Rumor: TSN 1040: Paul Chapman / Sekeres - Most calls about Virtanen - Source

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
With Ferland signing it could make sense if it was a part of addressing a bigger need in lineup. Either a scoring W or packaged for an upgrade on D.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Not that high on him. I see his value at a late 2nd/two 3rds at this point. I also don't mind if the Canucks just keep him.

He's very frustrating to watch when he's not engaged, which is a lot of the time.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Most frustrating thing about Jake was summed up by Brian Burke, "the coach doesn't know what player he's getting whenever he taps his shoulder, one shift it might be a skill player, another shift it could be a physical player"

He has no consistency in his game right now, he has the ability to be a force physically but he hardly ever turns it on, he has the speed to get to the net but he doesn't know how to most of the time. Injuries and poor development have seriously derailed him beyond what his limited hockey IQ can do, hope he can figure it out. He had flashes early in the year and was on 25-25-50 pace for a while but the wheels fell off just as fast as they were put on

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Vancouver doesn’t have enough cap space to sign Boeser right now, they can’t afford Gusev even though he would instantly be our 4th best forward.

I thought I read that they have about $7.9m in cap space to sign Boeser and Goldy, but this is factoring in sending Schaller down. Also this isn't a sexy suggestion, but if Boeser is not signed until October or November that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either. Like the Leafs inadvertently saved about 500k on the cap hit with Nylander's deal by waiting until December, and the player made back the lost salary via bonus structure so he comes out the same.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why would Vancouver move Virtanen.

I love Virtanen, but here might be a few reasons:

1) Canucks will need to save money for “the big 3” over the next two years. That means Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom. JV is an RFA that will need to be reupped. We might not be able to afford him.

2) Virtanen might need to be used as a sweetener to move Eriksson.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I know a buddy of his.
He was told around draft weekend to pack his bags, that his departure might be imminent.

Choose to believe or don't.

I'm done with Jake. I think he's the kind of personality that may be able to fit in to a team where he's the new guy and there is a solid culture, but I think he's corrosive here.

That said, I wouldn't give him up unless there's a reason. I WOULD give him up if we could get rid of Eriksson in the deal, but I don't think that's in the offing.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Jim Benning doing everything he can to make the Canucks an 8th seed for years to come.

Jim Benning 2020: Make the Canucks mediocre again

I think it’s a myth that teams being in that 7th-10th spot stagnate there. Teams like Calgary and Nashville for instance spent varying time in these spots before becoming elite.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I think it’s a myth that teams being in that 7th-10th spot stagnate there. Teams like Calgary and Nashville for instance spent varying time in these spots before becoming elite.

Calgary won 1 playoff game, they also traded for a PPG player which helped them propel the team.

Nashville was an 8th seed when they went to the cup finals.

The Canucks have essentially the same collection of players locked in for the next couple of years. If everything goes right for this team it’s barley a playoff team with little assets or cap room to improve it.

The Canucks have assembled a good core of young players but have done an absolutely porus job of supplementing them with middling overpaid players with term on their contracts.

Reactions: ATypicalCanadian

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I like him. A line of Formenton - Pageau - Virtanen would be a really fun 3rd line, and Norris could replace Pageau down the line. That has the potential to be an elite 3rd line if thins turn out

Smith + Condon
for
Eriksson + Virtanen

& you guys buy out Condon

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
idk maybe it's just me, don't the canucks need to have these younger, cheaper guys in their lineup since they're paying their bottom 6 crazy money?

Reactions: Carnal

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I like him. A line of Formenton - Pageau - Virtanen would be a really fun 3rd line, and Norris could replace Pageau down the line. That has the potential to be an elite 3rd line if thins turn out

Smith + Condon
for
Eriksson + Virtanen

Replace Smith with Hainsey or Borowiecki and done deal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Smith + Condon
for
Eriksson + Virtanen

Vancouver can't buy out Condon.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
We have bottom six guys like MacEwan and Lind slowly brewing in Utica. We also have Motte and Leivo on cheap contracts. The hope is to replace Sutter with Gaudette.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad