TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
McKenna claimed that “classic” was best represented by how the iconic Montreal Pool Room preps it. Can’t argue with that.

I really don't recall how they came at the Pool room,was that on St. Laurent blvd? The Forum if I remember correctly it was just mustard and relish,and a bargain to boot! not!

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really don't recall how they came at the Pool room,was that on St. Laurent blvd? The Forum if I remember correctly it was just mustard and relish,and a bargain to boot! not!

The Montreal Pool Room survived, the Forum closed as I recall. Then, The Montreal Pool Room moved on the other side of St-Laurent blvd.

You’ll probably recall how both joints were practically one next to the other.

I don’t believe they use relish on their dogs but it’s been too long since I’ve been.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Much too flattering a representation for these clueless, bumbling dodos.

We may yet be stuck with at least one of the two for a very long time — the most likely being Campbell as he’ll agree to work as many shifts as needed and he’s also got his dirty paws into the Rocket broadcast booth doing play by play.

I’ll dread the day when he tries to lunge for Dan Robertson’s job, should Dan move on to a better opportunity.

Campbell did get to replace Robertson on a road trip to California about 2 years ago and he couldn’t stop gloating about it. He mentioned to Robertson how he spent time on a beach and his tone sounded like “so this is how the other side lives” type of thing. Robertson did not look pleased and became snarky toward our loveless turd.

More accurate?

DDer.png

Dan does great play by play and probably deserves to get a much better gig on tv, he has a voice meant for PBP. How Campbell got the job is befuddling, his tone is what kills me,just does not sound like a professional PBP person,very High schoolish,but that's his voice and nothing can be done about that. Not his fault that's how he sounds,but he was the best choice available?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
More accurate?

DDer.png

Dan does great play by play and probably deserves to get a much better gig on tv, he has a voice meant for PBP. How Campbell got the job is befuddling, his tone is what kills me,just does not sound like a professional PBP person,very High schoolish,but that's his voice and nothing can be done about that. Not his fault that's how he sounds,but he was the best choice available?

Campbell would not have made it in past decades, I’m convinced. Just not an entertaining radio voice, he’s way too monotone and can’t ad lib very well. In his case, it was all about who he became friends with.

Campbell’s faults are his to own. The question is who put him there. I would say there are always great options to do play by play — it’s usually a job that’s in high demand as it could lead to a high profile paying gig.

Dan Robertson is a rock star in terms of his delivery, his tone and his ability to make impromptu impactful statements that sound intelligent. He knows how to be relevant and entertaining. He is very professional and I hope he’ll stay where he is as long as possible.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The Montreal Pool Room survived, the Forum closed as I recall. Then, The Montreal Pool Room moved on the other side of St-Laurent blvd.

You’ll probably recall how both joints were practically one next to the other.

I don’t believe they use relish on their dogs but it’s been too long since I’ve been.

Nope! I wasn't even sure it was on St.Laurent,so rare I got to those parts and wasn't it more or less a bit of a dump? sketchy neighborhood? How long has it been now 30,40+years? I have no clue.

@peate probably knows if anyone does.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nope! I wasn't even sure it was on St.Laurent,so rare I got to those parts and wasn't it more or less a bit of a dump? sketchy neighborhood? How long has it been now 30,40+years? I have no clue.

@peate probably knows if anyone does.

It was a shady, seedy area but it was a great place for a late bite on the cheap.

You always had pimps and prostitutes inside those joints and on the sidewalks in plain view and several bouncers working night clubs on both sides of the street. However, if you were just there to get your dog and fries and minded your own business, nobody bothered you.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
One summer in Montreal I would spend many nights taking the metro to watch the Expos in $1 bleacher seats, the have a late nosh at the pool room. Classic Montreal place in that it was surrounded by sleaze but like Runner says everyone was welcome. I always thought the old guys sweeping and bussing looked like they just got out of the joint.

I believe McKenna is right about the hot dog. I don’t mind a little relish as well but ketchup is an abomination.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It was a shady, seedy area but it was a great place for a late bite on the cheap.

You always had pimps and prostitutes inside those joints and on the sidewalks in plain view and several bouncers working night clubs on both sides of the street. However, if you were just there to get your dog and fries and minded your own business, nobody bothered you.

Was never too concerned about crime/danger in Montreal or for that matter Canada, unlike the States where you can very easily end up in the wrong apart of town.

Is that ''scene'' still a thing around there? you know,the pimps,hookers, shady characters, pretty sure @peate would know:laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dan Robertson definitely should have his own show.

And it shouldnt be long before a team picks him up as their TV guy.

If Dave Randorff can get a gig with a team, there is hope for everyone

I've heard Robertson fill in during one summer and he's just a joy to listen to. So smooth and entertaining.

Problem is he wouldn't be able to do his play by play gig during the hockey season while hosting his own show, it would be too demanding. But, he's proven to be very capable should he had wanted to go that route.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Was never too concerned about crime/danger in Montreal or for that matter Canada, unlike the States where you can very easily end up in the wrong apart of town.

Is that ''scene'' still a thing around there? you know,the pimps,hookers, shady characters, pretty sure @peate would know:laugh:

I don't know why you keep mentioning peate -- best to leave him out of this. :laugh:

I think peate lived out west for quite some time, so I don't know if he might have been in the city during the time both dog joints operated.

I saw my share of people transacting on the street for various things. I just kept walking and staring ahead and never got involved, so in Montreal you are correct, I too never felt like I needed to be too concerned about my safety.

The only truly gruesome scene I saw a few feet away from where I was walking, was a stumbling drunk guy who could barely hold his balance, threaten a bouncer twice his size. The bouncer took him out with a punch to the head. The blow was so powerful that I saw the drunk literally fly in mid air and when he landed, a pool of blood expanded around his head. I'll never forget the moment, it was surreal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One summer in Montreal I would spend many nights taking the metro to watch the Expos in $1 bleacher seats, the have a late nosh at the pool room. Classic Montreal place in that it was surrounded by sleaze but like Runner says everyone was welcome. I always thought the old guys sweeping and bussing looked like they just got out of the joint.

I believe McKenna is right about the hot dog. I don’t mind a little relish as well but ketchup is an abomination.

I prefer it without relish but from the pics of all dressed dogs I just saw from The Montreal Pool Room, it does look like they use relish. I guess I never noticed, they always tasted so good. Their fries too.

Reactions: Tighthead

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Starr and McKenna are attention seekers that's all they are. Marinaro is to over the top to be taken seriously . Campbell believes his opinions are not only right but that they matter which is laughable. Nilan falls into the same trap as Campbell believing their opinions hold value like what they believe is truth when usually their opinions are nothing but nonsense. Melnick is a know it all type person but he's truly a halfwit. The others Alfieri , Gallo , Tsalikis are just just noise in the back round.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't know why you keep mentioning peate -- best to leave him out of this. :laugh:

I think peate lived out west for quite some time, so I don't know if he might have been in the city during the time both dog joints operated.

I saw my share of people transacting on the street for various things. I just kept walking and staring ahead and never got involved, so in Montreal you are correct, I too never felt like I needed to be too concerned about my safety.

The only truly gruesome scene I saw a few feet away from where I was walking, was a stumbling drunk guy who could barely hold his balance, threaten a bouncer twice his size. The bouncer took him out with a punch to the head. The blow was so powerful that I saw the drunk literally fly in mid air and when he landed, a pool of blood expanded around his head. I'll never forget the moment, it was surreal.

Because he educated me in other threads about the city and some of it's history. It was very informative and enlightening. He has a lot of experience and knowledge about things that I know little about and appreciate the input.

Pretty gruesome for sure,was it really warranted though? But it's usually the case,someone who is lippy will get it in the end.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because he educated me in other threads about the city and some of it's history. It was very informative and enlightening. He has a lot of experience and knowledge about things that I know little about and appreciate the input.

Pretty gruesome for sure,was it really warranted though? But it's usually the case,someone who is lippy will get it in the end.

With all due respect to @peate who I enjoy reading, I've never left the province and witnessed all the events you asked about first hand. If he has an anecdote to add, for sure, I'd love to read it. But, I had many late nights downtown and ended up at that spot quite a bit. There was a lot of hustle and bustle and it was also a lot of fun watching how people interacted without getting too close, so as not to be too intrusive.

As for the poor sap who got decked, it was an old man and a kid could have taken him down. It was definitely poor judgment by the doorman.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

My uncle, may he rest in peace, was a regular fixture there. He was one of those you wouldn't mess around with in his younger days. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My uncle, may he rest in peace, was a regular fixture there. He was one of those you wouldn't mess around with in his younger days. :laugh:

Yeah, there were some very crusty types with whom you wouldn't want to mess with.

However, if you minded your own business, chances were that you got home unscathed.

Reactions: dinodebino

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
With all due respect to @peate who I enjoy reading, I've never left the province and witnessed all the events you asked about first hand. If he has an anecdote to add, for sure, I'd love to read it. But, I had many late nights downtown and ended up at that spot quite a bit. There was a lot of hustle and bustle and it was also a lot of fun watching how people interacted without getting too close, so as not to be too intrusive.

As for the poor sap who got decked, it was an old man and a kid could have taken him down. It was definitely poor judgment by the doorman.

I was under the impression that he has a few more years on you and can go further back. I had mentioned that on occasion many years ago,went once in a while to the Peel pub, and he mentioned it used to be for , let's say,a more flamboyant crowd which I had no idea about that. But then again, I got hit on by men almost as often as woman so maybe I just never noticed.:dunno:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I never really went to the Main at night, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's no worse than any other bar filled street, just more colorful. I'd be more worried in St-Leonard. Last time I walked the Main, I was heading to Steve's music from the Metro. and it's on the way.(Before it moved) Early 2000's.
I did notice my hot-dog joint had closed, and yes they do add relish, it's hidden underneath all the coleslaw.

Americans just landed another rover on Mars a few minutes ago, and that is an awesome accomplishment..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I never really went to the Main at night, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's no worse than any other bar filled street, just more colorful. I'd be more worried in St-Leonard. Last time I walked the Main, I was heading to Steve's music from the Metro. and it's on the way.(Before it moved) Early 2000's.
I did notice my hot-dog joint had closed, and yes they do add relish, it's hidden underneath all the coleslaw.

Americans just landed another rover on Mars a few minutes ago, and that is an awesome accomplishment..

Yeah, the relish is hidden underneath as I found out from looking at several pics online.

The Main at night has always been great for people watching, always something going on.

I was a regular at Steve's Music Store -- I used to spend a lot of time talking to Sheldon. The old location had real charm to it, with its creaky floorboards. Sadly, Sheldon passed last year. I have not been to the new location but was disheartened to see that it had gotten sacked by idiots during a protest last year.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Yeah, the relish is hidden underneath as I found out from looking at several pics online.

The Main at night has always been great for people watching, always something going on.

I was a regular at Steve's Music Store -- I used to spend a lot of time talking to Sheldon. The old location had real charm to it, with its creaky floorboards. Sadly, Sheldon passed last year. I have not been to the new location but was disheartened to see that it had gotten sacked by idiots during a protest last year.
Being on Ste-Catherine has its perils that's for sure. The old store was great; I liked the way they took over the neighbouring stores and made each one its own speciality. My old lead guitarist buddy worked there for a while.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
They were basically asking who would you scratch next.

Starr said Toffoli

He left Suzuki, and I quote "out to dry on a faceoff where Suzuki was tied up and Toffoli the winger didn't come in to help him"

While I agree with your sentiment that it was a ridiculously stupid statement I have been catching on to that lately with faceoffs. Suzuki would be near KK in faceoffs if his wingers supported him better in the dot when tied up. But to scratch him is dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad