TSN article regarding young D is a great read and shows who is underrated.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
'Who is the player with the most encouraging underlying numbers? Damon Severson. Severson’s numbers and deployment are somewhat to comparable to that of Cody Ceci and Morgan Rielly, but both of those players had significant NHL-experience last season. Severson’s a full-blown rookie.

For that reason, New Jersey should be thrilled about what they have found in their 2012 second-round pick."

Huh. Totally not in the same class as Lindholm, Trouba, Rielly tho. LOL :laugh:

In Gliff's defense, those 3 (among others) have been established longer. But there's no reason why Severson can't be as good or better.

MountainGoat

Severson is going to be something special, he has all the tools

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think 'young D' should ever be used, personally.

:laugh:

Well just going off the Anaheim example using fowler and Lindholm at 18 and 19 respectively worked out just fine. Lindholm will probably finish the year as a number 1 defenseman with his insane development curve. He's already playing on the top pairing.

There's a lot of great young D coming into the league. Phrasing.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
There is an obsession to rank one ahead of the other, ahead of the other.

If you held a gun to my head I would say Severson Trouba Lindholm Matta are my favs but I've watched a few leafs games and Reilly is better offensively then most of their older D. Will be 'good' as well, but good means different things for different players. Reilly will eventually put up lots of points from the blueline but Trouba ragdolls grown men in his own zone at age 19, so whatever floats your boat.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I still take rielly at 5 personally.. Trouba and lindholm have looked better so far, but how they look 1 year into their pro careers is not at all indicative as to who will be the better defender when all is said and done..

Last edited:

MilanKraft*

Silly stats to try and prove someone is doing something when they are not.

Score some goals or shut up.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
I like how the article describes Buffalo as being "a historically awful hockey team", when they are 7 points up on both the Canes and Oilers. Not even the worst this season.

Kind of lost interest at that point.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I must admit, I chuckled.

Doesn't it though? Haha

I'm a Jets fan, I love Trouba, I am not sure what Dman around his age I would trade him for, if any.

If someone feels he isn't that great I may say I disagree, but Leafs fans just seem obsessed with Reilly being underrated.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I still take rielly at 5 personally.. Trouba and lindholm have looked better so far, but how they look 1 year into their pro careers is not at all indicative as to who will be the better defender when all is said and done..

Watched Lindholm closely during the last Jets/Ducks game, that kid is going to be a stud for a long time.

Brownies

I'm getting tired of seeing good offensive Dman getting crap because their coach prefer to have a guy who can actually shoot the puck in the net, in offensive zone start, if the center wins the faceoff. Also, that stat about quality of opposition is a good stat but hard to judge. Many teams have a shutdown line who'll play a lot against the opposing top line at home. Playing against waker opposition might be some sort of reward and shouldn't always be seen as getting "sheltered".

I'm not against advanced stat, just against over-simplification.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Because he doesn't (coming from an objective fan which you clearly aren't.)

Everything he's done thus far shows he's capable of doing so. Even though it's really early, flat out saying he doesn't have that potential is ******** and could only be based on his draft position. I don't even need these advanced stats to believe it, just watching him play is enough. Please explain why he doesn't, other than just saying he doesn't. Is it because of stats? Those seem to be in his favour. Is it by watching him play? Because if so then we aren't watching the same player. Is it draft position? Because that's just idiocy.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Watched Lindholm closely during the last Jets/Ducks game, that kid is going to be a stud for a long time.

So are most of the Dmen on that list. But I would say that lindholm has been the best dman from that draft class so far. Didn't know much about him at the draft, seemed like a reach pick, but he's proving that he absolutely wasn't at this stage.

Last edited:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Oh right he's that heavy, shut-down defender. That explains the lack of penalty kill time. :laugh:

This proves nothing. Good defenders are good defenders regardless of whether they play the pk. Just off the top of my head, subban played top unit pk on the best pk team when he broke into the league. Now? Therrien is using lesser players who get the same job done instead of using pk.

Penalty kill is mostly a goalie and system reliant thing. Not players.

Why throw your game breaking dman on the pk where he can get hurt blocking a shot when using scrubs who play the system get the same job done?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad