TSN article regarding young D is a great read and shows who is underrated.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Well what is he?

Offensive?
Defensive?
2-way?

If there's going to be a "praise Reilly" thread, can't we at least talk about him?

For anyone that watches him, he's pretty clearly a two-way defenseman. If you want to get more specific, he excels at neutral zone transition hockey.

And if you want better replies, don't come into a thread with the "if Rielly is so amazing" and mic drop garbage. Especially when your entire opinion on the player comes from reading stats pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Travis Yost is a stats blogger and was strictly on Twitter before TSN hired him at the start of the season because he is one of the best hockey staticians in the industry

sweet jesus no...

You may have to broaden your readings if you think Yost was one of the best in the industry.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Misusage of advanced stats, with cherry picking.

He includes some players in graphs, but not in all the graphs.

??? didnt read the article i guess? he mentions why he omitted two players in the first graph, but im not gonna explain it here since its all in the article

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I am relatively new to the board. This topic of Reilly being underrated seems really important to Leafs fans.

penguins2946*

Rielly is still significantly worse than Trouba and below Lindholm and Maatta.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
only knock is his team is worse with him on the ice, which is kinda a big one

1st graph Left and Low is good
2nd less D zone starts is better
3rd the more the Blue is higher than the red is the important part

This isn't necessarily true. All of these graphs are taking advanced metrics and trying to compare them without any context to team whatsoever.

It's not a defensemans fault if he's on a good team that has good possession which leads to mostly OZone starts. Which according to this article and your translation means he's not a good defenseman.

This is the problem we are going to start having with the explosion of analytics. People who want to get in on the game but don't understand how to properly analyze using the stats.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
only knock is his team is worse with him on the ice, which is kinda a big one

1st graph Left and Low is good
2nd less D zone starts is better
3rd the more the Blue is higher than the red is the important part

why is playing against weaker competition good?

why is less D zone starts better? thats usually called sheltered

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Oh right he's that heavy, shut-down defender. That explains the lack of penalty kill time. :laugh:

I wont argue that Reilly is better than any guys mentioned in the thread, but you really have no clue what youre talking about. You sound like the Leafs fans who compared Luke Schenn to Erik Karlsson because Karlsson had only 9 more assists than Schenn in their 2nd post-draft season.

Reilly is an incredibly smart defensive player, it pains me to say that as a Sens fan but he is going to be an extremely impactful and controlling player for several years.

mark24

Jun 17, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/succeeding-as-a-young-defenceman-in-the-nhl-no-easy-task-1.172456

IMO this shows how Rielly is being underrated by being considered below Lindholm and far below Trouba

Haven't read this yet but I'm about to, I can tell you with certainty that TSN is a loaded propaganda pumping machine with anything about or to do with the Leafs. Always take TSN leafs coverage with a grain of salt. They cater to the largest audience and say what they think that audience will want to hear to boost viewership or readers in this case.
Now I'm not saying that Rielly isn't a great young player because he is, but don't fall for fools gold on TSN, watch the players and form your own opinion. Its a much more reliable and accurate representation of a player.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Not sure why Brodin isn't there? Kinda knocks credibility of the research down a notch though....

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Not sure why Brodin isn't there? Kinda knocks credibility of the research down a notch though....

No, Brodin isnt included because he's a 3rd year NHLer. All the other guys are in their 1st or 2nd NHL seasons. Unless I'm mistaken... I only took a quick glance.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
No, Brodin isnt included because he's a 3rd year NHLer. All the other guys are in their 1st or 2nd NHL seasons. Unless I'm mistaken... I only took a quick glance.

Article does not mention that as a criteria.

Naturally, I’m always intrigued to see how coaches bring along these players, because it varies from team to team. Believe it or not, there are only 11 regular 21-or-under defenders this season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Travis Yost is a stats blogger and was strictly on Twitter before TSN hired him at the start of the season because he is one of the best hockey staticians in the industry

He was the Ottawa guy on Hockey Buzz before getting the TSN gig

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

He's only at least 21.428571428571% wrong on how many defensemen are regular starters in the NHL,quality:handclap:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This is exactly why I don't trust stats in a vacuum. They should be used to support the eye test - not replace it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad