Rumor: TSN 1040: Paul Chapman / Sekeres - Most calls about Virtanen - Source

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I love Virtanen, but here might be a few reasons:

1) Canucks will need to save money for “the big 3” over the next two years. That means Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom. JV is an RFA that will need to be reupped. We might not be able to afford him.

2) Virtanen might need to be used as a sweetener to move Eriksson.
It's not like he's going to be making Jay Beagle money.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Replace Smith with Hainsey or Borowiecki and done deal.

No way. I wouldn’t do the proposed deal with Smith in it anyway. Ottawa does not need Eriksson for the next three years. An Eriksson for Ryan swap I would do. Not sure the Canucks would though.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Virtanen would be an odd guy to trade.

He can play and has the tools... but needs a lot of work. He may never get to being a top 6 or even a great 3rd line winger... but at the very worst he's a cheap fill-in.

Unless you are gaining something quite substantial... be it cap space... or maybe in a package to upgrade a position... I don't see much reason to move him.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Ya I just saw capfriendly, as it looks like Gauthier is on the outs what about Gauthier for Virtanen. Not sure if you need another C but our LW whole improving could use some size and grit. Gauthier has size, decent on draw and relatively cheap.

Goat is terrible. Barely an nhl player. Yuge pass.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Virtanen + Tanev for Ristolainen

Adds about $1M in cap hit to Vancouver but if they can find a taker for Sutter then they bring up Gaudette and they'll have enough to resign Boeser

Reactions: jonnygf40

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Gauthier from Toronto or Puuljujarvi from Edmonton? Colossal pass. Even Virtanen at his worst is better then those two.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
virtanen was in play in a deal for a right hand dman before they got myers. that ship has sailed. i don't see him traded for value or as a sweetener right now.

for now the canucks are hovering around having negative cap room to sign boeser. virtanen is very cheap. they more or less cannot trade him for value unless they move out a large salary first or at the same time to acquire breathing room. maybe if they get someone more valuable than virtanen back in return for virtanen and either tanev or sutter plus cap relief, but that seems unlikely.

i also don't think they quite have a gun to their head to move a large salary yet. they can waive eriksson and schaller if they have to in order to improve their cap situation. so i don't see them giving up virtanen as a sweetener either.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We have bottom six guys like MacEwan and Lind slowly brewing in Utica. We also have Motte and Leivo on cheap contracts. The hope is to replace Sutter with Gaudette.

Lind needs to make massive progression to even be considered for a callup. Boucher/Perron/MacEwen/Bailey are the candidates as of now.

Reactions: Szechwan

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Suffer through the years of kid-Jake just to watch him become man-Jake somewhere else. I'd rather not see that happen. You know that wherever Virtanen gets traded to, he is gonna break out, so you better be getting something as good as Virtanen could be because otherwise you're gonna get fleeced.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would love him in Boston. Bruins have big hole at RW after Pastrnak and have young d-men up the wazoo. Wonder if Gryz or Zboril or Lauzon would be of interest.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The desperation to get rid of him by Oilers fans is getting sad at this point.

Desperation? Holland met with him and tried convincing Puljujarvi to stay with a clean slate with a new GM and coach. The player refused. If anything it’s Puljujarvi that’s desperate to be moved

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Virtanen is big, blazing fast, and has a great shot. The guy looks like he’s tailor made for the playoffs. He’s progressing nicely and has vastly improved his defensive game, trusted by the coach to close out games in the final minutes now. His offensive game is decent; I expect him to become a consistent 20 goal scorer (20/25=45).

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I would be curious if he can fit MTL. We need a RW to play with Domi-Drouin or KK-Lehkonen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad