Rumor: TSN 1040: Paul Chapman / Sekeres - Most calls about Virtanen - Source

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
He was by far our fastest and most physical forward.Finally started to play a complete game and was reliable defensively.

6’ 226 lbs, 22 years old, you don’t trade these players.

Benning I just slightly forgave you for trading our 1st with the Ferland signing. Trade all your other stupid signings first before you touch Jake.

Reactions: sting101 and iFan

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Why on earth would the Sabres trade Risto for a forward who's ~half as productive as Risto is?

Closer than you think. Risto is a #4 Dman on a good team with a salary of 5.4M. Virtanen is a cheap fast heavy player with 20 goal potential.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Suffer through the years of kid-Jake just to watch him become man-Jake somewhere else. I'd rather not see that happen. You know that wherever Virtanen gets traded to, he is gonna break out, so you better be getting something as good as Virtanen could be because otherwise you're gonna get fleeced.

No, we don’t know that.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I would love to see the sharks interested, although I heard Vancouver wants to try to not suck this year so they might not be willing to trade in the pacific

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He was by far our fastest and most physical forward.Finally started to play a complete game and was reliable defensively.

6’ 226 lbs, 22 years old, you don’t trade these players.

Benning I just slightly forgave you for trading our 1st with the Ferland signing. Trade all your other stupid signings first before you touch Jake.

7 goals in his last 52 games

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Virtanen is like our only dispensable player that actually carries some kind of value. He's pretty much the only trade asset the team has.

Can't afford to trade the studs and everybody else sucks and/or has an awful contract.

Nice job Benning. Jake Virtanen is the only card you have outside of draft picks which you hand out like candy.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
idk maybe it's just me, don't the canucks need to have these younger, cheaper guys in their lineup since they're paying their bottom 6 crazy money?
Are you insinuating long expensive contracts to players like Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Gagner, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Gagner, Etc. is not the way to win??

Reactions: timw33

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Here's my just for fun proposal

Eriksson
Juolevi
Virtanen
Tanev

For
Risto
Sobotka

Canucks free up $3MM cap space for next year and arn't tied to Eriksson's contract going forward.
Sabres get rid of Risto (not even sure why they want to), and take on a bad contract while giving up a less bad contract.
Tanev fills the void Risto leaves for a year and the reason they do this is because they see value in Juolevi and Virtanen

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
Are you insinuating long expensive contracts to players like Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Gagner, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Gagner, Etc. is not the way to win??
2014 was a long time ago, Jet Black Jim will ride again.

cut.jpg

Reactions: JTmillerForA1stLOL

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Closer than you think. Risto is a #4 Dman on a good team with a salary of 5.4M. Virtanen is a cheap fast heavy player with 20 goal potential.

no

risto is definitely overplayed and probably not a top pairing dman but theres no way he’s any worse than a #3.

the ideal situation for risto is the same kind of situation shattenkirk had in st louis, gus has in chicago or yandle has in florida

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My goodness, that word is thrown around loosely here.

I dislike the Flames as much as the next guy, but they finished 2nd in the standings last year. Although my memory is fading, I seem to recall Nashville doing extremely well in the standings fairly recently as well. Both teams spent some time in the middle as well.

Hence my statement. I will concede that elite may have not been the correct word to use.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why would Vancouver move Virtanen.

Why is this a big question mark? A 25 pt player is a big deal if moved? I highly doubt there is significant interest in him as this thread suggests. He is like every other depth forward in that they are all replaceable and have little value.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Virtanen is still very young. Reminds me a lot of another 6th overall pick Brett Connolly and look at how long he took to develop. It was a bad pick by Benning but Virtanen does have value because of his potential to be a 20-20 guy. I think he's worth what Connolly got when he got traded which was two second round picks.

Reactions: DomY

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I doubt Vancouver moves this player. The club overvalues him, if anything. Perhaps after the season starts something might develop?

I would rather imagine this is a team building around emerging stars, attempting a balanced (skill x physical) line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad