TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
People in cars/trucks/planes or at work, or with no TV. I listened to Habs games on the radio all the time when I lived out West. Let me tell you about the 0-5 comeback vs the Rangers. When you have to imagine the play, it becomes real exciting. Reminds me of Sunday evenings, listening to games from Detroit or Chicago on the kitchen radio with my dad.

You can't compare the quality broadcasters from the time you are referencing, to what we're being fed now. I too love radio and value the broadcast of a favorite team from afar, but the current downgrade in quality is a whole lot to put up with -- it ruins the experience. Thankfully there are alternatives.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You can't compare the quality broadcasters from the time you are referencing, to what we're being fed now. I too love radio and value the broadcast of a favorite team from afar, but the current downgrade in quality is a whole lot to put up with -- it ruins the experience. Thankfully there are alternatives.
Yeah, I couldn't handle Félix Séguin on the radio any more than I could on TV.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
I bolted from Habs Lunch today the minute Campbell was resorting to his own Habs goal call sound bytes from last night’s game, while Dan Robertson was a guest on the show.

I came back to 690 about an hour later only to hear them go to a Rocket commercial that featured a Campbell Rocket goal call.

Really, 690? Stahp it with this Campbell turd — he’s horrid. Give someone else a chance.

I actually think he’s pretty good. Robertson is better - what a voice - but Campbell is coming along.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
Heard Melnicks convo with Miller about barstool. What a bunch of hacks. These guys work for corporations that have hidden sexual assaults, employed literal rapists(nbc) and bell screws over canadians at every turn but Portnoys the bad man because Millers daughter is an sjw who hates him.

Didn't nbc literally squash the weinstein allegations???

Two hypocritical boomers who do nothing for anyone but themselves. why did Andi leave again? Hmmmmmm

But yea, the guy donating 30+ million to small businesses is the bad guy and these two losers are the heroes. Everyone give gord attention and praise! That's heroic.

Portnoy and his cabal are caustic garbage. You have no leg to stand on here. Good for Miller.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just heard a few game clips of last nights game with Campbell on the play by play..... who thought it was a good idea to make this guy call games? It’s terrible

the game winning goal in OT I think he named 4 Jets before finally getting Ehlers right

He is bad.

Thank the gods he has Momesso for Habs' color commentary and JP O'Connor for Rocket color commentary. But even though I like those two guys very much, Campbell kills the vibe. He is really bad.

It's the same for Alfieri for the soccer games. Which is why I was happy last year the few times Olivier Brett stepped in and did pxp for TSN690.

Both Campbell and Alfieri, to me, come off as broadcasters of a high school team, where the school isn't picky on who broadcasts the game. They just take the kids that volunteered to do it.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I actually think he’s pretty good. Robertson is better - what a voice - but Campbell is coming along.

We’ll agree to disagree. I think you’re in the minority here. Robertson is not just better — he’s vastly superior — owns all the attributes you typically find among the best in the business.

I can’t stomach Campbell’s pompous act, the senseless screaming and the way he trickles down words to a slow drip to end sentences where he appears not to know where he’s going next.

I’ve been following Habs broadcasts on all platforms for years and this is the first time I’ve been disappointed by a play by play guy on English media.

On the French language side, Félix Séguin currently takes the cake but he fits right in with the low standards at TVA. The top Franco broadcasters have always come from RadCan in its heyday, which is also where RDS’ Pierre Houde learned his chops.

Campbell is only making it on account of weak gatekeepers and a failure to exact higher standards. Too bad.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
We’ll agree to disagree. I think you’re in the minority here. Robertson is not just better — he’s vastly superior — owns all the attributes you typically find among the best in the business.

I can’t stomach Campbell’s pompous act, the senseless screaming and the way he trickles down words to a slow drip to end sentences where he appears not to know where he’s going next.

I’ve been following Habs broadcasts on all platforms for years and this is the first time I’ve been disappointed by a play by play guy on English media.

On the French language side, Félix Séguin currently takes the cake but he fits right in with the low standards at TVA. The top Franco broadcasters have always come from RadCan in its heyday, which is also where RDS’ Pierre Houde learned his chops.

Campbell is only making it on account of weak gatekeepers and a failure to exact higher standards. Too bad.

We’ll agree on the Robertson piece. He’s a treat to listen to. Just fantastic. I really enjoy when he’s on tv. Improves the broadcast so much.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal

Seguin might be the worst play by play guy in the history of hockey. And yes even more annoying than the idiot in Boston (Edwards) or the screaming bafoon in Florida (Moller)

when I’m at my in laws house on Saturday nights and I have to watch on TVA Sports I wanna rip my ears off.
That annoying voice he puts on every time he tries to create excitement , I can’t handle it “y lance”

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
We’ll agree on the Robertson piece. He’s a treat to listen to. Just fantastic. I really enjoy when he’s on tv. Improves the broadcast so much.
Not sure who his co -host is but they definitely make the game a pleasure to listen to.Cambell on the other hand is just flat out annoying,like the previous poster said without Momesso it would just be unbearable.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I listen to them when I’m on the road, like when I’m driving from Ottawa to Toronto....sometimes I’m overseas or in Mexico and I’ll listen to the game on TSN.ca if internet is bad and I can’t stream the game....guess it’s for people on the move.

I get that,sure there are some,but I was curious as to actual numbers in Montreal area listening instead of watching. I tune in on occasion via internet as it has vastly improved over the years,I've even tuned in while on the boat on occasion if I anticipate Habs breaking news of trades,etc.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
People in cars/trucks/planes or at work, or with no TV. I listened to Habs games on the radio all the time when I lived out West. Let me tell you about the 0-5 comeback vs the Rangers. When you have to imagine the play, it becomes real exciting. Reminds me of Sunday evenings, listening to games from Detroit or Chicago on the kitchen radio with my dad.

OK, so now we have 2 people:laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Craig Button was on TSN690 this morning to announce that TSN and RDS will be launching a 5G network experience.

80 specialized cameras will be installed in the Bell Center and viewers will be able to choose any camera angle to get a different angle of certain plays or goals.

He used the example of fans will be able to see what Jeff Petry sees when Connor McDavid comes down his side of the ice.

Sounds pretty cool.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
People who are blind or visually impaired rely on radio broadcasts of games. A good P X P voice paints a picture for them. Sadly, Campbell is just more cheap labor from 690.

My condolences to them for having to put with him,fortunately it's not all games,so there is that.

Reactions: Runner77

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I was gonna check TSN 690 to listen to something with breakfast this morning but it was Norman Flynn so instead I opted to just ram Q-Tips in my ears until they bled.
Then if yours ears are q tipping. What do you think about KK and suzuki for dubois? - Norman

Reactions: jaffy27 and McGees
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad