TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
We are the new Laffs , its pretty scary how close the situations are its insane.
We get to enjoy the leafs and Bruins dominate the league while we have incompetent front office members .
Fun times ahead !

Hopefully backup teams can pull people through the dark times lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Another hot take by Pierre McGuire:

Y'all better sit down for this one.

"If Max Pacioretty is traded, and that's a big if, Brendan Gallagher will be the next captain"

Well at least that's settled

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Another hot take by Pierre McGuire:

Y'all better sit down for this one.

"If Max Pacioretty is traded, and that's a big if, Brendan Gallagher will be the next captain"

Well at least that's settled

In Pierre's world maybe, he really has no shame in taking shots at the Habs every chance he gets. He took a shot at Weber in the process of stating that about Gallagher, something along the lines of Weber shouldn't be considered due to his age and health...

I didn't like the Weber PK trade but wouldn't Weber be the only choice at this point?

Reactions: Laurentide

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
In Pierre's world maybe, he really has no shame in taking shots at the Habs every chance he gets. He took a shot at Weber in the process of stating that about Gallagher, something along the lines of Weber shouldn't be considered due to his age and health...

I didn't like the Weber PK trade but wouldn't Weber be the only choice at this point?
Give it to Gallagher, that extra C on his jersey won't weigh him down, he will still compete with a smile on his face.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I also think its gonna be Gallagher...but McGuire makes it seem like hes breaking news

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I would give it to Weber without a doubt. Gallagher will get the same type of heat like Pacioretty did sooner or later.

Reactions: Laurentide

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Give it to Gallagher, that extra C on his jersey won't weigh him down, he will still compete with a smile on his face.

If it's a players vote, I think 100% it would be Weber. He is the perfect captain, he commands respect, both on his team and around the league..

Gallagher gives it his all and he's a great role model to have on your team but he doesn't fit that captain mold, at least in my eyes

Reactions: roy munson and the

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If it's a players vote, I think 100% it would be Weber. He is the perfect captain, he commands respect, both on his team and around the league..

Gallagher gives it his all and he's a great role model to have on your team but he doesn't fit that captain mold, at least in my eyes
What has Shea Weber done in a habs uniform to merit being named captain? He was brought here in a trade for one of our most beloved players and it would be another boring vanilla answer type of captain. Gallagher is a better choice to lead an up and coming bunch of young players especially those that will arrive next year, give it to Gally.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
In a vacuum, Gallagher would be a great captain. Big problem is, the refs have zero respect for him.

So yeah, Weber will most probably be named captain. But we'll need an interim, though. My best (and saddest) guess? Plekanec.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So something happened which makes me almsot 100% certain Marc De Foy is a user on this forum. Might just be a lurker, but he definitely comes on this forum. Can't say as to why I know.

Marc, please stand up! You're almost at the end of your career anyway.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I would give it to Weber without a doubt. Gallagher will get the same type of heat like Pacioretty did sooner or later.
Except that Gallagher busts his ass on every play unlike max . And that goes very very far With the fan base.
The reality, like him or not, Max since the hit on chara fails the eye test in effort. not saying he is not giving his best, i am saying he is not playing with wreckless abandon one expects from his captain, and that is something we have seen from Gallagher

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
In a vacuum, Gallagher would be a great captain. Big problem is, the refs have zero respect for him.

So yeah, Weber will most probably be named captain. But we'll need an interim, though. My best (and saddest) guess? Plekanec.
This was an issue when he just started his career, it's not an issue anymore IMO. He managed to gain the respect of refs.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
So something happened which makes me almsot 100% certain Marc De Foy is a user on this forum. Might just be a lurker, but he definitely comes on this forum. Can't say as to why I know.

Marc, please stand up! You're almost at the end of your career anyway.

what turned the bulb on for you?

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET

Serious question..

Has Weber really contributed enough during his time as a Montreal Canadien to automatically have him wearing the C? We didn't get the Shea Weber of 2010 from a physical standpoint. He commanded respect at his peak in Nashville, hasn't been the same as a Hab, imo. It's also a question of how much he's actually played here since the trade. Not enough.

Pierre's right, if they slap the captaincy on Weber and his injuries worsen then we're back to having to rehash this "picked the wrong captain" story all over again.

Gallagher is the logical choice. Plays his ass off every night, has an outgoing personality, gives a good interview, has a good contract and is now a young veteran who's earned some respect in the league. Perfect captain to weather a tank and still battle every night.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

And the rest of the league has zero respect for our team so what's the issue?

Reactions: Runner77

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Serious question..

Has Weber really contributed enough during his time as a Montreal Canadien to automatically have him wearing the C? We didn't get the Shea Weber of 2010 from a physical standpoint. He commanded respect at his peak in Nashville, hasn't been the same as a Hab, imo. It's also a question of how much he's actually played here since the trade. Not enough.

Pierre's right, if they slap the captaincy on Weber and his injuries worsen then we're back to having to rehash this "picked the wrong captain" story all over again.

Gallagher is the logical choice. Plays his ass off every night, has an outgoing personality, gives a good interview, has a good contract and is now a young veteran who's earned some respect in the league. Perfect captain to weather a tank and still battle every night.

I am not arguing the merits of whether Gallagher deserves the C over Weber, based on both their Habs careers, Gallagher obviously has that advantage. I think Weber has been good while a Hab but the number of games alone gives Gallagher that edge. He has been a Hab much longer, he does play his ass off every night, no debate there, and he deserves a ton of respect for that.

However, provided Weber is staying here long term, I see him as the only choice from management. They made the drastic trade of Weber/Subban with leadership firmly as part of their decision. There is no way they would pick anyone else but Weber, it would be an indictment on their trade decision to have anyone else be their captain.

If its a players vote, again this goes to Weber. His persona and reputation may be bigger than his game right now but in the room I am willing to bet everyone defers to him. It would be a landslide victory for him.

The only way I see Gallagher being named captain over Weber is if they commit publicly to the rebuild with the intent of trading Weber as part of that rebuild..

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Why does Montreal need a captain immediately after Pacioretty (if he is traded)? It seems to me that the only thing the captaincy brings is unreasonable pressure on a top player.

The team in the locker room knows who the leaders are. Youdon't need to wear a C to get ignored by the Refs when complaining about a call.

The Golden Knights just made the cup final without one. Toronto hasn't had one since they trade Phaneuf two years ago and are in absolutely no rush to replace him.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
What has Shea Weber done in a habs uniform to merit being named captain? He was brought here in a trade for one of our most beloved players and it would be another boring vanilla answer type of captain. Gallagher is a better choice to lead an up and coming bunch of young players especially those that will arrive next year, give it to Gally.
Weber didn't have to do anything in a Habs uniform. His reputation preceded him. He's the first guy who gets picked to be on Team Canada because he is respected around the NHL. Gallagher is loved by Habs fans but either laughed at or outright loathed everyplace else. He's like a low-carb version of Marchand except that Marchand still gets picked to be on Team Canada while Gallagher doesn't.

Gallagher is a better talker, but Weber has "rispeck".

(and I hear that he also hates to lose, so there's that)

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I am not arguing the merits of whether Gallagher deserves the C over Weber, based on both their Habs careers, Gallagher obviously has that advantage. I think Weber has been good while a Hab but the number of games alone gives Gallagher that edge. He has been a Hab much longer, he does play his ass off every night, no debate there, and he deserves a ton of respect for that.

However, provided Weber is staying here long term, I see him as the only choice from management. They made the drastic trade of Weber/Subban with leadership firmly as part of their decision. There is no way they would pick anyone else but Weber, it would be an indictment on their trade decision to have anyone else be their captain.

If its a players vote, again this goes to Weber. His persona and reputation may be bigger than his game right now but in the room I am willing to bet everyone defers to him. It would be a landslide victory for him.

The only way I see Gallagher being named captain over Weber is if they commit publicly to the rebuild with the intent of trading Weber as part of that rebuild..
Weber is a Hab long-term for one simple reason: they won't be able to trade him.

But all jokes aside, Weber is the kind of guy who a team could trade for and hand the "C" to as soon as he steps off the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad