TSN article regarding young D is a great read and shows who is underrated.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
This thread should really be about Severson.

Underated but I dont think he has the upside of the other guys.

This is exactly why I don't trust stats in a vacuum. They should be used to support the eye test - not replace it.

This. It's a joke how people have just abandoned all common sense when it comes to judging teams and players by advanced stats.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Surprised Yost didn't use Usage charts.
Here goes.
aQjBNF3.png

Severson and Hamilton are ****ing monsters. Jones and Rielly are good but sheltered.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Embarassing that Brodin isn't mentioned at all in this article.

He is the perfect example of a 21 and under defender succeeding in the NHL. He's played 23+ minutes a night in the NHL since he was 19 on the top pairing.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
ITT: People condemning advanced stats from TSN because they don't understand what they mean.

The use of advanced stats on this site is a joke.

Anyone who is looking at that article and not picking up on what isn't there, doesn't know as much as they think they do.

Is that you Yost??

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This. It's a joke how people have just abandoned all common sense when it comes to judging teams and players by advanced stats.

People seem to think that they can get away with using advanced stats as a judge for a player, without watching the player, which is beyond me. Personally, I know next to nothing about advanced stats, and I don't think I'm a terrible judge of a hockey player. Perhaps it could improve my analysis somewhat, but frankly, the eye test is the best test.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Damon Severson is a hell of a player , probably better then half of the defencemen on that list , but won't get recognized for it .

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol @ Yost, pretty clearly emphasized those three advanced stats to make certain players he wanted look good. In my opinion, if you're going to try your hand at advanced stats, you need to use ALL of them, and then look at players compared to one another. Don't cherry pick a few and come to conclusions, it doesn't work that way. You don't watch the 1st period of a hockey game and come to the conclusion as to which team is better and has the brighter future. You watch the entire game and, if you can, their entire season (for the future part). Just silly. That's why I don't like advanced stats, they aren't used properly.

In saying that, all of them are fine young defenseman hopefully with very bright futures

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Yeah Rielly is good, and as a Leaf fan I love that, but those stats(and that usage one) makes Seversson seem like a beast, I'm gonna have to watch more Yotes games.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
He's only at least 21.428571428571% wrong on how many defensemen are regular starters in the NHL,quality:handclap:

Gonna suggest that a guy who knows something called Connor Murphy exists probably also knows about Olli Maatta.

Looks like a GP cutoff at 25. Which, you've gotta set one somewhere.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you think Morgan Rielly is an offensive D-man then I'd argue you don't watch him. But then I think that's quite obvious.

Morgan Rielly was drafted for his offensive skills. That cannot be argued.

I'm most impressed that Hamilton is able to put up the numbers he's putting up with so few offensive starts really.

Davebo*

It's hilarious - 50% of the stories in the NHL section at tsn are about the leafs.

They don't try and hide their singular obsession anymore, do they? So, we have to take any leafs oriented article with a grain of salt. Also, they've embraced 'advanced' stats with the same fervour as the leafs - at the same time.

Toronto Stats Network? :sarcasm:

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
why is playing against weaker competition good?

why is less D zone starts better? thats usually called sheltered

This is just one of the many ways that these stats can be manipulated while presenting them. If you are on the ice with Weber or Chara or anyone like that you are automatically facing "weaker competition" unless facing each other or someone like Crosby. These stats are not the be all end all measure of how good a player is and often it is meaningless to compare some of them to players on other teams. Compare Reilly to the rest of the Leafs D or Jones to the rest of Nashville to get a more accurate idea of the role they are playing. All of these stats combined can be very useful or they can be taken out of context and used seperately to give an inaccurate idea of how a player is performing.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yeah Rielly is good, and as a Leaf fan I love that, but those stats(and that usage one) makes Seversson seem like a beast, I'm gonna have to watch more Yotes games.

Im confused... Severson plays for the devils...?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Believe it or not, there are only 11 regular 21-or-under defenders this season. Success has been variable....

For the sake of this graph and this graph only, I have omitted both Nikita Zadorov and Rasmus Ristolainen.

and what about Ryan Murray?

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
'Who is the player with the most encouraging underlying numbers? Damon Severson. Severson’s numbers and deployment are somewhat to comparable to that of Cody Ceci and Morgan Rielly, but both of those players had significant NHL-experience last season. Severson’s a full-blown rookie.

For that reason, New Jersey should be thrilled about what they have found in their 2012 second-round pick."

Huh. Totally not in the same class as Lindholm, Trouba, Rielly tho. LOL :laugh:

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Embarassing that Brodin isn't mentioned at all in this article.

He is the perfect example of a 21 and under defender succeeding in the NHL. He's played 23+ minutes a night in the NHL since he was 19 on the top pairing.

Delete. Brodin has actually been very good this year

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Underated but I dont think he has the upside of the other guys.

Jesus christ. Why doesnt Severson have the upside of the others; because he wasn't a top 15 pick? Give your head a shake, dawg

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Honestly, there are actually some Leafs' fans who maintain what Burke said about him being the best player in his draft. The kid is still so young, but seems to lack confidence at times and still gets overwhelmed defensively. He may be great someday, but he is definitely not underrated right now.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The stats are definitely a bit cherry picked. Corsi% of teammate more reflects on how the team is playing. Relative offensive zone starts should be only used when comparing players on the same team IMO.

That last chart is the cake. Corsi on and corsi off with zero context.

By these charts you'd think Trouba is pretty run of the mill. I can show you a few charts on why he isn't. Or I can explain why. He's paired with Mark Stuart, and is our only D who is able to bring Stuart into positive possession territory or close. It's not Troubas fault that Stuart tends to need some sheltering. He's the only one on our D core that makes him look like a top 4 guy.

QOT takes into consideration all the teammates on the ice, not specifically your D partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad