Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It would seem like the December 1st signing rule would apply to Tryamkin unless there is a different rule for players who played in a different professional league the previous season?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Tryamkin was signed at at camp this September, where would he slot in on the Canucks blueline? A lot of posters were saying 'third pairing', but I'm not so sure. I think there's a good chance he could supplant Tanev in the top-four.

I'm tired of seeing Tanev get rag-dolled along the wall. The big Russian would be a welcome addition dishing out some punishment to forecheckers instead of being on the receiving end.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Tryamkin was signed at at camp this September, where would he slot in on the Canucks blueline? A lot of posters were saying 'third pairing', but I'm not so sure. I think there's a good chance he could supplant Tanev in the top-four.

I'm tired of seeing Tanev get rag-dolled along the wall. The big Russian would be a welcome addition dishing out some punishment to forecheckers instead of being on the receiving end.
As much as I'd like to see him back..he's not a 1st pairing D-man...Could be a #4-5 ?...Also, playing in an inferior league is not helping his case.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
keep in mind that, if i was tryamkin and his agent, i'd be maintaining ties to the canucks and signalling a strong willingness to consider returning to the nhl and to the canucks even if he had no intention of doing so. that is his best bargaining lever with his khl team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't believe a team is allowed to pay for the buyout but the player himself is allowed. I'll try finding it but I'm sure it's happened before.
Teams aren't... the player would have to do it himself.

The only player that came close to doing something like this was whatever Malkin did to get out of his final yr to come over... 13 yrs ago. Even that was him giving 2 weeks notice type of thing. It was something funny like that.

Edit: MA1KIN: Escape from Russia

On Aug. 6, Malkin and his family were "invited" to a late-night lakeside meeting with team officials, including Velichkin and Rashnikov, the team president. Rashnikov began the meeting by expressing the team's desire to keep Malkin in Magnitogorsk for another year.

However, Malkin rebuffed Rashnikov's attempts to have him sign a new contract. So the extremely short meeting came to an end. Or so the Malkins thought.

Velichkin and another team official followed the Malkins to their home to continue negotiations. Though Malkin was never in any physical danger, the officials used every other method of coercion to get Malkin to sign a contract. They pushed him to stay for honor, pride and patriotism. They pushed him to stay for his family, community and country. They pushed him to show loyalty to the city and team that nurtured and honed his hockey skills. They even "explained" that his reputation would be tarnished and there would be a scandal if he were to "abandon" his team.

This went on for hours. Finally, at 2:30 a.m., an exhausted and defeated Malkin succumbed. Against his deepest desires he signed a one-year contract. As the Magnitogorsk officials left his home, Malkin told them: "You just killed my dream."

The 20-year-old Malkin went to his bedroom and cried.

The Great Escape
Malkin's spirit was crushed. He believed Metallurg had broken their promise, and had only the team's interests at heart. Malkin felt trapped. He signed a new contract with Metallurg under duress, and worse, the team had confiscated his passport. Even if he wanted to escape, he couldn't.
But Malkin didn't give up hope. He sought aide from his North American agents Pat Brisson and J.P. Barry of IMG Hockey, asking them to find a way to get him to Pittsburgh.

"After I had the contract signed, I felt so upset and felt deceived by Velichkin," Malkin told the Tribune-Review in 2006. "I felt something had to be done about that, so I phoned J.P. the next day and asked him to help me leave. I was so determined."

Barry and his team hatched an escape plan.
Metallurg had a tournament scheduled to take place in Helsinki, Finland. Since the team had to fly internationally, the club was forced to give Malkin his passport so that he could clear customs.
The team plane touched down on Finnish soil on Aug. 12. Malkin disembarked, passport in hand, grabbed his hockey bag and disappeared.

Barry and Olga McQueen, a Russian native that lived in Vancouver and worked for Barry, were waiting for Malkin upon his arrival at the airport. The three of them sneaked away from the airport and went into hiding.

Speculation was widespread from news organizations, blogs and radio stations. No one, it seemed, knew where Malkin was. Not his teammates. Not his friends. Not even his family, as Vladimir and Natalia didn't know where their son was.

It was an international mystery.

The plan was for Evgeni to stay under the radar and out of sight until he could secure a fast-tracked visa via the U.S. Consulate in Helsinki. In the meantime, Malkin, Barry and McQueen were holed up in an apartment under fake names. The agency hired security guards, though merely as a precaution as they didn't foresee any physical danger.

After five days on the run, Malkin obtained a visa for America. That same day he and his agents boarded a flight for Los Angeles. Once he arrived in America, his agents filed another two-week notice with Magnitogorsk. Though Metallurg threatened legal action without a transfer agreement between the NHL and Russian Federation there was little the team could do.

"I wish things could have been done in a different way, amicably," Malkin told the Tribune-Review. "It (was) a very difficult decision for me to make. But I knew that I had to do that. Velichkin said if I leave that there can be a huge, huge scandal, which obviously has happened. But I do know that now I am in the right place for myself."

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

You might be right that he could belong in the top 4 on merit. In practice, regardless of whether he did or not, I don't think they'd play him there at the beginning of the season. He might get moved up on merit later in the year, but as I see it:

Edler-Stecher has worked well in the past
Hughes-Tanev gives the young free wheeler Hughes the benefit of someone who is positionally solid

That leaves Benn-Myers as the other pair.

Imo Hughes-Myers, which is the pair many are touting, isn't the best fit. They'd be really exciting and pretty much certainly produce more offence than we're used to seeing from the defence, but very likely give up a lot of scoring against. I think Hughes needs a solid, conservative positional player, at least to begin, to cover up for his early positional mistakes due to lack of experience and to allow Hughes to make the most use of his freewheeling style.

I also wonder if Hughes might in some ways be a good fit for Tanev, in that Tanev might get ragdolled a lot less if Hughes was there to deal with zone exits. Maybe Tanev would spend more time healthy enough to be effective if he absorbed fewer hits.

So I don't see Tryamking starting the season ahead of Tanev on the right. I also doubt he'd supplant Stecher as a partner for Edler in the early season.

Actually, it's hard to find a good place in the top six to fit Tryamkin in. He might be more effective than Myers or Benn (or possibly anybody else) but there's a reasonable chance he'd run into the situation where it was hard for him to earn a look. Neither $6 million dollar defender is going to start the season in the pressbox so if Hughes-Tanev and Edler-Stecher begin the season, Tryamkin would have to supplant Benn. He might, but also might not and might not get much opportunity.

I also find it hard to imagine that Tryamkin would get the start over Hughes. Even if Hughes were to start poorly, he's the face of the young untried player hopes for selling tickets and the team's history is those guys stick with the team and play.

If Tanev is traded or allowed to walk, there is a potentially better opportunity for Tryamkin to fit in starting 2020-21. If he were with the Canucks again starting next month he might run into a situation where he wouldn't get a reasonable look, to the frustration of everyone.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I always thought Tryamkin was a little bit overrated. If he comes back, I don't see him more than number 4/5 D level type of D

This. He showed up out of shape and played mediocre at best and yet expected to be given high quality ice time. Canuck entitlement at its finest. In his time in the KHL it appears he has regressed if anything. Trade his rights and move on. He's not playing here again...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Nikita had another assist today in Avtomobilist's 3-2 shootout win. His 17:45 of ice time suggests he's being used on the bottom pairing. @FroshaugFan2 ?
Don't they play 4 D pairings?
17:45 would suggest top pairing mins (or 2nd)... if you found his mins.. what were the rest of dmen? That would tell you more about how he was relatively used...

Edit: quick search shows 21 skaters were iced. Avtomobilist - Google Search

Will look for a more detailed breakdown with ice time.

Edit 2:
Nope... 6 D. was 5th in ice time. 4th and 5th dmen had 28 shifts. 6th dman had 14:49 mins and26 shifts.
Game summary: Avtomobilist - Metallurg Mg : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Looks like a little babysitting duty..
Did the other 3 gms look like this as well?
Edit 3:
Scores & Schedules - 2019/2020 - Regular season - Avtomobilist (Ekaterinburg) : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Pretty much... he's played 4/5 type mins so far.

Hope they do this to him all year... (but hope due to politics)

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I would like to see Tryamkin back. If we make the playoffs, Hughes stecher edler and tanner will find it hard to handle the grind. Woo might of signed by then though, and get taste. Of course, Juolevi needs to be considered.

But Myers Tryamkin Benn and Juolevi are big boys, Woo is average, tanev has injury problems, Edler is getting old, stecher and Hughes are undersized. All in all this team could use a big body like Tryamkin for depth for the future, particularly if they ever make it to the playoffs again.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Actually, I look like a hybrid of Jack Nicholson and Tim Hunter. I’ll leave it to your imagination.

giphy.gif

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Tryamkin is fine with me if he can be brought back as a 5th/6th... $2-$3 mil per year d-man. Basically he would maybe replace Benn now.

Not a top pairing d-man though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->