Rumor: TSN 1040: Paul Chapman / Sekeres - Most calls about Virtanen - Source

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I thought I read that they have about $7.9m in cap space to sign Boeser and Goldy, but this is factoring in sending Schaller down. Also this isn't a sexy suggestion, but if Boeser is not signed until October or November that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either. Like the Leafs inadvertently saved about 500k on the cap hit with Nylander's deal by waiting until December, and the player made back the lost salary via bonus structure so he comes out the same.

Pretty sure if the Leafs and Nylander could do it again, they wouldn't wait until December 1st to get a deal done. Nylander probably would have chosen to come down to a 7x6 deal in July or August rather than be set on 8 mill until literally the last hour, and had the opportunity to go through training camp to be ready for the season.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I know a buddy of his.
He was told around draft weekend to pack his bags, that his departure might be imminent.

Choose to believe or don't.

I'm done with Jake. I think he's the kind of personality that may be able to fit in to a team where he's the new guy and there is a solid culture, but I think he's corrosive here.

That said, I wouldn't give him up unless there's a reason. I WOULD give him up if we could get rid of Eriksson in the deal, but I don't think that's in the offing.

Rumored Colorado deal involving Barrie?

Reactions: Nucks2477

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Why would Vancouver move Virtanen.

This, you don’t get rid of a kid who is just starting to show upside. I am pretty sure he could easily be a 20/20 and likely more. He is big, physical and seems to have his head on straight.

Why is Benning or Vancouver that matter so determined to get rid of Ericksson when they don’t have cap issues.

GFY

Touhou Fanatic
Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, B.C.
Would we not be able to bury Eriksson, Schaller, and I guess Fantenburg and be perfectly fine? It'd save us what, just shy of 3M on the cap? Or would it not work like that. It'd end up giving us 8M still to sign Boeser then.

I''d much rather do something like that then trade assets or potential assets away. There was a lot of talk of Baertschi being the odd man out due to the potential "cap issues" we're facing before the start of the season and I don't know.. I really don't think that's a good idea despite his recent issues last season with injuries.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
This, you don’t get rid of a kid who is just starting to show upside. I am pretty sure he could easily be a 20/20 and likely more. He is big, physical and seems to have his head on straight.

Why is Benning or Vancouver that matter so determined to get rid of Ericksson when they don’t have cap issues.

It seems like they do have a cap issue, considering that they have just over $5 million in space available to sign Boeser and Golbdobin.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I would be annoyed if we moved Virtanen. So many Canucks fans can’t see the value he brings and can’t detach themselves from his draft position.

If Virtanen were to be moved, we would instantly be in need of a guy like him. If we trad Virtanen I guarantee the same people who wanted him moved would be saying shit like “We have no speed! This team is too slow!”

Jake Virtanen will be a play driving 15-25 goal two way winger with size, speed, and physicality. I’m completely baffled why there’s so many stupid Canucks fans who want him gone. Give your head a shake. Probably the people who want him gone are the morons who were saying he was going to be the next Bertuzzi or Neely and cant see how valuable Virtanen is through all the egg on their face.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I'd listen on Virtanen. He was horrible last year.

upload_2019-7-11_8-49-0.png

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
We have bottom six guys like MacEwan and Lind slowly brewing in Utica. We also have Motte and Leivo on cheap contracts. The hope is to replace Sutter with Gaudette.

All garbage players unfortunately. You can't brew **** with junk.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Not that high on him. I see his value at a late 2nd/two 3rds at this point. I also don't mind if the Canucks just keep him.

He's very frustrating to watch when he's not engaged, which is a lot of the time.
My bet is flipping him for another prospect who hasn't lived up to expectations just like Chicago/Buffalo just did or a sweetener for Loui to attempt to move him. Who knows we shall see...

Cquant

May 14, 2015
All garbage players unfortunately. You can't brew **** with junk.
Leivo, Motte, MacEwan, Lind and Gaudette are garbage? You can't get an elite bottom 6 guy on a cheap contract that's also established. That's why we overpaid for Beagle and Sutter. I think at the least Gaudette and MacEwan can do some real damage at the NHL level in time.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Can very well see the Flames interested.

We need sort of cheap players who play his style of game, would be a solid addition to our third line.

Would do Frolik, Canucks get the better player who can help them sneak into the playoffs and boost thier their third line and Calgary sheds a few million and adds a solid addition.

Something like Frolik and a 4th for Virtanen(4 added to recoup for some of the salary taken on)

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Can very well see the Flames interested.

We need sort of cheap players who play his style of game, would be a solid addition to our third line.

Would do Frolik, Canucks get the better player who can help them sneak into the playoffs and boost thier their third line and Calgary sheds a few million and adds a solid addition.

Something like Frolik and a 4th for Virtanen(4 added to recoup for some of the salary taken on)

Yes because what we need is more forwards and more salary.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I know a buddy of his.
He was told around draft weekend to pack his bags, that his departure might be imminent.

Choose to believe or don't.

I'm done with Jake. I think he's the kind of personality that may be able to fit in to a team where he's the new guy and there is a solid culture, but I think he's corrosive here.

That said, I wouldn't give him up unless there's a reason. I WOULD give him up if we could get rid of Eriksson in the deal, but I don't think that's in the offing.

Sounds like that's your reason.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It seems like they do have a cap issue, considering that they have just over $5 million in space available to sign Boeser and Golbdobin.

Ya I just saw capfriendly, as it looks like Gauthier is on the outs what about Gauthier for Virtanen. Not sure if you need another C but our LW whole improving could use some size and grit. Gauthier has size, decent on draw and relatively cheap.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think Virtanen is a good enough sweetener to get someone to take on the albatross that is Loui Eriksson.

With that said, I find it absolutely hilarious that we're even discussing having to trade away Benning's 1st draft pick, 6th OA, just to move his first big UFA signing. What an absolutely disastrous draft and free agency period.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad