop shooting pucks, pressuring and taking the body and playing great defence all at the same time!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
Well, obviously they will preach defence first, as should any team nowadays! But from watching the CHL/Russia challenge games against the WHL and Russia, well, they played awesome and didn't stop shooting pucks, pressuring and taking the body and playing great defence all at the same time!

Thanks for the info!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
By team..

Philadelphia - 5
Chicago - 3
Anahiem - 2
Florida - 2
Carolina - 2
Washington - 2
Calgary - 2
Pittsburgh - 2
Edmonton - 1
Ottawa - 1
St. Louis - 1
Atlanta - 1
Detroit - 1
Nashville - 1
Boston - 1
Islanders - 1
Rangers - 1
Buffalo - 1
2005 Eligible - 1
Undrafted - 1

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
sharkyz15 said:
Why has no one been complaingin about the selection of Andrew Ladd ahead of Bernier, Picard and all the other Q's

Andrew Ladd: 31 gp 10 goals 13 assists 23 pts #38 in scoring in the WHL!!!!!!!!!

This guy although a good player hasnt proven that he is more then a one year wonder yet.

The reason he was invited was twofold, IMO. He's from the WHL, Sutter knows him well. And most importantly they're probably going to put him in camp with Getzlaf and hope for good chemistry.

This is one of the key to a good short tournament. Chemistry. If Canada can put a couple of good duos like Fehr/Stone, Getzlaf/Ladd, they could have a quicker start while other lines adjust.

I've seen much worse selections for team Canada in the past. The Q also ran into a hot goalie during the Russia challenge. Didnd't help them look good but hey, that's adversity for you and you have to overcome this.

The WHL was clearly the kickass Canadian squad in that tournament and this year they clearly have the most talent. They were so packed, they actually had a split quad for the two games and still embarassed the Russians.

Someone has mentioned the discipline issue but I thought they mostly responded very well to Russians provoking them. They will do what Sutter asks of them.

Am I completely happy with the squad? No. Do I think this is outrageous? No. I've seen worse. Steve Bernier I really like but I'm not totally convinced he is the right kind of player for a short tournament. He is enigmatic and I don't think you want a player who could take 10 games for his coach to figure him out. I think he could be the best damn player of the whole tournament but could easily be a non-factor too.

I will echo what one or two others have said: I think Stone is underrated. I just like this guy. Lots of intensity and underrated talent. He could be one of the sparkplugs of this team.

It is true also that next year, there may not be much experience on the roster but hey, they want to work this year and they'll manage next year when the problems are there. You gotta ice the squad you think is best. I'm confident that even with inexperience, next squad will be extremely competitive.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
hawksfan50 said:
Bolland will battle Dustin Boyd for the token second "youth" spot after Crosby up front--HOWEVER can you imagine if Canada still falls short by not scoring enough and if Perry is left off the team (because Sutter favours the Dub) or even if he puts perry on and leaves Fehr off? There would be an uproar--therefore,2 of the best pure goal scoreres(Perry and Fehr) must be on the team--BUt Ladd we know works well with Getzlaf and he's a Sutter kind of player--so if all 3 are on the team+
the Dawes Richards,Stewart line+ Crosby and Bergeron,plus Carter and Colliton,and Getzlaf--then that is 11 forwards as locks already...depending on whether they keep 13 or 14 forwards (8 or 7 D-men) then Dixon can be chopped (politically) if they take Q D-man Picard as the 7th or 8th D-man;this means only 1 of Fraser,Meyer,or Stone to make the last 4th line spot if Bolland or Boyd take the 13th spot up front (as a token youth reserve spot) OR 2 of Fraser,Meyer or Stone
make it if Sutter decides an older experienced player in that 13th spot,OR if he goes with 14 forwards and only 7 D-men. Fraser is his guy,but Meyer and Stone are better skaters and goal scorers than his own Fraser.BUT if Sutter does prefer 2 of these 3 instead of just 1 and the Bolland/Boyd "youth" spot,THEN Fraser may bounce out Meyer or Stone for the lcentre spot,and the one of the 2 goes to wing.

Probably it goes this way:

Sutter opts for 8 D-men not 7 ...meaning 13 forwards...

Dawes Richards Stewart
Fehr Crosby Bergeron
Ladd Carter Getzlaf
Perry Fraser Stone
Colliton...(or Bolland/Boyd)

Fraser has played well of late and he did help create numrous chances playing with Boyd in that ganme vs. the Russkies...Stone is better than Boyd as a finisher and Perry of course is better than Brouwer--so you would think Fraser between Perry and Stone should work even better ....This really means that IF Fraser does make the squad as the 4th line centre then the 13th man decision is between Colliton and the youth spot (probably Bolland not Boyd if Fraser is on the squad)---this is the only scenario I see for both Hawks draftees making it up front in a 13 man forward lineup--ie. all 3 of Fehr Ladd and Perry must be on the team and they decide for youth over Colliton--though he(Colliton) may be one of the best players
in terms of skating,effort,and all round play ...If it was me,I would take Colliton for his experience and tremendous skating and PK instead of keeping a "youth spot" for Bolland...But the 13th spot may also be decided by who can play centre best should one of the starting centres go down...Perry I think can move there ,so could Stone,or Fehr--so that detpth may mean no need for Bolland...However the other factor is that the WHL so dominates the total number of spots that they will put an OHL'er in the last spot if the choice is close (hence Bolland over Colliton).

AS for the 8 d-meN:

Phaneuf Weber
Coburn Seabrook
Barker Syvret
Belle Picard

Goal: Let the camp games decide between the 4 ...

There are only 20 skaters on the team. 13 forwards and 7 defenceman not 14 and 7 or 13 and 8 as you mentioned.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
All the makings of a terrific team. Sutter's the best coach in Canadian major junior hockey today, and he's our coach. Up front, this is the best since 1995-96 (the fourth of five gold medals), with the only possible exception being 2001-02. There is so much talent, and with five of six players returning from last year's top two lines (Brent Burns being the only exception), goal scoring won't be a problem.

Defence will be excellent. Phaneuf, Coburn, Seabrooke, Belle are back, and Barker is a star. Weber and Green should fill out the 6 and 7 spots.

Goaltending will be a concern at the start. If it's not up to snuff, it doesn't matter how good the scoring, defence and coaching are. If Nastiuk continues the form he has shown in the Hat this year, it won't be a concern. Would have liked to see Munce invited to camp, if for no other reason he has led his team to a major international title before (2003 WU18).

There will be concerns over the WHL-heavy roster, but let's keep one thing in mind: over the last two years, the WHL has been Canada's class league, especially on the blue line, and that's reflected in the higher draft numbers.

As with any list, there are omissions, notably Bernier, Ladd, Picard, Zajac and Munce, but should Canada win gold, the whining will be silenced, just like the 2004 World Cup.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Brock said:
Personally, I'm just worried about two things here, and I'm sure its the two things others are worried about here, and thus why they are complaining....

1) Canada staying out of the penalty box with the type of players that Canada has chosen for this tournament.

2) Sutter hoping to play a purely defensive style, relying solely on the solid defenseman we will boast, however with a shaky goalie situation, I'm not sure thats a situation I want to play with. Essentially I'm worried about playing a grinding, trap style with shaky goaltending, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I suspect this might be a reason Brule didn't get an invite as he's been a stupid penalty looking for a place to happen this year. If he plays the way at this tourney that he's played in the WHL he'll hurt the team with his discipline.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
the QJMHL is a bush league .. it is not on the same planet than the WHL ...
if bernier,pouliot,picard were playing in the WHL they will be healthy scratch..
watch out for Fraser to break out and outscore ''QJMHL'' surperstar crosby !!
also Dubnyk is a monster .. he's 6'6 and fast like a cat + he's playing in the WHL .. no way he can not make the team and blank each team he'll face...
look at the Q goalie like Fleury that just ... chocked last year ... it's always the same QJMHL player are small and soft ! if you want to win you need big strong western forward !!

my complain:
why is crosby,dixon,picard and bergeron invited???... they should have selected Brule,Klassen,Gagnon and Horton ...

an angry WHL fan!

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well, I think we all know who the token blue line invitees were. Basically added to try and keep a little disparity in the selections from each league. IMO, the top 12 or even 13 defensemen in the country are in the Dub. The 7 are going to be Canada's defense.

Basically, I see the team as thus:

Bergeron---Crosby---Perry
Ladd-------Carter----Getzlaf
Dawes----Richards---Stewart
Fehr-------Stone----Meyer
Colliton

Phaneuf---Weber
Coburn----Barker
Seabrook--Belle
Green

Dubnyk/Nastiuk

I don't know why people are so mad about a player not getting an invite when its clear they wouldn't be selected for the team. Steve Bernier, even without the scoring the team already has, wouldn't be on this team. Sutter is making the best TEAM he thinks he can make using his style.

Habscheid made a team his style would be best for and they got to the final, now Sutter is choosing players he likes for his style who can win gold. There essentially is about 5 spots that were up for contention anyways. Don't all be so shocked and annoyed. If it were an OHL coach, many of 'iffy' players would be from the O. Its how these things have always worked.

The only noticable ommision IMO is Shantz. But to think some of these Dub players are less deserving than other players is ridiculous. Look at how well the WHL meshed to completely romp the Russians. These are very good choices and There really isn't anything I'll change.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
Destroy? Maybe more players get picked, but not 7 times more (3 (# of Q players) x 7 = 21 (# of WHL players))

well, first round 2004

8 WHL
1 QMJHL

heck
2 BCHL
1 QMJHL

sure I agree that the number of WHL players in the selection camp is disproportionate, but like many have said I think its just Sutter taking a few marginal role guys that he knows over marginal role guys he doesn't know. we'll see how it goes

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
looooob said:
well, first round 2004

8 WHL
1 QMJHL

heck
2 BCHL
1 QMJHL

sure I agree that the number of WHL players in the selection camp is disproportionate, but like many have said I think its just Sutter taking a few marginal role guys that he knows over marginal role guys he doesn't know. we'll see how it goes

Just wait for 2005's draft.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Matt MacInnis said:
This is just mind-boggling.

Bolland, Boyd, Fraser, MacArthur, Meyer, Stone...none of these guys should make the team over Bernier (or PIcard for that matter).

I don't give a damn where players are from, but to overlook such top notch players for those guys. Some of them are great prospects in their own, but in my opinion, don't hold a candle to those three Q guys in what they could have brought the team.

Tell me what makes Bernier better than Stone?
Stone and Bernier are about equal in skating ability, Stone leads the WHL in scoring and is one of if not the best 2 way center in the whl and is the best defensive center in the camp. So why shouldn't he be there. Oh ya he is also tough as nails and plays a consistant physical game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad